What do you use for a test environment?

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by kontrabass, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+24
    I have been toying with a virtual centos machine (VMware) on my mac, but am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to access it. For a while I had a 'clearance' server at my host that I used as a testbed. I may have to go back to that, but it was $70/month. What do you use? Local server? VMware? Dedicated server?

:)

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,052
    I use XAMPP for Windows as a local server. It works well for my needs (vBulletin product development). :D

3. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,207
    XAMPP for me too - for Wordpress and, when the mood takes me, XenForo.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,366
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,706
    I use Cheap VPS servers (from the likes of Vultr, Digital Ocean, Ramnode, Linode etc).

Mostly about $5 a month.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+658
    All my Centmin Mod and linux development/testing is done on local Virtualbox guest servers i.e. CentOS 7 on Virtualbox https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centos-7-0-install-on-virtualbox-guest-server.730/. Virtualbox snapshot feature comes in handy !

Just access Virtualbox guest servers like any other server via SSH though you'd be connecting to a local LAN ip address instead.

Then once development progresses, I move onto my test VPS servers from various VPS providers - some VPS host benchmarks listed at https://centminmod.com/benchmarks.html :)

Also look out for VPS deals, I nabbed a few 2GB 2 CPU OpenVZ VPSes for US$25/yr on special that are okay for testing and normal price has US$35/yr ones too - though some folks report resource contention later down the track, they're still good for test VPSes for me so far with high cpu clocks with Xeon E3-1270v3, Xeon E5-1650v2/v3 :)
    Also if you know where to look, you can nab decent dedicated servers for testing that are <US$59 - 99/month

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,706
    For local development I also use VirtualBox
    (running on a separate windows machine on my local network).

I still run [prefer] Centos 6.x - all my current local instances were built from 6.8.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,182
    I use a password protected, mirrored installation on a dedicated remote server. In recent years because I'm paranoid I've taken to deleting the database once I've finished testing. When the majority of my forums were running on vBulletin 3 I did all my testing on the live installation and actually got away with it :eek::D

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+24
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, I have a lot of avenues to explore now :) The snapshot feature of Virtualbox does sound awesome. I snagged a cheap dell box with a 1TB drive yesterday for 60% off ("prime day" event at Dell) so I'm going to put that on my local network with Virtualbox on it. Love you TAZ! :tup:

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  10. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+24
    Hey eva2000eva2000 , since I'm using the same setup as you I'm wondering if you might be able to offer any clues: I seem to be unable to transfer a large file (5.5GB gzipped sql dump of my xf database) into my Virtualbox centos virtual machine. I can connect to it just fine, it's got a fast connection, and the transfer may even be going at 3mb/sec for a few seconds, but then it will stall. It might start up again 4 or 5 times, before it times out completely. I've tried transferring the file directly from my database server, and I've also tried transferring it from my desktop on the local network. I've tried using scp from the macos terminal, also tried using sftp via Forklift

Do you know of any other way to get my database into the Virtualbox machine? My gut feeling is it may have something to do with my virtual machine storage being dynamically allocated? ie, it's got 3.93GB allocated to it now, but can grow to 500GB if needed...

Thanks!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  11. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,706
    I dont use virtualbox anymore, but when I did, I never used dynamic storage, always fixed size.

(I uses a remote VPS now)

12. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+24
    I found a solution :) I decided to start over with a new VM and install centos with a GUI. That brought everything down to my level of expertise ;) In the centos gui I easily connected to my NAS, and copying the 5.5GB .tgz file from the NAS to centos took only 10 minutes. Whew!!!

Now on to installing centminmod :)

13. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,901
    Xampp for local tinkering. I used to prefer Uniserver but its Windows-only.

For live testing, I use either a shared hosting instance from a reseller account or an old machine as a server.

14. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,008
    Dedicated Server with the exact same setup as my live site, minus caching.

15. lurkalot

lurkalot Fan

+37
    Xampp for testing locally, and have three test sites on one of my hosting plans.

16. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+658
    yeah that's one way of doing it though for me i always use virtualbox fixed disks
    how you transferring ? i just use root user and sftp and it's fast for me ~50-100MB/s to local lan based virtualbox instances

these days for centos 7.4 and virtualbox i use minimal install ISO images https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centos-7-4-minimal-iso-install-virtualbox-5-1.12983/

17. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+48
    I used to have a test system but found it caused so many problems with my production environment that I needed to turn it off. I have a developer that his own local site where he tests things and that seems to work sufficiently well. That and my host does very frequent backups so if I ever have to roll something back, it's pretty easy to do.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted