View Limit for Guests?

DyNAMiiK

Aspirant
So is there a mod for phpbb3 to have a certain view limit for guests? Kinda like the one for TAZ forum

Preemo

Fan
You can edit them in the Permissions page in the ACP.

So they can't see certain pages etc. :)

hari

Tazmanian
You can edit them in the Permissions page in the ACP.

So they can't see certain pages etc. :)

He means to restrict the number of pages a single IP address without logging in can view before being redirected to a registration page.

Orangezone

Aspirant
Well you should be able to just go into permissions in the ACP, and change the permissions to "Guests Cannot View This Page" or something similar.

If not then when you create a category or forum you should also be able to see a setting which says "Who Can View This Page" (Or Something Similar). Just toggle the correct settings to turn off guests being able to view/write/reply.

rusty105

Habitué
Well you should be able to just go into permissions in the ACP, and change the permissions to "Guests Cannot View This Page" or something similar.

If not then when you create a category or forum you should also be able to see a setting which says "Who Can View This Page" (Or Something Similar). Just toggle the correct settings to turn off guests being able to view/write/reply.

I think you are missing the intent. it is like a teaser. As a guest you can view all the forums a normal member can, but you can only view a set number of topics, or pages. Once you get to, say 5 topics, you are prompted to register to continue reading the forums.

Orangezone

Aspirant
Hmmm. Yeah sorry. I don't know if phpBB has this mod? - Or if it does I think you need to pay for it.

Hydrotoast

Enthusiast
I'd imagine that you'd either have to create a cookie that counts the number of threads they've viewed or add some hooks to the session handler in 'includes/sessions.php' to internally count the number of threads.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
So is there a mod for phpbb3 to have a certain view limit for guests? Kinda like the one for TAZ forum

Hey, this is an awesome question ^^

It was actually a member/ mod here at TAZ who I think got this entire concept going a few years back. I forget his name, but I'll take a look back through info here at this forum and pull it up for you guys.

We actually wanted to get that concept going at DarkMatters a few years back, but never took the time to get it going. We instead turned off Guest views for certain sections of our gaming forum that we only wanted registered members to read...but I have always felt that restricting Guests this way was not as successful as what Taz has here going... for example, peeps that used to give links to our gaming forums years back don't do it anymore because a first time view won't give them that "read" and satisfaction. Having the cookie setup here that TAZ has allows peep s to sent out the link have peeps across the world get that first read, then get a few reads, get enticed, "hooked" and then, after they get refused further reads makes them register.

It's a fantastic concept and you can really improve that wonderful feel of a busy and "successful" forum.

:)

gogo