What do you mean you don’t have a backup?

By Ted S, Jan 25, 2005 | |
  1. Ted S

Ted S Tazmanian Master

+22
    Ted S submitted a new Article:

What do you mean you don’t have a backup?

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+6,710
    Excellent article - the amount of people who I've spoken to and they've complained about losing their forum, then look at me blankly when I state "well, didn't you do a backup".... lol

3. Ted S

Ted S Tazmanian Master

+22
    Yup yup. We "lost" our photo gallery in a botched upgrade. It took a week for photopost to decide that the best fix was to revert (rather than trying to write a script to rebuild the database from the data files). 45 minutes later we were back online but sadly, another site with the same problem is back at zero because they did not have a backup :(

4. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+359
    Ted, I was going to start a thread on forum backup strategies, but you beat me to it! My VB database is 360 megs with 240 megs being attachments and I rely on my host for backups (!).

I want to move my attachments into the file system in order to make the database backup smaller. I was thinking of backing up the db on a daily basis and doing a complete backup once a week of the db and attachments. I want to get another hosting account from a different host and use it to store my backups. I guess I could write a shell script to FTP the db to the other server?
    Does this sound like a viable backup solution?

I would like other admins to share their strategies with taking backups.

5. Ted S

Ted S Tazmanian Master

+22
    PacMan,
    Don't let me stop you! My article is more about why you have to backup then how you should do it (yes I provide a few ways and an example script but thats far from the complete story).

The option you preposed sounds great. A nighly backup of the critical data which is the most important stuff to have and the easiet to loose (databases corrupt more than attachments and users complain more about no posts then they do about a few missing links)! I recommend you automate the process as much as possible to insure it actually gets done. For me this means an automatic backup every night and the big backup weekly. Ontop of that I do some serious mysql repairs every Sunday night but that really turns into every other Sunday or every Sunday I have time which is why automated = better!

6. Hot_Water

Hot_Water Participant

+0
    What can I add to my home computer to use as backup.

I was thinking I could just add another hard drive to my existing computer and use it only for backups. Is that possible? If so what size hard drive would I need
    and do I need to upgrade the rest of my computer to do it?

This is info of my computer:
    HP Pavilion
    Intel Pentium 4
    CPU 2.93 Ghz
    504 MB Ram

7. JoshB

JoshB TalkSTAR

+9
    You just need a small hard drive, for even the largest forums I would say 2GB is the max. size needed for the db and attachments. So you are only going to need around 10GB to keep the last few backups on. Your current system should be able to support this.

8. Hot_Water

Hot_Water Participant

+0
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This is the concrete information I have been looking for. Now I can actually go and get this done.:) :tiphat: