Wait for XF2?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by The Sandman, Jun 20, 2017.

1. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,512
    Say you're starting a new forum or converting an existing forum from some other software to XenForo. Is it advisable to wait for XenForo 2 to be released?

Now, let's say further that you're willing to run XF without add-ons or significant customizations until after you upgrade to XF2. Does that change the calculus at all?

2. Maddox

Maddox Habitué

+972
    Although I'm moving to IPS away from XF, if I wasn't then I would not be waiting for XF2 as it offers very little in terms of front end usage over 1.5.14 and it will take some time to polish the rough edges that will no doubt follow when it's released into the wild. Also, and this is my big beef with the upcoming version 2, it will still be heavily dependent upon third party developers to fill the gaps that the first party developers are not filling (nor willing to say if they intend to fill those gaps as time moves on). This makes facilitating a XF based site expensive in real terms, even though the core product is cheaper than other commercial offerings.

This opinion by no means is meant to infer that third party developers are crap, there some outstanding developers (both in terms of product and support) simply that it makes XF more expensive in real terms once you start to fill in the gaps with what you need to make a site, rather than just a forum. To be honest, if all I wanted was just a forum and nothing else, then I would go for one of the freebies such as Simple Machines, PHPBB or MYBB.

Interesting question Sandman ;)

3. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    If I was converting an existing site, there's a high likelihood I'd have various addons in play for different things. If I've already made the decision to switch to XF, then I must have researched what addons are available to replace what i'm already using - in which case, I wouldn't wait for XF2. I'd convert to the current version that has the added functionality already available. I'd wait to upgrade to XF2 when I am confident everything I'd need to replace was available for that too.

If I was starting a new site, I'd probably wait for XF2 and get whatever I needed built as it came up.

Of course - both scenarios are assuming that I've settled on XF as my forum software of choice.

4. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    I personally would wait, if only because I like using the latest version rather than an outdated one.

But really, it depends on the site. If you need it up right now, setup the site on an older version of XenForo and upgrade when the new one is released. It's not a big deal either way.

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,450
    I have a number of quite large databases (mainly vB based) from old gaming forums I'm thinking of merging and opening up on XF2. I originally considered using the current version of XenForo but thought it better of it as I think it's better to open up a new shop after the refurb. I'm hoping for the purposes of this particular project XenForo 2 will contain at least some of the functionality I require but...

As time passes I'm leaning more and more towards IPS 4.2 which I think leaves XF2 in the dust. At this moment in time I think IPS have a far better grasp of what a modern forum platform needs to be.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,121
    I would convert, the reason is that atm its unclear when its going to be released it can be months before we see beta and after that RC releases. A new forum depending on the timeline when do you want to start vs expected release xf2 i would get xf1.x start playing with xf2 and xf1.

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,701
    While XF2 is an exciting platform, it doesn't yet resolve the problem that you need many dozens of addons to get the basic functionality to run a medium to large community. It will probably take until XF2.1 or 2.2 before it has a similar ecosystem as XF1 has and before XenForo starts including much more essential functionality.
    I would not start a new forum or move an existing forum to XF2 anytime soon. If I would come from another platform then I would seriously consider IPS4.2 or XF1, but I would probably wait to see what IPS 4.3 and XF 2.1 bring.

8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    No, it is not advisable.
    You might get too old to manage a forum while awaiting for XF2.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Meh Meh x 1
    • List
  9. The Sandman

+5,512
    Me specifically or anyone? :einstein:

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    Anyone.

11. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    If I was launching a new community from scratch today, with no users, I'd go for IPS, which I find quite weird to type out. I've been following and using XF for years, and I love it. But development has been so slow and the expectations of users for a community have risen sharply the last few years. I know there's only 3 devs and they're working incredibly hard, but maybe 3 isn't enough anymore.

IPS offers a much more rounded community experience out of the box, even if it does have some issues of it's own. There's been two full iterations of Jaxel's XenAtendo and a XF mod also made an events system. None of which are fantastic. I wish there was a calendar in the core that could be extended by developers.

If XF need to up the price and get more devs on board to progress faster then maybe it's time.

XF would be still be my choice if I knew I only wanted a pure message board or I had the cash and time to spend on add ons, so if I was converting an existing site that's already thriving as a message board.

However for most new communities to take off these days they need to be more than just a message board, and many fledgling admins don't have the time or budget to invest in tweaking it to get it up to scratch.

I'm very concerned for the state of forums at the moment. Facebook are holding their first community summit for group admins this weekend. Following on from his long essay about communities a few months ago, Zuckerburg is ramping up groups full on, and it sounds like he's trying to create his entire private forum ecosystem within facebook. A system that already has 1 billion registered users in it as of a year ago (that's group users specifically)

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/11/facebook-communities-summit/

Heck, if I was starting a new community today, I might say bugger the cost of setting up a forum and just create a facebook group, depending on the niche. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what a large number of young or new forum admins are doing.

The feature gap between forums and facebook groups is already quite large in terms of things like access to a high quality native phone app, high quality events system, and sharing of additional content types to text, ie. images and video.

Once they start adding nodes and other features with hundreds of engineers working on groups specifically, the gap will start widening at a faster rate.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  12. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+203
    I would fall into that category. Considering that since I've been here (2013) and and it has taken this long to get to 1.5.14 I may not be around for xf2 release of gold. It takes a long time and many changes for it to mature and it doesn't seem at this point that any improvements to the xf line is not geared towards the end user but more towards add on devs.
    So I'll probably not be changing from the current production.

13. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,833
    Don't plan on converting any of my sites anytime soon... although it will be fun for a new project to experiment with. What to start...

14. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+637
    As my elders used to say, "no time like the present." I'm an elder now, at 67, so I say it too. I recently followed that advice, converting my vB3.8 forum to XF 1.5 and not one bit sorry. I actually had more plugins on the vB forum than I do on XF. But I also now have WordPress as my CMS, instead of vBadvanced CMPS. vBSEO was great to have on vB, but XF handles most of those duties now out of the box.

XF2 has been in the works for a while and I look forward to its release. But I won't be upgrading to it immediately anyway. When my theme developer updates the theme I use and when all the necessary plugins are either updated or replaced to my satisfaction, then I will likely upgrade to V.2.x.

I've been using and managing forums for 20+ years now and am no longer naïve in that manner. I haven't met a forum software that didn't need some plugins. I realize that's an opinion not shared by all, but it's mine. That's why I would not wait for XF2 - because then I'd have to wait for some of the plugins I feel I need too. Who knows how long that wait would be. Some things in life are worth waiting for. Not this.

Life is short. I know that better than most. I don't really tell people, "no time like the present." I just say go for it, dude/dudette.

15. DelDrago

DelDrago Enthusiast

+38
    Well, I just bit the bullet and bought a XenForo license. I'm in the process of moving my forum from vBulletin 4 to Xenforo 1.5. I'm not waiting for Xenforo 2, as I want to finish the migration soon.

Why am I motivated to get this done as soon as possible? Because I can see that most of my visitors are now on mobile devices. vBulletin 4 doesn't look great on mobile, and is clumsy to use. I can see that mobile is the future.

16. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+67
    I'd wait and start fresh on xf2 if I were going to do another forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Meh Meh x 1
    • List
  17. The Sandman

+5,512
    Why wait? What if you had a great idea for an untapped niche and you really didn't want to lose time? Wouldn't you be better off to start with XF 1.5 and minimal customizations and upgrade to XF 2 when it's available?

18. Blueh

Blueh Aspirant

+3
    any estimated release date?

19. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Only estimated date is some time this year for the public beta.

20. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Debuff rated your post [​IMG] Meh in the thread Wait for XF2?.

Sorry, did not know giving you the answer deserved a meh rating, it's not my fault it takes time to code things properly and securely. ;)

• Meh Meh x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.