What E-shop software should I choose

Discussion in 'Blogs, Wikis, and other CMP's' started by Kamahl, May 1, 2012.

1. Kamahl

Kamahl Developer

+4
    Hi guys,

I would like to start the business and I need to choose a cart software. I have decided to use free solution because I am able to customize it.

I want to ask you if you have experience with some open source cart softwares. I need it to be easy to customize and create template, with active community, at least little documentation..

I have found Prestashop but I think it is really a mess. Then I have found Open Cart which looks pretty well. However there are about 10 cart modules for WordPress so maybe this would be a good choice too, but I dont know which is the best.

Thank you for your advices

2. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+188
    From experience I know that there are two types of software:

Paid software that is writen by people who have food from them and is usually nicely writen.

Open source software that is writen by people who "want to have shop" but have no idea how to make it and are just learning.

Except Magento (which requires VPS or more to run reasonably) every other webstore software I saw is either oscommerce fork or other code of such quality: a soup of HTML and PHP that requires you to rewrite PHP code to style your software appearance let alone change its behaviour.

3. Kamahl

Kamahl Developer

+4
    Are you telling there is no good open source Eshop?

4. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+188
    Pretty much. But if you find something interesting feel free to pm' me, I am looking for good option myself.

5. Kamahl

Kamahl Developer

+4
    Well I would like to test some WP eshops, I think there have to be a good open source solution. There usually is one good open source solution for pretty much everything.

Do you know some forum like this one but focused on ecommerce instead of communities?

6. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+188
    Sorry, nothing for english speakers.

7. MitraX

MitraX Aspirant

+0
    I agree with you, it's a mess.
    I tried almost all free eshops and found OpenCart as the best one for my needs. Good coding standard, doesn't require a lot of resources, easy to modify and create templates...
    Many of them lack advanced features and are not easy to maintenance.

However, if you want to have ecommerce integrated with a CMS maybe you should try Virtuemart (http://virtuemart.net/) for Joomla (Virtuemart 2.0 is compatible with the latest Joomla v2.5)

8. CMOBOSS

CMOBOSS Devotee

+56
    :help:

I am on the hunt for a few ecom scripts to check out also. i have a friend that has a friend, with the need for a serious upgrade to his product website.

i am trying to find some script combinations that will replace and improve the IMO out dated website that he is running presently.

Is opencart still the best recommendation?

9. R_E_D

R_E_D Neophyte

+2
    I read this article some time ago - maybe it's helpful for you? I am not that profound in this topic but I think it's pretty good for a first overview...

• Like Like x 1
  10. rockden

rockden Aspirant

+0
    i recommended you paid services for Eshop

11. corbon2013

corbon2013 Neophyte

+0
    Paid software is better for me. And Customization is important here. So my suggestion to you is always use paid software.

12. corbon2013

corbon2013 Neophyte

+0
    I have purchased two paid software and they perform well enough as my expectation.

13. rockden

rockden Aspirant

+0
    if you use e shop software so i think best google checkout services i really like these services and i always prefer google check out nice job keep it up

14. aragorn

aragorn Participant

+5
    How come noone has mentioned PrestaShop? I've tried to implement eshops with opencart, magento, wp plugins etc, but I found PrestaShop to be the more complete one.

It has a huge library of add-ons and skins, all of which cost $$$ but I think it's one of the best options out there.

15. engineer1964

engineer1964 hoc foro magna est

+51
    I think the OP did mention Prestashop but he states that its a mess? Not sure in what way.

I've always used OSCommerce for my online stores i had a businesses with a OSCommerce site and a custom skin and it worked a treat, used it for a good 3 or 4 years till i sold the business

16. aragorn

aragorn Participant

+5
    Yup you are right I missed it lol

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted