Shared What are your guys thoughts on shared hosting?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Soulwatcher, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+284
    I think shared hosting is great to start with but what really makes me mad is the misrepresentation of the resources.

• A web host says you get 1 full cpu. And what they mean is you get 1 full CPU cycle for 60 seconds
    • They say unlimited bandwidth And what they mean is they have a fair use clause in the TOS that you didn't read and they will terminate you if you use too much bandwidth.
    • They also don't tell you they limit the i/o usage which means they limit on how fast you can transfer files on the hard drive.
    • Another thing they don't tell you is they limit MySql so low that if you have more than 15 people talking on the forum at once your going to get HTTP 500 errors
    • And that unlimited storage is only for certain file types. If you uploaded a 60gb game to the server they would terminate your account or make you delete it.
    And I am by no means trying to scare anyone away from shared hosting. I just wish that web host would post real numbers instead of hiding behind unlimited everything. What are your guys thoughts on shared hosting?

P.S. my forum is on shared hosting and it's not very busy so it works well. But I am going to need a VPS the minute I get any real activity or traffic.

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,885
    It's something I tend not to use but when I have in the past I've encountered a couple of issues. Users running resource hogging batch processes have slowed my sites down and on a few occasions to the point where they have become completely unresponsive. The other issue which is what stopped me using them completely was when a hacker gained root access via someone else's unsecured site which took everyone on that server down.

Obviously there has to be limits but I agree that a lot of web hosts don't properly advertise what those limits are.

3. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+284
    I 100% agree I have had people cripple the server which in turn crippled my website. (Not with this web host) And your right 1 hacked website could compromise the whole server. Which is why I plan on moving my website to a linode VPS some time in October. I am just way too busy in real life to do it now and next month is going to be busy too. I hardly have enough time to post in my forum every day.

4. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+643
    I'll never support misleading advertising, but I think shared hosting serves the needs of a decently sized customer base.

They provide a very low cost of entry into the web world for many people, which is a great thing. I've used shared for years and never had an issue, but you need to be aware of what you're buying.

Hopefully people don't buy shared hosting expecting a VPS/etc.

5. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+415
    I've used shared hosting since day one (many moons ago) because in the beginning that was all that was affordable unless you had money trees growing in your back garden. Never had any major issues with shared hosting, some minor issues that could have happened on any type of server, and overall have been very pleased with the updates and upgrades that my host (1and1) have provided over the years for a very reasonable price; plus side is I don't have to do any maintenance.

Anyone just starting out with limited resources can try shared hosting (some prudent research beforehand will help to avoid the bad ones) and then move up as their needs dictate. I've never tried a hosted forum offering, so I can't say what they're like, but I like to get my hands dirty in the back end and learn.

:)

6. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Black Jacq! Give Me My Coins!! ♠

+4,554
    Exactly my thoughts.
    I've had some horrific experiences with shared hosting - particularly MochaHost and HostV. There are a few posts on TAZ that chronicled my experience with them. But that's just it ... They advertised one thing and provided another; it was a bait and switch type of experience I've had with shared hosting. My expections were rather large because it seemed the promised the world. So I expected the world. But was basically provided with shoddy service, a few of which rendered my websites at the time, unusable. One experience I had was that the host lost all data on the node my forums/sites were hosted on. It basically crippled my websites/forums for months and inevitably, my want to even rebuild the websites. But I did rebuild. On a trustworthy VPS.

I would not recommend shared hosting at all. If you can afford a few extra dollars a month to upgrade to a more robust VPS or even dedicated service - I'd suggest making the leap. So yeah... VPS fan here.

J.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,586
    Plenty of oversold VPS host out there too along with the same kind of misleading marketing.

8. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Black Jacq! Give Me My Coins!! ♠

+4,554
    Obviously. Which makes it difficult to trust any host tbh...
    Just have to do your due diligence and research testimonials and such before committing. One thing I've learned though ... I used to pay on a yearly basis to get the 'lowest' pricing possible; Everybody loves a discounted rate right LOL.. Anyway - it seems that taking such a route opens you up for abuse. I don't know why that it is really - but that's been my experience anyway. Paying on a monthly basis and making sure to have current database and really entire server backups for insurance purposes is a good idea for anyone who's ever experienced data loss like I have. Eh... Strange business I suppose. A lot of ****wads, liars, cheaters and scammers out there ready to take advantage. Prime example updated on TAZ only a few hours ago. Ugh... What a world..

J.

9. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+188
    don't make that move until you need to.

10. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+284
    A 2gb Vps is $1 more than I am paying for hosting now. It's $10 a month.

11. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+66
    Depends on the shared host, some let you use as much as you like without issue and some suspend your account at the slightest amount of use.

12. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,156
    VPS is the lowest I'd recommend people these days. However, some companies do decent if not good shared. It also depends on what your site is supposed to accomplish.

13. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,935
    Actually there is a little more involved than simply the $1 more. Once you get a VPS you will then have to figure out how you are going to process your email. Are you going to do it on the VPS with built in MTA or are you going to go to an outside service using SMTP relaying? Many of the outside services will add additional cost to this. Configuring the VPS itself is the cheapest method, but then you have the hassle of making sure the rep of your server IP stays good, that it doesn't get blacklisted and the normal maintenance routines of an maintaining a mail server.
    You can also get another VPS and grab one of the pre-made packages like iRedMail or Mail in a Box and set up your own solution, but now you are into another VPS. Or you can grab cPanel and use CentOS and have a crappy Apache HTTP server instead of something speedy like nginx. Of course if you want performance and still use cPanel you can get LiteSpeed, but then that's another cost on top of the VPS and cPanel. Oh, and better bump the VPS up at least 1GB RAM just for the panel use.

14. -MFL-

-MFL- Aspirant

+7
    I have used various shared hosting plans ~10 years. Last December I switched to VPS.

I think for me there is no return to shared any more. Everything runs now smoothly and all the random problems are gone.

However, shared hosting is easy and suitable for beginners. With VPS you have to know much more or have somebody to support you (security, updates, etc...)

15. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,469
    I have one very simple thought on shared hosting - "Avoid".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Something Fishy! Something Fishy! x 1
    • List
  16. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,027
    If you must use a shard because of cost, well.. that's one thing. But I would absolutely look at a VPS if you can afford it. If you cant, I would look to move to a VPS asap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+915
    It can work well if your site is fairly small and you're willing to look for a host focused on quality of service rather 'everything and the kitchen sink for as cheap as possible'. I mean, someone like MDD Hosting could probably host some fairly large forums without them having to go to a VPS, whereas folks like Bluehost and other EIG brands would be poor choices in general.

However, it's a tough field to navigate, and both scammers and generally terrible companies are ridiculously common in that market. So if you're not willing to shop around, look at all the web hosting forums for hours and be extremely cautious about who you go with, then a VPS or AWS type cloud hosting would probably be a better option. At least there it seems most of the companies are fairly well run and serious about supporting their customers.

18. Elliot02

Elliot02 Aspirant

+8
    I've used shared for quite a few different things. I use it currently for a static website that I use for personal information sharing, and then another is for my e-commerce website (which doesn't do anything do dramatic, just sharing pricing and a purchase page)

But if I were to handle multiple users on some sort of forum, or social network, I would never run it on shared. VPS at the least, or DEDICATED would be preferred.

19. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+439
    We ran on shared for about 3 or 4 years
    experience was awesome!
    we only had to upgrade when we added a Wiki and a lot of people started working on the database at the same time
    Other wise, for around 95 percent of peeps that start a forum, I'd say don't be afraid to get your feet wet in forums, they're fun, rewarding and there are great prices for shared hosting on the web.
    Welcome all to forumworld!
    :)

gogo

20. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+186
    Good enough to get started on but if your place starts getting busier then you'll need to look into moving to a VPS. You can always squeeze a bit more out with optimisation and caching but at some point you'll need more and a move, or scaling back, will be needed.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted