VPS VPS Install messed up, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by we_are_borg, Mar 9, 2018.

1. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,690
    I'm in a little conflict about my VPS the thing is that a package update of Bind9/Named has a flaw in it. The flaw is only there if you upgraded from one specific version to the version with the flaw. Now my DNS server is all messed up repairing it would take time because a new package is not there and can take a full month until released.

What i can do is login to the back-end of the VPS and reinstall the error would be gone and DNS function would work as expected. This is a few hours work including backing-up the sites and restoring them. The best thing is that every little mistake that was made is gone to. So its waiting or restoring, waiting can take weeks restoring (lots of work) hours to get everything 100%

2. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,102
    (If a managed VPS...) "Excuse me tech support. I need you to fix your faux-pas immediately. Goddamn! And thanks."
    (If an unmanaged VPS...) "Excuse me tech support - I know it's not necessarily within your realm to give a goddamn - but could you please help me fix this? Sincerely, Loyal customer."

Otherwise = I'm not at all sure. And probably using profanity is not the best idea in the world - but it does show a certain aggression in wanting the 'messed up' issue fixed and sorted immediately. And if your host respects you one iota - they'll be more than willing to assist in getting your VPS back online and working as expected. I will not pontificate on the worse = but only wish you luck with a swift resolution we_are_borgwe_are_borg

J.

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,690
    Well its unmanaged and they can't fix it either its a package fault in Plesk and its confirmed not many where hit with it but if your'e unlucky like me well you get the idea.

Its 30 min work to restore server. 6 hours waiting until DNS is updated and 2 hours give or take to restore 100% function to server and better yet no more issues. So with 3 hours work i can restore full function ( i hope it can always go wrong).

4. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+174
    Without more indepth info, I would backup -everything-, then take a copy of your zone files and bind config. Uninstall bind and then install an older version, or even one from a different repository. Push comes to shove, you can compile from source. Either from a vanilla tarball, or from the package source from your distro (with hand applied fix if known).

This is just one package. A full system reinstall shouldn't even be on the radar.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,690
    The issue is that removal of the package can't be done because of its dependency to other packages and i can't seem to find an solution for that issue.

6. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+174
    Hmm. Is it possible to shutdown bind for now, and compile a replacement and run it from a different directory? At least until the fix is released. That way you would only need to make some changes in named.conf.options to point at the temporary working directory.

7. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,690
    Well i just read that its possible to remove bind9 package and install it again there is a function in apt-mark hold to hold a package even if the main package removed after that you can do apt-mark unhold to restore normal function. Going to try this first if it work it would be minutes of work if not i can always reinstall.

8. PoetJC

+5,102
    Well... If I didn't have bad luck - I wouldn't have any at all .... as the saying goes..
    Unfortunately I can't advise about Plesk - I'm all about the cPanel. Fortunately though - Matthew SMatthew S has provided some decent info/suggestions for you. :tup:
    All I can say is = best of luck. And sorta reminds of the importance of doing an entire server backup, which I will do in the next several hours. Cannot advise enough to keep backups of your server and all that jazz. I just hope you get the issue sorted. :love:

J.

9. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+716
    Easiest solution would be to just not update to the flawed package ?

10. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,008
    Force install the older package again ?

There are a number of ways to do that in (yum, or using rpm commands) - not sure what flavour of linux you are using though.

You could even just fire up another vps for a few minutes, with the older package.
    Then take a copy of the working named binary files. Ive done that at least once for a broken package.

11. PoetJC

+5,102
    But how do you even know eva2000eva2000 what the better package is.? Generally flaws are announced ........ after some brave folks have installed the new package only to realize that said package is flawed? o_O

It's only through experience that we know. It's why I particularly wanted to be part of the vB4 beta program. And it's through that experience that I know that perhaps such a program is more geared for we who don't want to have our **** ****ed up; Some are more willing while others: not so much. It's why I say kudos to those who ARE parts of such experiments. From the sounds of the op though - it doesn't seem as the OP has experienced the positive of things, as much as is voicing the woes of somebody who probably should have waited for the various myriad of issues to have come bursting forth from and resolved by those who are a bit more learned in upgrading servers... IDK... But the posted experience certainly does give me room to slightly applaud those willing to turn cheek to the unknown in a willingness to provide (what could be construed as much-needed) data to those testing and providing www functionality.

J.

12. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+716
    Usually having a 2nd staging development test server that is a copy of your live server helps in these situations. So you do updates on staging copy first and see how it goes before doing on live server.

Though for DNS i rarely run my own DNS anymore, use a 3rd party for the above very reasons - stability, uptime and performance of DNS is important. Very same reasons with mail serving via 3rd parties and not locally run mail server.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,459
    Yep, I use CloudFlare DNS for my sites... and have found it to be very reliable and fast to update. Running my own DNS servers (and doing it correctly) was more hassle than it was worth.

14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,690
    It was an issue with plesk and with the image the hosting company used i could not get the old install working. At some point the install was not working correctly anymore. At that point i installed a new image but after everything was setup it did not work. So i installed again and still issues, then i tried instead of Ubuntu CentOS but ran in the same issues. After that i tried Ubuntu without Plesk so just a normal install after that i installed virtualmin and that worked as expected. Back to Ubuntu with Plesk i have read what was wrong it starts with the secrect key of bind9 and a few other issues after correcting them before running Plesk and look and behold it worked. In the end its a plesk issue but also an image issue. Now everything is running on internal DNS so i am happy.

• List
  15. sean8ing

sean8ing Neophyte

+1
    I had the same issue a few years ago.

What I did was use a premium DNS server by dyndns to take out all the DNS headaches.

Adds extra redundancy and ddos protection, and kills the need to run name servers services.

Yeah it costs a few dollars a year but the time saved makes up for it imo

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.