WARNING XF 2.1.X could be a hazard to your health

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Bionic Rooster, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,183
    What are you guys doing that you'd actually trigger a modal pop-up so often & fast that the blurred background is an issue? :cautious:

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,747
    No. Not especially. At the moment it feels like the overall personal preference people are commenting on is a more valid concern as I frankly cannot understand how blurring the backdrop on a UI element that is only visible for a matter of seconds can invoke migraines. It just seems like an extreme overreaction and claims that it is hazardous to someone’s health is honestly just coming across as hyperbole.

Your post here really hasn’t had any bearing at all on whether we would make a change or not but I think it was right to comment at least to ensure that people understood that this is merely an issue with beta software rather than something that affects any of our stable products.

Clearly it’s not that we’re not interested or don’t care. We don’t make knee jerk reactions to suggestions and we have a lot of work and feedback to consider.

It could be 2 weeks more. In the meantime if it really is having such a significant impact on your health, I recommend opening links that may trigger overlays in a new tab.

3. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    I think you’re being a bit harsh. The lack of direct response on the main site more likely indicates they’re taking their time to consider the issue carefully while dealing with more obviously critical bugs, rather than rushing any kind of final decision.

It’s not a cut and dry case of something very obviously being a medical issue due to blurryness.

How often are you actually using screens that action the blur effect that this could be causing a lasting issue?

Disregarding the users that simply don’t prefer the new effect, it’s not easy to definitively tell if that effect actually has anything to do with your ailments at all.

While I can understand your frustration, I think you need to chill and tone it back a bit. There’s a lot of issues that need to be addressed with such a large update, many of which need more time and consideration than others if they’re to be considered and addressed properly.

4. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+201
    Initial reaction was eye strain. Continued exposure resulted in migraines from eye strain. Neither one is healthy. Not rocket science.
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    This says it all. Thanks for your concern and compassion.

I just avoid any actions that causes the blurred screen effect.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  5. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    Just put the option in the Admin menu to toggle on or off. Simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+221
    You'd be amazed at what can invoke migraines. For me it's a specific perfume, stripy shirts, hunger and certain types of overcast days (I kid you not, and in Japan, they issue migraine warnings for grey days!). Naturally if I encounter a perfume wearing, stripy shirt seller on an overcast day I'm completely screwed. Don't get me started on chequered table cloths...

The point I am making is people who suffer can have the most odd triggers and to people who are lucky not to get migraines it all seems a bit strange.

However the initial concern that the blurred effect was fixed into the software now has been diffused as it's apparently a simple CSS change to remove it.

Usual problems for you guys making the software: You can't please everyone.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+89
    He's talking about posting on the community portion of the site. Go here, post a thread, get as many likes or positive reactions (2.1), and XF team will think about implementing what you want. Or just send them tickets.

Some of my own suggestions were implemented through tickets. ;)

EDIT: I see that you did: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/please-get-rid-of-out-of-focus-screens.156124/ Everyone go there, and make yourself heard.
    To be fair, that's how I reacted.

There's a better way of suggesting a new feature. Rather than opening a thread with hyperbolic "warning" like this thread, open with a headline like "make blur effect an option."

Like this...
    ...And then watch how xenForo responds. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get xenForo to listen or respond.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,099
    I get dizziness attacks when it blurs because i need to refocus to fast. Its also the main reason why video games are a problem if the action blurs or go to fast i have issues. Its not the blur it self but the action of the blur that causes most issues, after that action is looking at a screen that is out of focus and youre eyes try to fucus again and again. When you are healty you do not know what migraine or dizziness (i have both) is all day long then you will not have a clue what impact it has on people like us.
    The solution is real simple let people turn it off in there usercp problem solved.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    In short, ultra high resolution, flicker free, raster-scan cathode-ray tubes with a rotating coil driven by computers via a custom designed graphics card. They were sold primarily to hospitals and universities.

The unit put up various black and white chequerboard patterns which could be rotated, inverted, blurred etc, at resolutions and refresh rates only just attainable today (we were doing this before MS DOS). Exposing infant children to these changing stimuli makes it possible to pre-determine vision and other health issues long before the child can communicate in any meaningful way.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  10. Dermot

Dermot Aspirant

+10
    I'm sure the blur can be turned off by a simple EXTRA.less addition

If it bothered you as much, you could just change that and many other aspects of Xenforo.

and i'm sure someone will detail the way to do it or even someone will make a small plugin, it's all about adaptability.

11. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+201
    An EXTRA.less solution was provided by Russ in my suggestion thread
    https://xenforo.com/community/threa...t-of-focus-screens.156124/page-2#post-1300171
    which is fine for admins but doesn't provide relief on the XF site unless they make changes there.

12. Dermot

Dermot Aspirant

+10
    True, I'm sure a compromise could be reached with a user level switch maybe.

but these issues are the exact reason you have betas and why feedback is essential.

13. Ramses

Ramses Adherent

+111
    That's enough reason to dismiss this blurry behavior. I feel uncomfortable too viewing it. And it's just looking ugly. If people like those visual gimmicks they can modify the style.

14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,099
    The problem with UI design is that many do not remember colorblind, dizziness and migraine that people have. Its good that they make eye candy but give people the option to turn it off.

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    If the effect was a fade rather than a blur, this thread might not exist.

16. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,210
    Blurring the content you are reporting seems a strange thing to do anyway, what does it achieve ?

17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    I'd guess the design intention is to draw your eye to the pop-up window. Personally I think regardless of whether it presents a genuine health issue, the effect is not at all engaging and actually rather cheap and self defeating. It's certainly not what I would expect to see on a professional website.

18. worried

worried Junior Member

+2
    Maybe it's graphic or obscene material and it's blurred out so you don't have to look at it while reporting it.

19. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,663
    Good point. Quite often I type something into an overlay while scrolling the page for details.

20. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+201
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.