What do you use for a test environment?

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by kontrabass, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+23
    I have been toying with a virtual centos machine (VMware) on my mac, but am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to access it. For a while I had a 'clearance' server at my host that I used as a testbed. I may have to go back to that, but it was $70/month. What do you use? Local server? VMware? Dedicated server?

:)

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+236
    I use XAMPP for Windows as a local server. It works well for my needs (vBulletin product development). :D

3. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,854
    XAMPP for me too - for Wordpress and, when the mood takes me, XenForo.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,053
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    I use Cheap VPS servers (from the likes of Vultr, Digital Ocean, Ramnode, Linode etc).

Mostly about $5 a month.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+628
    All my Centmin Mod and linux development/testing is done on local Virtualbox guest servers i.e. CentOS 7 on Virtualbox https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centos-7-0-install-on-virtualbox-guest-server.730/. Virtualbox snapshot feature comes in handy !

Just access Virtualbox guest servers like any other server via SSH though you'd be connecting to a local LAN ip address instead.

Then once development progresses, I move onto my test VPS servers from various VPS providers - some VPS host benchmarks listed at https://centminmod.com/benchmarks.html :)

Also look out for VPS deals, I nabbed a few 2GB 2 CPU OpenVZ VPSes for US$25/yr on special that are okay for testing and normal price has US$35/yr ones too - though some folks report resource contention later down the track, they're still good for test VPSes for me so far with high cpu clocks with Xeon E3-1270v3, Xeon E5-1650v2/v3 :)
    Also if you know where to look, you can nab decent dedicated servers for testing that are <US$59 - 99/month

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    For local development I also use VirtualBox
    (running on a separate windows machine on my local network).

I still run [prefer] Centos 6.x - all my current local instances were built from 6.8.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,636
    I use a password protected, mirrored installation on a dedicated remote server. In recent years because I'm paranoid I've taken to deleting the database once I've finished testing. When the majority of my forums were running on vBulletin 3 I did all my testing on the live installation and actually got away with it :eek::D

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+23
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, I have a lot of avenues to explore now :) The snapshot feature of Virtualbox does sound awesome. I snagged a cheap dell box with a 1TB drive yesterday for 60% off ("prime day" event at Dell) so I'm going to put that on my local network with Virtualbox on it. Love you TAZ! :tup:

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted