What do you want to see in the next YaBB version?

Discussion in 'YaBB' started by ArcticFlood, Oct 22, 2005.

1. ArcticFlood

ArcticFlood Participant

+0
    Out of curosity (and also cause I want a feel for what YaBB can do better), I want to know what features or other improvements you want to see in the next YaBB version.

2. Leilani

Leilani Fan

+2
    The feature I would most like to see would be having individual posts moved to the recycle bin when deleted by a moderator. Currently, the recycle bin feature only supports entire threads that have been deleted.

Next on my wish-list would be automatic thumbnails for picture attachments, to make the pages load faster for dial-up users (like me :( ).

3. donmc

donmc Neophyte

+0
    RSS support out of the box!

4. Outumuro

Outumuro TAZXbar Publisher

+2
    Integration mods for the top blog and CMS packages.

5. Juvenall

Juvenall Aspirant

+0
    Humm, it could be fun to see a YaBB/Movable Type intergration...:whistle:

6. Outumuro

+2
    Yes it would! Am I that obvious?! :tiphat: :D

7. curt_grymala

curt_grymala Participant

+0
    I really want to see YaBB allow you to quote a user, while giving the original poster credit, without having to press the "quote" button.

In other words, it would be extremely nice to see:
    Code:
    [[i][/i]quote="curt_grymala"]This is a quote[/quote]
    work in YaBB.

8. Juvenall

Juvenall Aspirant

+0
    So basically, how vB does it, right? The way you see it, would this be another option or a replacement of our current quotes system?

9. curt_grymala

curt_grymala Participant

+0
    The way I see it, this would be an extra way of handling quotes. I really like the way YaBB normally handles its quotes (linking to the original source), but sometimes it's nice just to be able to quote something off the top of your head (or quote multiple instances of something) and still be able to attribute it to someone.

[edit]But yes, to answer your original question, it would be like the way vB, phpBB, and a few others handle quotes.[/edit]

10. Andy The Astronomer

Andy The Astronomer Neophyte

+0
    I'd love to see database connectivity.....I have some great ideas for our forums which would necessitate connection to something like MySQL.

11. curt_grymala

curt_grymala Participant

+0
    It would be nice (if possible in any way) to see YaBB somehow test a file before actually attempting to write to it. If there was some sort of check, it would go a long way toward solving all of the problems that occur when a server runs out of space. I don't even have a clue how something like that would be implemented, but it would be awesome to see it.

12. StudyingDragon

StudyingDragon Aspirant

+0
    I'd like to see more information about users posted in the view/delete users page in admin. Like being able to see there emails without going into each file individually. Also more info on user IP addresses please.

13. shanda

shanda Aspirant

+0
    To expand on this a bit, I too would like to see individual posts sent to the recyle bin and also the name of the moderator who deleted it if that is possible.

I also like your idea of automatic thumbnails. Great post! Personally I have EXTREME CABLE (nuthin but net' baby) but our members are mostly people over 40 years old and I think some of their computers are too :bonk:

14. DontShootImUnarmed

DontShootImUnarmed Neophyte

+2
    What I would like to see in YaBB

Am I missing something?:shifty: I can't see a spellchecker in there!

15. Outumuro

+2
    Hi DSIU,

YaBB 2.x does not have a spell checker built-in. However there is a spell check mod over on BoardMod (YaBB's modding community) called SpelChek v2.0 for YaBB 2.

The best spell checker... isn't associated with any particular forum, yet it works on every forum. Also works on web forms. Doesn't have any of those annoying pop-ups that most forum spell checkers use. It's fast, simple, works in a dozen languages, and... it's the best spell checker you're going to find. It's called the...

Google Toolbar. :wave:

16. crazyleaf

crazyleaf Enthusiast

+0
    I would like to see the "Upload user avatar" option integrated. The mod doesn't work for me.

17. kyteroo

kyteroo Aspirant

+0
    Post/Message Icons changer

I'd like to see a Admin gadget where I can very easily add new Post icons and new names for what these icons mean without having to hardcode it myself by altering the php myself.

--> My definition of Post Icons (if you need clarification):
    I am talking about the very same icons that are called 'post icons' on this forum - the ones with the ? mark, ! mark, paper, thumbs down, thumbs up, arrow, and so on. I am not talking about the smilies like ' :bonk: ' and ' :bs: '.

Thanks!

18. richfaraone

richfaraone Aspirant

+0
    I would like to see all the mods included in the distro waiting to be activated in the CP.

BTW, regarding the spell check, if you use Firefox, it will underline in red all misspelled words.

19. kyteroo

kyteroo Aspirant

+0
    concerning the BTW comment:
    I'm surprised no one has commented yet on this. Firefox underlines all words that is not in its pathetically lacking spelling check dictionary. Therefore, most words that are spelled correctly is underlined.

List of words that were not underlined in above paragraph:
    no, one, has on, Firefox, all, is, not, in, most.

So much for Firefoxes spell checking capabilities. I'd hate to say this but, IE does better! Yuck! Did I really say that? :D

Back on Topic:
    I'd like to see a :D *cough one click of button to upgrade YaBB for those who are geniuses in the 1d10t department when it comes to upgrading things. See yours truly. lol I know this is not recommended. lol

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted