What do you think of the stock XF 2 style?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Joeychgo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+2,961
    I'm just curious --

What does everyone think of the stock XF style?

Do you see a lot of forums just using the stock style?

Personally, I think its awful. I've always thought XF should come with maybe 2 or 3 simple stock styles. Just different color schemes, nothing complicated. If you want complicated, buy a style or have one made. But I think the stock style could be improved. The light blue just doesn't work for me.

Yes I know there are free styles out there, but they aren't always updated.

What does everyone else think?

2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    I miss white for actual Text areas.

upload_2017-8-9_15-43-24.png

The amount of Grey everywhere and shades of blue makes it look pretty busy.

4. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,476
    I think the biggest thing is the foundation of the style. XF2 has taken huge strides in terms of customization. The days of add-on devs randomly picking palette colors to use on their add-on SHOULD be over. Global settings (which we had in our framework among others) have been implemented, such as borders/font sizing/spacing etc is a welcome change.

As for the default look... there are some various things that I'm already changing on our styles but it's really subjective. I'm not about to make suggestions such as the subHeadings should be slightly smaller font size when it's just a single property away.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,865
    It seems more at home on mobile than XF 1.

On desktop, its underwhelming at first glance but it's basically an empty canvas waiting to be customized. I wonder how TAZ will look on XF 2.1 with a spiffy new skin... :angrybird0:

6. Joeychgo

+2,961
    Basically the color scheme.

Yep -- IMO, having a decent stock skin would improve the product. Newbies are already a bit overwhelmed. Giving them a more finished product could be helpful for them.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,810
    It doesn't look particularly polished but it does appear to provide a far better framework for custom themes than it's predecessor.

8. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,118
    When it was first put online, I was a little disappointed but I've grown used to it during the entire testing process on the demo site to the point where now it doesn't bother me. I won't use it because I never do use the default styles that ship with forums, but it performs the function it's there to do. I can't say I hate it, it's just a default style.

9. The Sandman

+4,865
    I don't dislike it either... it serves its purpose simply while hinting at its much greater potential. There's no in-your-face "wow" factor to grab you, but if there was it would probably wear thin on countless forums running the default style.

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,133
    The stock style does what it needs to do show the posts. I rather see what Pixelexit can do with XF2.

11. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    Stock XF1 was great.
    It helped it's popularity.

I like how all the usual fanboys can't comment on what they don't like and just say :

It's customizable
    It's just the default
    I want pixeledit anyway.
    It's not terrible

So typical.

12. The Sandman

+4,865
    I think Kier was going for two things with the new style - doing something different because we're always complaining about a lack of innovation and making the statement that XenForo 2 is not about the bodywork so much as it is what's under the hood.

13. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,133
    I never run any board with a stock theme always used a paid or free solution so i have no interest in the stock style. The style of XF2 looks good soft colors can it be better yes because you'll see in RM its not alligned. I have visited many boards but i can count stock styles on two hands.

14. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    Simple things like ...

Do you like Tabs or underlines ?

https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/threads/do-you-like-tabs-or-underlines.862/

axf2demo_xenforo_com_attachments_img_2016_11_21_22_59_39_1_png_1071__.png

axf2demo_xenforo_com_attachments_img_2016_11_21_22_58_47_1_png_1070__.png

Those underlines were just ugly.

Eventually some sense prevailed. - They went back to Tabs.

upload_2017-8-9_17-57-33.png

Just be glad non-fanboys helped improve the style to where it is at least.
    As I am sure the usual fanboys loved the previous iterations as well.

15. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,524
    Haven’t heard of them before, link?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
  17. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+174
    XF2 is looking like a more typical default colourscheme whereas I always felt XF1 was a bit delicate looking. As for the design, well you would always expect the look and aesthetics of the design to evolve over time so taking anything as it is right now is a bit premature in my view.

18. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+391
    There's really nothing to like or dislike about the stock theme. There is a choice to be had and because cosmetics are always subjective it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. The bottom line is if you like it, great. If you don't like it, change it, either yourself or with a third party theme. Personally, I will wait to see what PixelEXIT come up with - hopefully a XF2 version of Flatawesome+ which is the best theme I have had the pleasure to work with.

;)

19. Joeychgo

+2,961
    Oh? They still around? :p

20. Matthew S

Matthew S Enthusiast

+68
    As far as blue and white styles go, I think I've been spoiled by TAZ's style. :tup:

I find the default XF2 style underwhelming. There's just something, hmm, IPB about it that is making it look far too generic. The XF1 default style was fairly unique, gradients and all.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted