What graphics tablet would you suggest

Discussion in 'Graphics Discussion and Help' started by steve00, Jan 2, 2018.

1. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    This is a question for you graphic artists etc

I am thinking of purchasing a tablet to mainly edit photo's (possibly some other work but mainly photo editing) but am way confused by all the reviews, tips etc being given on the web

Some say 'small' is ok for photo editing and medium for drawing and others say the opposite so you can see my dilemma as do not want to purchase wrong size (or make) due to the mixed reviews out there

Have checked most of the youtube reviews of graphics tablets and again some say that will be good enough and others say it won't.

So thought would ask people on here who actually do graphic work their opinion.

I know Wacom is the main name out there and have been looking at this one

Am a bit limited on money but can go a bit more if anyone can recommend anything else or any other help it would be appreciated

Thanking in advance

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,008
    My recommendation would depend on wether you're sedentary (working mostly in an office, on a laptop/desktop) or mobile.

If you need mobile use, you need devices with the lowest touch latency, then decent pens and apps tuned for input latency that low.
    An ipad/mini with the pen might be the best option with the superior app ecosystem. A Shield tablet with a pen will also work great (really good, cheap).

A higher quality tablet will be better than a worse, larger tablet.
    A bigger difference can be perceived from the slate providing visual feedback directly, instead of on the computer screen.

3. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Thanks for reply.

Will be home use on a 23" monitor

If you mean those tablets that show image on tablet then not an option as way too expensive for me (good idea though)

4. LeadCrow

+2,008
    Cintiqs are just overpriced windows10 tablets. Surfaces with their pen are a match for them and can be found much cheaper.

Have you considered just getting a good pen for whatever mobile/tablet you already use? It might not make it dedicaced hardware but results could be good enough for your use cases already.

5. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Currently do not have a tablet

I had one many years ago and decided to dig it out last week to give it another try and noticed was for the win98 era and no drivers for it to use in windows 10 (company apparently went bust somewhere many moons ago)

Would you believe since posting the link in my original post that tablet has gone up in price massively so am now looking around again at some of the less known brands

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,650
    Wacom are good but expensive, why not look at a Huion tablets they get good reviews and are less expensive. For example Wacom Cintique is 799,95 dollars for the 13” HD, the Huion 15,6” is 480 dollars. They have more tablets including normal tablets there cheaper then Wacom and work well.

7. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Yes, been looking at them but they appear to not have as many 'features' as Wacom (good or bad I have no idea) and some reviews are disappointing (same with ugee) so thought would stay away from those at the moment (appears theHuion is more availabe in US than it is in UK)

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,650
    Yes the features are less but the price point is far better of Huion you’ll need to ask your self do i need it all. I am not a professional so why would I invest in a highend tablet that cost me a arm and a leg. Huion can be bought at Amazon DE (i know they have them because i bought mine there) I have no idea if Amazon UK has them.

9. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Yes Amazon UK does but seller is in China so afraid not risking that

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,650
    I have bought it and no issue, also dont forget to be on Amazon they have to sign a contract and if they get to many complaints Amazon will cancel the contract that is not in their best interst. Also it fulfilled by amazon, so its in their warehouse.

11. LeadCrow

+2,008
    Wacoms handles palm detection better, but its not a killer function worth the price premium.
    If your budget is tight, a Shield tablet with its pen would likely serve you better (roaming, gaming and more).

I rarely use oldschool tablets nowadays since they require access to a computer. Visual feedback improves worklow significantly enough smaller screens and a quality hit are acceptable and can be compensated with skill and higher fidelity.

12. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+206
    I never considered one of these but this discussion has intrigued me. This one is pretty cheap:
    http://amzn.to/2CCc4D4

How do you get these things to work with Adobe Photoshop? Is it the mobile version of Photoshop that you install on it? It's this line that confuses me:

"This drawing monitor can be compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac OS. Also can work in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Autodesk Sketchbook,Corel Painter,Autodesk MAYA, ZBrush etc software."

Also... Are these much better than, say, a Samsung S whatever they're up to now?

13. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,650
    No you install either Creative Cloud or an older version on your PC or Mac. After that you connect the tablet to the USB and Videocard it becomes a second monitor. You draw then on the tablet only its like a iPad with pressure sensitivity. BTW if you have a iPad pro you can buy this https://www.theverge.com/2015/12/9/9877872/duet-ipad-monitor-price-date its not as good as a tablet but to practise it should do good.

14. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+206
    Thank you for the explanation. I might have to get one of these things. I just use a monitor and a mouse right now. I imagine this is much better...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,650
    Its a learning curve before you can use a tablet as good as a mouse your months further. But when you have control you can do everything with a tablet even browsing internet.

16. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Thanks for all the help

Have purchased Wacom Intuos (small) and will see how I get on with it

Likely take a while to get use to pen instead of mouse but will see how it goes.

17. stijl

stijl Aspirant

+3
    Wacom’s higher end is expensive but keep in mind it should last you and work flawlessly longer than the cheaper competition. Wacom does offer some “entry level” equipment and would stay away from that.

18. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Can you elaborate on the 'entry level' ?

As mentioned am using the Intuois (small) and it is taking me quite a while to see what can and cannot do with it

19. Angryfrodo

Angryfrodo Coder/Designer

+259
    I prefer a good pencil and a nice piece of paper. I just don't get the ideas I have out the same way on a tablet. For me a screen at least to draw on would be a must-have, I cannot work with a tablet that has no screen, regardless it just doesn't feel or sound the same, something about the medium just messes with me. Tablets are a tool like any other, something you can certainly get used to, but drawing it out and then working over it in Illustrator/Photoshop has always worked great for me. Regardless, there's lots of options out there. Most of those with screens are typically higher cost items, perhaps you could consider financing options as well for those 'high ticket' items. A cyntique has certainly always been a dream for me, because they seem really nice, however they are quite overpriced.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.