Visitor Used In Place of Guest

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by truthingtotruth, Feb 10, 2019.

1. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    I am wondering what sort of trouble any of you folk might think of if I were to change all the code using the term guest over to using the term visitor? As I believe the industry has pretty much standardized the use of guest, I am also wondering if any of y'all can think of any other sorts of problems that could arise by changing everything from guest to visitor. Would appreciate the help. Thank you.

Well, I should also ask if you know of any platform that does use the term visitor in place of guest? I have it deep in my memory that I saw that sort of usage very many years ago before these fancy forum platforms came out, but I just can't seem to remember where or even when that was. And I could be totally wrong, too.

Anyway, any thoughts? Thanks, again.

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+952
    A member is also a visitor though.

Guests and members are both visitors to your site. Guests are visitors that aren't logged into your site.

3. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    That is an excellent point about vocabulary usage and I must be sure I explain to all, if I do receive approval from my partners to change things, but the reason I didn't think of that; nor think like that, is because I don't agree.

I would not call a citizen of a nation a visitor to the nation where that citizen might be, and I view members as being just like citizens.

But you do bring up a very good point and that means there is extra work to do so that folks that might visit any of the sites where I might try this fully understand that the majority of the management team agreed that a visitor and a guest were different folks. I place a guest a notch above a visitor, is my point.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.

4. Maddox

Maddox Habitué

+969
    It's pretty much semantics and what your interpretation is to the meaning of a word or phrase.

You need to examine the difference between the words to understand your viewpoint. One interpretation is this:

"Visitor" and "guest" are very similar, with a slightly different meaning. A visitor is someone who visits a place, regardless of whether they were invited (like a tourist). A guest is someone who visits a place, but they have specifically been invited (by the host, who is the person inviting them).

So in your usage scenario I would say that the use of the word Visitor is fine.

;)

5. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    Yes, it has become clear that some communications to all that visit a site would need to be properly informed of the management's desire for that change in words usage, but I was sort of wondering if anyone could foresee possible technical problems that could arise by going against an industry standard.

By the way, that definition you posted, Maddox, is rather neat.

6. Maddox

Maddox Habitué

+969
    Unless the software you are using could be affected by such a name change (which if it could cause problems it probably would not allow you to make the change) then I don't see any particular technical problem arising.

For example I use IPS for my site, it has a module titled clubs but using the 'Translate' option I renamed all instances of 'Club' to 'Circle' and there were no technical issues per se. So, it really depends on what software you're using and whether it permits such changes.

;)

7. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    I appreciate the feedback, Maddox. Very likely I won't be able to convince the others in our little group that doing this change is a good thing, but technical questions much as I have asked here will certainly arise when I bring it up at out next meeting.

By the way, the primary platform is a phpBB platform and I think we're going to stay with that in an upgrade soon to take place.

I must confess that this XenForo platform is very tasty looking but I also suspect some buckaroos are required and we sure aren't rich folks, at all.

Anyway, thank you.

8. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    If you put it that way, then guest is the nicer way of putting it, as you imply that everyone who comes to the site is welcome (except maybe some troublemakers lol).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.