Viglink + Adsense = awesome!

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by IcEWoLF, Nov 13, 2011.

1. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    Well while Adsense is making a decent amount for me, running viglink has brought me a lot more $$.

I run a gaming community so I have members always asking for suggestions on the forums about computer parts and what they should buy.
    Most of my guys buy stuff from newegg/amazon/ebay and other popular online tech parts merchants.

I am pleased that there are things like Viglink.
    Adsense+viglink really helps paying for my VPS servers monthly.

I guess what I am trying to say is I appreciate everything that is offered.

Anything else besides these two anyone would recommend running?

I want to be able to run these two and maybe add something else to help creating more revenue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+531
    I dropped Viglink and went with Skimlinks for my gaming site and my revenue from those types of ads have gone up by about 2x. It's not much but Viglink was getting me about 2-5 bucks a day with some days reaching around 10-15. Skimlinks, I've had quite a few days now above 30. Some 2-4 dollar days but generally, around the 10-15/day with nice spikes at least once a week.

3. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    Does skimlinks pay more?
    Not understanding.
    I thought overall viglink has better merchant coverage and payout too.

4. Adam H

Adam H Think before you speak.

+2,018
    Its good to see they both work in some niches, I had them both running on 3 communities which were totalling around 3 million page views a month and im lucky to get $1 a day out of skim or viglink. Just goes to show the gulf in niches for stuff like that.

5. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+410

Emon, that's just amazing. Great reading that you're having success with revenue, and inspiring to other would-be-gamer sites out here!

:)

gogo

6. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+531
    Not sure how you didn't understand that since I even gave numbers. Yes, skimlinks pays ME more. It's worth a try. Run Vig for 2 weeks and run Skim for 2 weeks and see which makes you more money.

7. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    Hmm, here what I got from skimlinks:

8. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+1,608

It may be that for certain niches, skimlinks has some merchants Viglink doesnt and vice versa.

Overall, from what I have heard, Viglink is overall better for US based sites.

All I know, is I do very well with Viglink and the folks that run it have been very helpful and responsive to problems / suggestions. If I had a $15 day, I would freak because it was so low and spend alot of time trying to figure out why.

9. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    Moved over the skimlinks.
    Looks like my revenue is going up..
    I'll post up some numbers in few weeks (maybe 2 months) and then compare it to viglink.

10. CharlieDelta

CharlieDelta Aspirant

+3
    Interesting. Thanks for this. I am keeping an eye open.

11. marin455

marin455 Aspirant

+0
    It would more informative if you could also share the informations about how many unique users you have daily. I didn't use Viglink yet, so it would be really great to see that comparison uu = $$.

12. SpottySocks

SpottySocks Participant

+1
    Skimlinks does nothing for my forum have been using it for months but I guess it depends on the niche you have.

13. Joeychgo

+1,608
    Niche is part of it - Some niches pay better then others.

But it also depends on the niche AND the individual forum from the perspective of do your users frequently post links to products / sites like ebay, amazon, etc where they then might actually buy something?

For example, on one of my car forums, a user will post a link to a parts car on eBay. Several members will click the link and often one will buy in. Hence I do well because of that.

But if you have a forum where links to ebay are rare, and/or they are only posted to make fun of the auctionm your not likely to get alot of clicks and wont make much per click. Make sense?

14. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    I see there is a huge difference in clicks on skimlinks skimwords...compared to viglink words.

My community is gaming related niche also I have a forum section where people ask for suggestions on what computer build they should go for.
    That's huge $$$, sometimes I'll make $20-30 (sometimes more) from a user if they order their whole build from newegg or other computer parts placed.

Based on google analytics I get about 350+ unique visitors daily.

With that said, I run a gaming server community, so I get a lot of direct visits.

15. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    It's funny how one day you get 5 clicks and another day you get 1 click and still make more than 5 clicks.

All about ads that are being advertised?

I am to the point nowadays that I might discontinue using AdSense...the revenue is soo little...
    Took me this time 3+ months to get $104....last time it was averaging around $60 per month.

$20-25 a month and every month it seems like it's going down and down further.

16. Ram8349

Ram8349 Enthusiast

+2

For Adsense, because you get mostly direct traffic, or repeat visitors. they are less likely to click on the same ads again.
    You might want to use an affiliation banner in the place of Adsense. Something like Newegg banner. Or Amazon computer parts.

17. Joeychgo

+1,608

Then change up your strategy and see what happens. Move the ads around, use different size ads. Things like that.... You have nothing to lose, so experiment

18. Joeychgo

+1,608
    The other thing, after looking at your site --- You need to get your traffic up.

There are currently 21 users online. 3 members and 18 guests

Hard to make any money with that kind of traffic. Your focus should be 100% on traffic building at this stage. Money comes after traffic, not before.

19. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    Well in the AM traffic is down...
    I do agree with you I can certainly build up more traffic.
    Usually I average 30-40 users online throughout the day.

20. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+266
    I use skimlinks right now, recently switched from viglink and profit has been up.

I will look into adding a new option for banners directly to Amazon and Newegg and few other places.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted