what happens when a host goes out of business?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by fixer, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fixer

fixer “You're a daisy if you do!”

+413
    i can see it happening without notice all data is lost? is there a law to where they have to give you time to make a back up?

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,843
    Usually some of their creditors pulls the plug, there isn't any time to make backups.

3. Staxed

Staxed Staxalicious

+14
    This is really an impossible question to answer, as it depends on the host...and there are so many different hosts run in multiple different ways. There are many fly by night hosts that are just in it for a quick buck...they get as many clients as they can by offering crazy cheap prices and then they just delete their website and run.

Then of course you have actual businesses, that for some reason or another get bought out, or not making a profit...but in the end, those ones try to close up properly by providing backups, giving a certain amount of notice, etc.

I used to run a hosting company (still run a small private one for friends) and when I closed up shop I gave a months notice, provided backups to whoever needed, and also lined up a hosting company that I researched and vetted that I thought was a standup/good company and pointed people in their direction. So it really just depends on the morals of the person/people running the host.

As for laws, that would depend on the country you are in...but for the most part, you are paying monthly for a service...and lawsuits against something like this would cost more than you'd win...unless you are making big figures, and then you should be keeping your own backups/etc anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,628
    As has been said, there is no definitive answer but in general by the time you work out what's happened, the plug has already been pulled and you are left out of pocket and reliant on those daily backups you wish you'd been taking. It's also not unheard of for the administrators to hold your data to ransom in order to try and offset the debt.

5. KnownHost

KnownHost Sponsor

+50
    The best answer someone can give you is "it depends".
    I've personally been in the industry for over 20 years and I've seen all kind of companies come and go.

If it's a financial situation then I've absolutely watched the plug get pulled and some customers never saw their data again.

Other times it's a planned closure and people are given 30-45 days to get out. I'd say there's no real law that defines this as it's a civil matter so if they close down your only recourse is to sue them and/or whomever may be in possession of the servers / data.

This is why everyone stresses that backups are important, and it's very important to keep a copy off-site as well as you just never know what may happen.

6. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+114
    Right. I've even seen a friend's site taken out but a datacenter fire which hit his server and its backups. So you have to sort of run and backup your site as if it could burn down at anytime.

7. KnownHost

KnownHost Sponsor

+50
    Death by fire... that is just horrible luck. :(

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,648
    Well backup in the same structure equals no backup at all. Backups need to be kept of premises if that is done you always have a backup.

9. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,318
    They at least need to be kept on a different server.

10. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,042
    Um... I've experienced very similar issues and have posted extensively about it on TAZ.
    A few threads of interest perhaps:
    What I'd suggest is that regardless of what sort of hosting plan you have - that you keep secure backups of your server locally. It's an insurance of sorts that if the host goes down or simply disappears without notice - you'll have your data securely located in another location.

J.

11. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,394
    Only if you aren't prepared. Anyone running a site should be doing daily backups and having those backups stored off-site (that means outside) from the data center where hosted. Preferably with another hosting provider.
    It's not that hard and can easily be automated using rsync for transfer and a simple script ran as a cron job. It's easy enough to even automate so that the backups get transferred to your local computer daily.

If you lose your data because of your provider closing up shop, there's nobody to blame but the admin.

12. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,008
    Once a host goes down, your most practical contingency plan is a recent, restorable full backup. Lacking one can spell your site's permanent demise.

Forget the temporary downtime, users losing trust in management could make them leave to create a separate site. It's much easier to pull this nowadays and a downtime is the perfect opportunity for the most active concerned users to hijack control of a community, so migrating data would be wiser than wasting time chasing after an uncooperative webhost that did not even warn you early enough to plan for your next move.

13. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+542
    If it cannot be restored, it is not a backup. It's just some junk bits and bytes.

14. Tracy Perry

+3,394
    And those that rely on phpMyAdmin to do their DB backups get what they deserve. :ROFLMAO:

Do not EVER rely on the backups provided by phpMyAdmin. To often the process times out and you may "think" you have a valid backup and you don't.

15. fixer

fixer “You're a daisy if you do!”

+413
    i dont even know if i have the capabillities to do a local backup of file system and database humm it would be quite large and unmanageable (thats what she said)

16. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,042
    You should create and post a step-by-step how-to.
    I'm sure many would appreciate it! :tup:

J.

17. Tracy Perry

+3,394
    Depends on if you are on a VPS/Dedi, shared hosting and have shell access. There are many ways to do it that are already well documented.

18. rhody401

rhody401 Neophyte

+3
    This has happened many times in the past, as can a disaster. One time, the ISP I was using was damaged when the Word Trade Center towers fell. The people all survived, but the center was out of commission for weeks. (physical damage, no commercial power, as well as the phone company central office supplying it's data lines was destroyed)

I would think someone above a failing ISP would simply cut the cord, whether it be space, power, or internet. No matter what, you'd be cut off. Doing your own off-site daily backups is important. I do them twice daily, just in case. (cron to back up to unique filename for day of the week and period, then an automated script that grabs the files twice daily from my home PC) I don't trust the ISP to do this for me. I learned after 9/11. (fortunately we did have backups from a day earlier)

I don't believe there is a law to protect from this, as it would force someone to provide services to them for free.

19. unisecureus

unisecureus Aspirant

+1
    First of all, you just check your data Backup, If you does not have back-up then check another hosting company and asked them about transferring your data.

20. Splinter2

Splinter2 Aspirant

+10
    This happened to me last December and although I had a fairly recent backup, I decided to start from scratch with a new host, new domain name and new software. For me anyway, it was a blessing in disguise since the original host neither cared for my account or the security of the hosting (multiple PayPal spoofs).
    In some ways they did me a favour and I was able to email all my forum members, most of whom came back.
    Every cloud and all that...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.