What Does YaBB Have That Others Don't?

Discussion in 'YaBB' started by curt_grymala, Nov 12, 2005.

1. richfaraone

richfaraone Aspirant

+0
    ps: It's also the best looking and formatted board...

2. hhawk

hhawk Aspirant

+0
    It also seems mor ecustom than others... it gives the more of an easy chance to add Board Mods that are reg members... It is just easy to use also!!

3. Kipper

Kipper Neophyte

+0
    One thing that always stood out to me with Yabb is that it is simply a good looking BB. I've been using it since 1.4 and when they updated the looks with the tabs and everything for 2.2 that really seperated it from other forums as far as looks are concerned. PHPBB3 doesn't look all that much different from previous versions, vbulletin has pretty much the same standard appearance as it did 4 years ago and so on. I've received many compliments on my Yabb forums looks and all I do is simply mess with the colors.

It's also simple to use and performance wise is fast. We run 3 Message Boards (2 sub sites) on one host and have no problems at all speed wise or any errors. I'm looking forward to 2.3 where the use of JS for posting messages will speed up performance big time (standardizing the quick reply box).

4. Outumuro

Outumuro TAZXbar Publisher

+2
    Agreed, Y2.3 is looking great... should be released very soon. :)

5. c0ldshadow

c0ldshadow Aspirant

+0
    yabb is just awesome.. i have site with 250,000 + posts and its runs smoothly.

one of the best things about no database --- no threat for SQL Injection!!=)

6. crackers8

crackers8 Developer

+0
    A lot of people like YaBB for the lack of a database. Granted, we are going to have to have database support soon because we lose people too... but those that choose YaBB often do it for the flat file. We'll plan to support both ;)

Version 2.4 is out now.

7. Another great feature of YaBB - my old hosting service went kablooey on both my YaBB forums. The MySQL databases other people were using for their forums were barely accessible. I, on the other hand, was able to backup and download both my forums via FTP and move them to a new hosting service in less than fifteen minutes each. I chose YaBB because I'm a Perl monger - and I love flat-files.

8. crackers8

crackers8 Developer

+0
    Glad there are still flat file lovers out there. We still are going to have to go with the masses and support MySQL, but the plan is to support flat file as an alternate option too. Once we get to that point, I'm sure we'll stick to our flat file roots but add options for other database types. The challenge right now is the number of and time available for developers.

9. mike68657

mike68657 Guest

+0
    For one, it means that YaBB will work on servers that don't offer php or databases (there are still quite a few servers that might offer php support, but don't offer their customers databases - which renders all php forums useless).

10. And just to add to this thread - YaBB 3 is firmly on its feet again for development and should offer even more great features.

11. OTNexus

OTNexus Participant

+1
    Yeah, like anyone is going to use or sign up with hosting that doesn't allow PHP, your argument is invalid.

12. You'd be surprised at how many weird combinations of non-functionality are being offered to people who don't know better - or don't find out until after they've signed up.

PHP without mySQL, mySQL with 1 database with strict size limitations, the list goes on.

I still like YaBB.

13. OTNexus

OTNexus Participant

+1
    Whoever uses a flat based system for file storing is absolutely insane. LOL Have fun sorting through files and organizing data...
    YaBB Is a dead project and is horrible. I can debate anyone, anytime about why flat file storing is a huge fail. Bring it.

14. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to make you use it.

• Like Like x 1