What does the "v" in vBulletin stand for?

Jack_Rouse

Use The Force
Visual as in Visual Bulletin (board) the original name for forums

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBulletin

Wikipedia said:
In 1999 James E. Limm and John Percival were running a Visual Basic website using Infopop's UBB.classic forum software on VB Forums. As their site grew, they noticed that their software, written in Perl using a flat-file database, could not always cope with the number of users they had. In February 2000, the two decided that it would be better to write their own solution as both were unfamiliar with the software's code and thus unable to optimize it. Initially, it was designed solely as a rewrite of UBB, in PHP using MySQL, and was meant only for their own forum. Other UBB owners expressed interest in the solution, and they offered to sell it to Infopop, but their proposal was rejected. As there was still a demand for the software, Limm and Percival created Jelsoft and released their work as a paid solution, called vBulletin 1.

This appears to be the reason for the name, assuming that the Wikipedia article is correct of course.

Nudaii

Adherent
ask the lone ranger i imagine..

Seriously dad watches the old shows.. he is like google in a hat. *groans*

tonto : uh kemosabe i see a man
Lone Ranger : a man you say? black hat? one eye? pinto pony?
tonto : yes kemosabe!
Lone Ranger : John wilson, he was put away 15 years ago for robbery, i recall he had a kid brother this way, his brother now runs a goat farm.
tonto :*looks in awe*

AdamD

Devotee
Villainous Bulletin Board.
or
Villainous "Morally bankrupt" Bulletin Board.

:p

SportsBomb

Adherent
Vaseline, because you're going to need it after Internet Brands gets done with you.

HTML

Big Board Coder
I can see this thread turning into a vB bashing one, to... Just like all of the others about vBulletin.

DemOnstar

50 years in the making
I can see this thread turning into a vB bashing one, to... Just like all of the others about vBulletin.

Yep, me too..
Can't be too sure of the reasons why.........

It dumbfounds me sometimes that people feel the need to consistently bash the most highly respected and regarded, purely forum software platform in existence...

Vb4 is awesome....