What does it takes to be a sucessful forum admin?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by fixer, Jun 15, 2019.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,448
    Absolutely not.

I do practice what I preach, which is to try and see both points of view and tread the middle path. For the record I'm a legal gun owner in the UK and have a long standing enthusiasm for anything capable of firing a projectile. I'm also quite happy that my guns securely locked away at the local firing range.

2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,456
    Exactly

The trouble with doing this is that, those people are very sensitive.(both right and left) and they will abandon you at the slightest disagreement. So it will only get you a busy forum for a short while.

3. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,080
    You could even say, being able to start and successfully manage a forum that deals with a sensitive or divisive subject, is something of an acid test for a good admin.

4. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,167
    again with these recent comments in this thread i don't know how this subject changed towards my forum

this is a general thread i started i don't need help with my forum

i dont even have to visit my forum it runs its self and the staff keeps it between the guard rails

at this point all i focus on is exposure

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,080
    If you meant my comment just above, it wasn't directed at your forum. I've never been to your forum and I don't know what it's about. We've been talking about what it takes to be a good admin. Based on the last few comments, I think that managing to run a forum that covers divisive subjects, such as politics, religion, gender issues, etc. requires most, if not all, of the qualities mentioned throughout this thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.