WARNING XF 2.1.X could be a hazard to your health

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Bionic Rooster, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+194
    Screenshot_1.png XF 2 has a new action where if you click on "Mark Read", "Report" and other areas, the screen blurs with a clear popup.
    I have found and reported to XF staff (specifically Mike and Chris D) that this action and respectfully requested it be removed or user given an option to turn it off, https://xenforo.com/community/threads/please-get-rid-of-out-of-focus-screens.156124/ that this action causes me extreme eye strain and migraines.
    To date there has been no response from either individual and this disturbing reaction remains.
    WARNING : Use of XF2.x.x with blurred screen could be a hazard to your health as it has with me.
    Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+548
    Do you wear glasses? Out of curiosity?

3. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+633
    Here come the law suits from the Millennials

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+194
    Not sure what relevance that has to how it affects me but ya, but not while using my desk top or reading.
    I'm also a senior but don't think that relates either.

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+548
    I was asking because I'm curious if the transition and final blurred effect could be something which is more sensitive to people who already have vision impairment of some kind.

It hadn't occurred to me that the final blurred effect could be an accessibility issue and play tricks with certain people, for example if their eyes are trying to adjust to refocus the image, potentially causing eyestrain, as sounds may be the case with you.

6. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+194
    I did find the eye strain to be an issue at first and then the migraines started. I spend hours a day at the computer and have never had this happen before.

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    It doesn't as far as I can tell have an impact on my health but I have noticed as I've got older some lighting effects and transitional graphics make me feel uncomfortable and this does exactly that so I fully appreciate your concerns. An additional factor in this case is it triggers that same sense of disappointment you get from hitting an unexpected pay-wall.

I really don't like it so I'll add my opinion to the thread.

8. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+975
    Isn't this a fairly common design practice?

9. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+80
    Health hazard?

Am I in a joke thread?

I think this thread is over the top.

I like the effect. Not sure why you feel this way. Weird thread, IMHO.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    I don't really know. I see it regularly used on sites sitting behind a pay-wall but I don't recall seeing it used much anywhere else. Certainly not on forums.

Some people feel that way because transitional graphics may contain a trigger that makes them ill, photosensitive epilepsy sufferers being a prime example. Many computer games contain console commands to remove blur effects, the effect under discussion here. For someone running a network of computer gaming sites, I'm surprised you are not aware of this.

So no, you are not in a 'joke thread', it can be a serious issue for a small number people. Others, like me simply don't like the effect and would like to switch it off. From what I've read so far, that seems to be a growing demand. If you like it, that's great but it's not something I would want to see on any of my sites for the reasons already mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+157
    I think it's terrible so have added my comment to the XF thread too. Hopefully easy to change with some custom CSS, if style options are not provided.

12. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,599
    The thread title is inaccurate.

The change your referring to is specific to XF 2.1.X, not 2.X.X.

13. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+194
    Fixed thanks, perhaps you could reciprocate????

14. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,599
    I’m not sure that we fully understand the issue yet.

Like a packet of cigarettes state they are hazardous to your health and I understand that. I don’t quite understand how a blur filter on a background of a non-focused UI element is though.

(Further feedback is appreciated on the XF.com thread, rather than here btw).

15. Destroy Repeat

+80
    I've seen some sites do it, and not just exclusive to forums.
    That is completely different, and you know it. The blur effect in games was repeated over and over again. If you do the same thing in Virtual Reality headsets, of course it's going to cause motion sickness. It's your eyes trying to train itself to focus on something for a long period of time. A similar thing happened to me while using that glasses that comes with the new Tron film a while ago. However, the "blur" in xenForo is 1 dimensional. It's trying to help you understand where the prompt is supposed to be focused on. This is true especially if that blur is triggered during a edit screen. However, this design is everywhere you click something, so I guess I can somewhat understand. Thing is, when you say "it's a hazard to your health," you need to be very careful how you categorise it. A warning label is required on VR units because it causes actual sickness. That's why for the lack of a better word, I said "am I in a joke thread...?"

16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,499
    Blurred vision and dizzyness are often the sign of an upcoming epileptic seizure. Conversely blurred vission can trigger such or make people feel ill or uncomfortable.
    https://www.gillettechildrens.org/conditions-care/epilepsy-and-seizures/epilepsy-symptoms
    https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/photosensitive-epilepsy

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Before I retired I was the co-owner of a company that designed and built computer driven, visual display equipment that was used specifically for the early detection of these kinds of problems in children under 5. While I wounldn't consider myself an expert, I spent a lot of time working with people who were so I have a pretty good grasp of the subject.

• List
  18. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,560
    Pretty sure it can be somewhat controlled with the
    Code:
    .overlay-container
    CSS designator, which is currently set at
    Code:
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
    right: 0;
    z-index: 900;
    background: rgba(0,0,0,0.35);
    -webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch;
    opacity: 0;
    -webkit-transition: opacity .25s ease;
    transition: opacity .25s ease;

I know by changing the background to a higher opacity it will not be as blurred and you can change it to a solid. Solid will blank out the screen totally so you see none of the text behind it.
    I'm older and wear contacts and don't really see an issue with the current setup.

19. Destroy Repeat

+80
    I guess so. :(
    Interesting. What were you guys selling? If I may ask...? Curious.

20. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+194
    I've explained the issue of the blurred screen and its affect on my vision and the migraines. Perhaps reading the other posts will give you some clarity?

After 2 weeks (about) of having directed my post on xf.com to both you and Mike, no response suggested to me a lack of interest or care. I'm disappointed I had to resort to posting here to get your attention and response.
    However it does bring the issue to light with others who have posted some very informative information and opinions here. It also generated more likes and comments on my original post on xf so hopefully with others support and request for resolve both here and there, you guys will do something.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.