Webpage Title Tags

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Pigoo, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+16
    I've been reading about Webpage title tags...and two things that are almost always mentioned are:

- Each web page should have it own title tag.
    - Each web page should have a unique title tag.

When it comes to vBulletin websites...I've been told that you only need to enter a title tag once & only once in the head or headinclude template.

Thus the question is:

If it's good practice for each web page to have its own title tag & that each title tag for each web page is unique...how does entering a title tag only once in the vBulletin headinclude template optimize the use of webpage title tags?

Thanks

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+601
    I've got zero experience with vB 4 or 5, but on vB3, I used conditionals to add the <title> and the <h1> heading tag to a page. You'll find a list of conditionals in the documentation. Sometimes the conditional was an if/else kinda thing - if the page had a thread title, that was used, if it had nothing else to go on, I used the board title.

3. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,438
    vBulletin 4 & 5 add title tags automatically. It uses factors like the board name, thread name and sub forum name for the title information and uses the first post for page description information.

upload_2019-4-1_22-34-58.png

4. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+16
    Thanks Joeychgo. Not sure if those images were part of your answer to me...or if they're a glitch.;)

If vB 4 & 5 does the title tag info automatically for each page...how is it controlled...setup...or modified. Is there a setting in the admincp?

5. Joeychgo

+3,438
    yes, they were.

No setting. You have to change the coding. Its been years since I did it so I don't remember exactly. Paul MPaul M might be able to help.

6. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+16
    Ahh...this is something I would DEFINITELY like to learn more about!!!:)

Thanks

7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,149
    I havent really looked at vB code since the summer of 2017, after I left IB.

My own site runs vB3, not vB4, and tbh, I havent had to look at it [code wise] for almost 2 years, since I upgraded it to 3.8.11.

8. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    All versions of vBulletin (3, 4, and 5) make appropriate page titles... You don't need to mess with it.

9. Jim McClain

+601
    I never went beyond vB3.8 and didn't find that necessarily true. But just to be clear, the OP asked about title TAGS (as in <title>Description of the page in less than 60 characters</title>), not page titles (as in <h1>Title of the Page, Article or Discussion</h1>. In both cases, I researched and consulted with some experts at the time (2006-2007ish) to develop better title tags and page titles using vB conditionals than the standard defaults. I wish I had kept the template backups, but by the time I converted to xenForo, I was done with vB and had no desire to save old work.

10. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+16
    Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up finding a solution. Turns out I was basically suffering from a "self-inflicted wound" of sorts.;) When I manually entered a meta title tag into vBulletin's head_include template...this seemed to force ALL pages to have exactly the same title tag...when my main initial goal was just a home page meta title tag.

What I did was remove this meta title tag info from the head_include template...then entered the same title tag info into the admicp >>settings >> options >> Site Name/URL/Contact Details >> Forum Name field.....and this seemed to do the trick. Once I did this...then ONLY the website home page had this title description...and all other site pages then started having their own unique title description. I don't know for sure if this ability for each vBulletin page to generate its own unique page title description is built into vBulletin 4.2.5...or if this is being done by an installed plugin (such as DBSEO)...which I have installed.

Now...when this home page title description info is entered in the admincp (admicp >>settings >> options >> Site Name/URL/Contact Details >> Forum Name)...it seems to do at least 4 things (probably other things/areas as well):

1. It creates a meta title tag for the website home page that search engines will "see" and display.
    2. This title tag info is seen on browser tabs/history.
    3. Info appears on the website home page itself that visitors see.
    4. Is automatically used as the "sender name" for various website emails (contact us, thread subscription emails, etc).

This #4 area that the website title info is used/auto-generated is actually a little problematic. When optimizing website meta title tags for Google...optimally the meta title tag is around 600 pixels long (about 160 characters). Problem is...160 characters is wayyyy too long for the sender name for website emails. For example...when site members subscribe to a thread...and they receive a notification email that a thread they're subscribing to has received new posts...the email they receive has a sender name of 160 characters long...this is way too long.

Anyone have any work arounds to this problem where the vBulletin software automatically uses the "Forum Name" entered in the admincp as the "sender name" for all website emails...it's just wayyy too long?

Thanks

11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    I'm aware of what he was asking about and I stand by my statement. vBulletin forums were king of the internet 2006-2007ish, it was the gold standard at the time.

12. Jim McClain

+601
    Yeahhhh... only with the right plugins. It was horrible for SEO, so I jumped on the vBSEO bandwagon. Many people gave them grief, but I found a way to make it work very well for me and my niche.

13. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Agree to disagree.

14. Jim McClain

+601
    Yeah, you say that a lot.

15. Joeychgo

+3,438
    I didn't use vBSEO, I did most of the SEO manually with template changes, and it helped a lot.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.