What are the benefits of third party login/registration?

Discussion in 'WoltLab Burning Board' started by Splinter2, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Splinter2

Splinter2 Aspirant

+19
    This is more a general question for all forums really, but I'm curious to hear from any admins who have any experience in this.
    I've signed up to several forums through Google, one or two with Steam and it's simply a clicking exercise. You're in that much quicker without the sometimes tedious registration process.
    It does strike me as an attractive option for my forum, but I wondered what the pitfalls were and of course the major advantages.
    WoltLab Suite has this option built-in, so it's easy to set up.

2. Apparition

Apparition Aspirant

+11
    The advantage is that people (in general) are lazy, and are more open to using a forum without having to make yet another account.

The pitfalls are the loss of the user's privacy as it's yet one more way for the big data companies (Google, Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, what have you), are able to track the user. There's also the possibility that the user's Google/Amazon/Twitter/Facebook account may be banned (rare, but it does happen), locking the user out of the forum.

YMMV, but I would at least leave the option open for people to register normally with a local account.

3. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,238
    You already said it.

Every tiny bit of inconvenience or work you take out of registration is a benefit to your site.

It also lends to familiarity. People are already familiar with Facebook/Google/Twitter.

I'm of the opinion that there is literally no down side. Users can freely elect to register the old fashioned way if they'd like.

It's one of those "why not" things in my opinion. Why not at least offer it to your members?

4. Splinter2

Splinter2 Aspirant

+19
    Good feedback and I'm of the same opinion and have now added it as an easy option. The API process for FB and Google was a bit daunting at first, but at least I didn't have to muck about with code, which isn't my strong point.
    login-third-party.jpg
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    In general it's always good to have.
    In practice, use of these login methods will vary according to your site's strengths and access limitations.

I noticed limiting use of the download system annoys people expected to create normal accounts but users of social logins rarely complain in compareason.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.