What does 'power-hungry' mean?

Discussion in 'Members & Staff' started by sakuchan, Feb 18, 2010.

1. sakuchan

sakuchan Adherent

+2
    Whenever you say someone is power hungry, what does this mean?

I understand it as someone who just is in it for the position and not helping the community.

2. MattR

MattR MyBB Support Team Lead

+5
    I see it as banning/deleting posts/etc 'because they can'. You're right, they don't want to just moderate the forum and keep it clean, they want to just use their powers.

I once got accused of being power hungry for banning someone who constantly broke the rules and insulted people. How I laughed. I should have banned them long before I did, and given them a longer ban than I did, so how that could be considered being power hungry, I'll never know, I was in fact very lenient.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,025
    People driven by their ego, instead of the general benefit (of a community or project, for example). Basically valuing themselves or their whims so much theyd neglect or sacrifice whatever to keep whatever egoboosting way they had, and cling to it with force.
    Only the (typically pathetic) excuses really differ.

In the case of admins, 'digital dictators' wouldnt be an inappropriate term.

4. MattR

+5
    If an admin becomes power hungry they'd soon find themselves to be running an empty forum.

5. hari

hari Tazmanian

+43
    A lot of forums which flourish are killed by bad admins and it makes me very sad.

I understand the value of every person who takes the trouble to sign up on my forum because ironically I get very few members these days. Running forums has become harder and harder, in the face of competition from the social media and the really established ones.

6. Earache

Earache Aspirant

+1
    Do as I say not as I do is one way to be power hungry.

I have known some people to be power hungry.

One forum I once belonged to the admins and owners even admitted to reading members pms.

7. vsryan

vsryan Aspirant

+0
    Yep, never a good way to go. Most forums these days seem to have this problem, but it develops over time until you have a core of people behaving in this way.

8. Noles

Noles paypal+

+75
    Someone who tries to get more than they rightfully should, and continue to do so. Usually the person will also act like they are better then everyone else (especially the people who have the position they want).

9. Rockatteer

Rockatteer Devotee

+68
    Yep, that's pretty much it. They're there to be the "important person with all the power of running the site" rather than to actually run the site and make ity better.

10. SamWebsyntax

SamWebsyntax phpBB Website Team

+13
    I was a technical administrator on a forum a while back, but the main admin basically appeared out of nowhere, rose through the ranks, from Moderator, to administrator, in record time due to his ability to smooth talk his way though everything. He then managed to get this internet girlfriend on staff as a co-admin. Constantly making decisions that severely impacted the forum in a negative manor, and without even first thinking to consult any other person on staff before doing it, he wasn't MOD power hungry, he was Admin power hungry. He never accepted any answer other than his own, and failed to see his constant screw ups were causing people to ultimately leave the forum.

That is basically one form of being Power Hungry. Making decisions because you can, not because it is necessary the correct way to proceed.

11. SherryLynn

SherryLynn Aspirant

+1
    Power hungry is when someone wants all the power. They want all the control. A little is not enough and they want more and more. Someone who is power hungry doesn't want to be in control of only themselves, but to be able to decide the fate of more and more people.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  12. TheZoink

TheZoink Aspirant

+0
    A person who craves an insane amount of power constantly. The person will sacrifice any and all of his time in order to gain more power.

13. BlueLeafeon

BlueLeafeon Enthusiast

+1
    Two of my members call me power-hungry quite often, but when I ask my other members (privately) about it, they say I'm fine. I think those particular two members are just in their "rebellious teen" stage and dislike it when I exercise authority. (Even if it's not them that's getting punished.)

14. PeterPP

PeterPP Aspirant

+0
    I have also been accused of the same thing but from people who are basically troublemakers to begin with, constantly breaking rules and misbehaving and then eventually getting banned.

15. MattR

+5
    Exactly. I guess it's a defence mechanism, make out the mod is the bad guy when really you're just doing your job and they're the ones who broke the rules to warrant what they got.

16. SpectreFire

SpectreFire Aspirant

+0
    I lost my first mod job because I called out an admin for being power-hungry. The guy was a major Apple fanboy and kept deleting anything bad users wrote about Apple. I unbanned certain people he banned and he got pissed and kicked me from the job. Caused a bit of stir in the forums and an exodus of most of the senior users, we eventually created our own forum. Since then, that place has constantly seen trouble with enforcing rules and keeping the place clean. Didn't help that the owner just kept adding fire to the chaos by trolling his own forums and kicking good staff and replacing them with his favorite forum users.

17. Successor

Successor Enthusiast

+2
    Unless they share their authority with other admins and want it all for themselves, I think it's kind of difficult for an administrator to be power hungry. On the board they administrate, they should pretty much already be able to do anything and be at the top of the ladder. This may be a bit of an extreme example, but it would be like calling God power hungry. He probably already has all the power there is to get, so what is left to be hungry for?

However, I can definitely see an admin wanting what some more successful board has. More members, more posts, more influence... what have you. I suppose someone who would do ANYTHING to get that and would never want to stop would be power hungry.

This topic seems to be more geared toward power abuse, but I suppose this may just be splitting hairs.

18. Drakon

Drakon Participant

+1
    I disagree.

It IS possible for an administrator to be power hungry.

To me, an administrator becomes power hungry when they start throwing in arbitrary rules, banning people for disagreeing viewpoints, trampling on the decisions of the moderators and other staff "because they are the admin", etc.

19. hari

hari Tazmanian

+43
    It's power abuse, not hunger. :D

Power abuse: using your position of power to intimidate/threaten or otherwise arbitrarily exercise them.
    Power hunger: seeking ways and means to increase power/position etc. etc.

But apart from the terminology I agree. It's easy to abuse power as admin, but very difficult to get the trust of people and become respected.

20. Drakon

Drakon Participant

+1
    There can be a little overlap here.

The examples I gave can be examples of both abuse/hunger.

Abuse for the more obvious reasons and hunger because the admin is seeking more control over forum members (seeking a means to increase power).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted