What do you do to get your creative juices flowing?

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
So... I've been in a bit of a creative slump for the past couple weeks. It's a horrible thing for a creative person to experience. I was telling a friend earlier that it's quite the same as a poet going through writers block. I should know - because I've been sitting in the 'writers block corner' with my dunce cap on for several months now. I did actually start a poem a few days ago though - and it's actually not too bad. It's the first time I've written in months - so sorta excited about that...

Questions for you creative folks out there: What do you do when you're in a creative slump? What do you do to get your creative juices flowing?

davemacc

Fan
I've been in that position for nearly a year with my photography. It's a pain but it's happened before and I've gotten through it.

Only trouble is I'll probably end up with some silly, ridiculous ideas before I get back on track.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Only trouble is I'll probably end up with some silly, ridiculous ideas before I get back on track.
But the ridiculous ideas can often send you to the great ones :D

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
For writing, I simple start reading and instantly generate ideas from existing ideas but still keeping them unique. I have a neat little trait of being able to read one blog article and coming up with about 10 blog posts or more from that one article.

For graphics, as I am not so good at graphics, I do however get into amateur photography and more specifically HDR toning... I get excited when looking at other HDRs

Attached is a few of my HDRs :)

Attachments

• beach4.jpg
    beach4.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 8
  • tunnel1.jpg
    tunnel1.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 7
  • hdr-storm.jpg
    hdr-storm.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 7

Danielx64

Developer
As I post this I am having code writers block: I was able to get started and now I am stuck on what to write next. What odd is that I know how I wants things to look at the end.

It off topic but you are not alone with any sort of blocks.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
As I post this I am having code writers block: I was able to get started and now I am stuck on what to write next. What odd is that I know how I wants things to look at the end.

It off topic but you are not alone with any sort of blocks.

I often assume writers block is due to some form of stress, even stress you don't realize you have. Fitness comes in handy for that. I'll get the occasional writers block and then jump on the road bike and ride 30 miles into 20 MPH winds... The whole time, I am cussing the wind and struggling to ride but after its all said and done, the stress is gone and so is the writers block :)

Danielx64

Developer
I often assume writers block is due to some form of stress, even stress you don't realize you have. Fitness comes in handy for that. I'll get the occasional writers block and then jump on the road bike and ride 30 miles into 20 MPH winds... The whole time, I am cussing the wind and struggling to ride but after its all said and done, the stress is gone and so is the writers block :)
You make a point about stress that you may not know that you have. There been quite a few things that been going on around me, including many questions that I dont have answers for. Maybe I do need a day off the computer but I dont think that will happen soon.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
You make a point about stress that you may not know that you have. There been quite a few things that been going on around me, including many questions that I dont have answers for. Maybe I do need a day off the computer but I dont think that will happen soon.

I'm this cycling redneck gun loving greaser looking dude if you saw me out on the street but when it comes to getting on the computer, I am a full blown nerd, I run forums and blog for God sakes, I'm a nerd lol... And the computer is addicting, it really is especially for people like us who are basically building parts of the internet and leaving our digital snow angels... BUT... its not healthy to be glued to the computer all the time. Find an outdoor hobby and make it into something you love to do :) I love cycling outdoors, outdoor photography, hiking, fishing and camping and when its nice, I try to do it all as frequently as possible... I come from a generation where when I was a boy, after school, I'd be outside until my mom or step dad had to force me inside, covered in dirt and tired as hell from playing... I think a lot of that is how people are these days. I played and played outside and still love "playing" outside to this day. My little brother, different story, got home from school and instantly on the PC or xbox and still doesn't go outside that much, always stressed out too...

Danielx64

Developer
Well for one I was never an outdoor person, but I do about an hour of walking most days (I cant drive :() I am also such a nerd as well, just ask my 2 managers!

I know that it not healthy but I think the only way to fix that is by going into the big brother house!

Seriously though, I do go out and take photos of different things and I do go and meet some famous people from tv. As far as eating goes, I do eat all the right food so it not like I need to go on a diet!

I would say that I just need to be a little more active :)

GTB

Tazmanian
No longer have creative juices for running a forum. For me at least... they ain't worth the effort anymore running one.

Echo

Runs with grenades
I step away for awhile, make sure all my ducks are in a row concerning my life, then I do some soul searching (I know deep, right? ) have to make sure I'm doing this for me, not anyone else, make sure the passion is still there for the particular interest. Lighten up on myself, it will come if it's supposed to.

Phillip

The Priest
Well, for me I tend to either walk around in circles for 5 minutes or go for walks to get these juices going. Then I come back and sit down and do some searches on the Internet to see what's new or what's going on with the world and see what can be done to fix other problems as well.

After that, I put some ideas on notepad or a piece of paper go from there. It's a bit weird, but I do it all the time. :)

DirtRider

bah humbug
I find that at times it is better to just walk awat from whatever it is and even if it takes a month or two you tend to get back into it. Right now I have a full set of forum software and add ons that I need to get working for me but I just hit a blank each time I think about it.

Echo

Runs with grenades
Just wanted to add a little more, I had a Blackberry a few years ago and got into theme development for that, I wanted to personalize just my phone. One thing led to another and here I had 20+ themes created, so I turned some loose on a well known BB sites resource section as free themes. So I suppose my point is for me personally, that passion has to be there for what ever object/niche at that time. If all of a sudden I like door hinges or something, then I'll dive into that with full enthusiasm and those creative juices just kick in all by themselves.

demedja

Participant
I have always believed that creative blocks come from the stress of feeling as though one MUST quickly come up with ideas to continue whatever project one is working on until the project is completed. The key is to de-stress. Put the project aside for a while. Instead, focus on doing things that are fun and inspiring. Go see a fun movie, hang out and have dinner and a few drinks with your friends for an evening, take day trips to interesting places, eat good food, get plenty of sex and plenty of rest (is that an oxymoron?), meet new people, read the biographies of interesting and successful people, start working out at the local gym, take a class at some community venue and learn a new skill. Plenty of things you can do to relax and have fun...and once you're all chilled out your creative juices will begin flowing again.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
My creative block usually comes up when I've written myself (or the characters) into a corner and I get stuck on getting them out of it :D

With graphics, it's more a case of not being able to settle on what type of theme to run with for a particular thing - that's where surfing other sites comes in or asking for suggestions (which is how I ended up with Post Ratings and Moods here on TAZ).