Well another problem with google

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by Scribbller, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Scribbller

Scribbller The dude

+9
    So another question about google here I am on page two of sports forum key word, but if you look at the description that is with the link it really doesnt sound like a sports forum at all how do i change the description google picks up.

Regards
    Scribbller

2. Lugh

Lugh Habitué

+5
    What forum software?

In vB3, I'd expect Google to pick up the Title & Description you set in the Admin CP--in the very first menu item with the long list of drop-downs.

3. Scribbller

Scribbller The dude

+9
    I am using IPB 2. The Title is picked up but the description is not.

4. Subhadip

Subhadip Adherent

+0
    What Google sees is the code. So, what they pick up as description depends on what Google can pick up from the code first, relevant to the keywords. Of course, the best approach will be to bring an appropriate description as far up as possible. Or, maybe external linking if you have lots of javascripts or related coding. Generic words like 'Members', 'Register' etc. are often taken alongwith the keywords, ahead of the actual description you wanted shown! Again, this is because it appears further up in the coding.

An alternative approach will be not to mention the keyword at all, until the description. Although this can affect your rankings, the compromise may be worthwhile as users won't click on your result anyway with a misleading description.

There are many other ways, if you look around SEO-specific websites.

5. Scribbller

Scribbller The dude

+9
    Thanks for the help Subhadip

6. rogerd

rogerd Aspirant

+0
    Google usually grabs a keyword-relevant snippet for the description. This is often very relevant to the keyword search (it shows the search words in the context they are used on the page), but of course it can go awry sometimes and pick up your navbar or other unattractive text. A good page title will help click-through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.