Webmaster Ethics and the Importance of Global Image

Joshuad

Developer
Joshuad submitted a new Article:

Webmaster Ethics and the Importance of Global Image

Webmaster Ethics
And the Importance of Global Image

About
This isn’t going to be the longest article I’ve ever written, but to me it is by far the most important. It is all about ethics, one of the things that I’ve actually been complimented on by web employers when I was much younger and filling several moderator roles. I’d like to take all of you on a metaphorical journey to show you how you look on your own website, how you look when you are interacting with a website that considers you a friend, and how you look on strange websites. I intend to show you how your actions can bring consequence, and how to properly interact with the world online to gain respect and even loyalty.

As always, to introduce myself, I’m a veteran webmaster as well as entrepreneur. I enjoy the most the community aspect the internet has to offer, and participate in several forums and social networks. I’m a huge fan of sitting back and watching my peers make a fool of themselves, but fear not, because I like to use that information to make those people better at what they do in an effort to not do it again.

Also, try and keep an open mind, as all of my articles (unless stated otherwise) are my personal opinion. Take what you want from them, but keep in mind what you don’t, and question if that was your best decision.

This article is exclusive to Drake Technologies and The Admin Zone, but if you would like to use this article for your own website, be sure to leave a source link from where you got it. I hope you enjoy reading this article, and most of all I hope it gives you something to think about.

Section 1: Your Website(s)
This section is a little more dedicated to being viewed as a professional than anything ethical, but there will be certain points that will be on topic and rather important.

Your own website is obviously the most important in showing your users and guests what kind of person you are. How you interact with your guests and members is a direct reflection on how you handle your website, and how professional you make yourself look can open doors to new opportunities, and can help your site grow by improving the environment. There are several things to look at when it comes to looking over your own website and how you are perceived on a professional level.

On your website, it is important to include some...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

BananaQueen

Adherent
i think every forum owner should read this article, it is so true and sadly so many people do not take notice of the whole webmaster ethics thing when it comes to promoting their forum-i run into loads of them

cpvr

Tazmanian Master
Excellent article! :) Everyone should follow this.

Visored

Neophyte
Nice read. This article should definitely be of use to a person I know ;).

Well-written with some top-notch advice. Definitely a 10/10.

Joshuad

Developer
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I've been working on my next series of articles, which will be out mid-late March. While I'm sure everyone's been enjoying the management approach of the articles I've been writing, I'll be turning it around a bit and will be writing a few development articles. My next article is part one of a long series (an e-book for lack of better words) entitled Diving Into Development - 1 - Getting Started With PHP.