What do you hear?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Klaatu, May 15, 2018.

1. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+549
    Do you hear Laurel or Yanni?

This is the audio version of the "blue dress vs gold dress" controversy. I hear "laurel", I can't hear "yanni". :hmm:

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,442
    I hear "Laurel." :)

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,684
    I hear "Laurel" too.

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,648
    Depends on your speakers and hearing range. Laurel is in the low end range, Yanny in the high range. If you have an equalizer on your sound settings you can depress low end frequencies to hear yanny.

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,662
    Having spent a lifetime in front of guitar amplifiers all I can hear is Laurel and her bitch friend, Tinnitus :cry:

6. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,320
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,662
    My Tinnitus is pitched much higher than that, somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000Hz. It sounds very similar to noise given off by a CRT

8. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,320
    Mine does as well it was the only example I could find that wasn't 20 minutes long with commentary. I've had mine most of my life but the frequent trips to the range and race tracks without ear plugs certainly doesn't help it.

9. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,661
    That Tweet takes forever to load.

The first time I heard Laurel. A person in the room with me listening from the same speakers at the same time heard "Yammy." I have since heard both, seemingly at random. Sometimes when I play the above video I hear Yammy, sometimes I hear Laurel, but whatever I start off hearing it stays the same for the full minute of the video. I need to give it an hour or so, go back to it, and see if it changed. I can't control it. No logical reason why it would be one way or the other.

10. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,320
    There really isn't much too it. Depending on what range of sound you're focussing on determines what you'll hear. Add to that all the variables of how it was encoded and your sound set-up and the results are bound to vary even more. On my headphones I can dial out the low-range and hear one, dial out the highs and I hear the other.

I think a lot of this stuff that spreads as quickly as this are social experiments. They're trying to see how quickly they can get a random tidbit of information to spread through the social networks. Give the people something to argue about and they'll share anything. Dress 2.0 for sure.

11. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,684
    It also depends on what system you listen on iPad i hear Laurel and on a terminal server at work i hear Yammy.

12. xmoonlight444

xmoonlight444 Aspirant

+2
    I've always heard laurel. Never yanny, i don't get how anyone hears that!

13. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+549
    Marlee Matlin solved the mystery. :D

14. Reverie

Reverie Aspirant

+12
    I've been able to hear both. I think it began with Yanny, and then I tried listening closer and could hear Laurel. Now listening to it a few months after it was so popular, I can hear both almost at the same time because I expect it. :p

15. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,714
    I hear a blue and black dress.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,918
    So I am going to be THAT GUY. What is all this about? What did I miss? LOL

17. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+549
    Listen to the audio in the OP. Some people hear "Laurel" and others "Yanni". I always hear Laurel.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.