Vidme is closing :(

Discussion in 'Blogs, Wikis, and other CMP's' started by Myrtonos, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:11 PM.

Tags:
  1. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Neophyte

+1
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+860
    never heard of it...

also this is what we see

Sorry, there is a problem

You do not have permission to view this content.
    Error code: 2F173/H

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,092
    Launched in 2014, over 30 million uniques per month a year later results in $10,000,000 venture capital financing over the next two years and now it's being closed because they 'couldn’t find a path to sustainability'? OK... :rolleyes:

• List
  4. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,705
    But

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,092
    That they may be but the cynic in me wonders if it's just words to keep the investors at bay.

6. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,598
    I'm still no wiser, what is (or was) it a site for exactly ?

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,705
    https://vid.me/

Make videos. Make friends. Make money.

Get paid by your fans
    Accept money from your fans through monthly subscriptions and tips.
    • Create exclusive videos
      Publish videos that only your paying subscribers can access.
    • Make money with ads
      Choose to show ads on your videos and earn 70% of all revenue generated.
    • Human-powered help
      You'll always talk to a real human when you need something.
    • Easy transfer from YouTube
      Upload your videos from YouTube with a quick copy/paste of your video links.
    • Find new fans
      Join a growing community with millions of active members and grow your audience.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Gosu

Gosu Aspirant

+26
    Vid.me was supposed to be a Youtube Competitor atleast that's how their team felt like I believe. But I think its hard to keep video streaming platforms going unless you are getting a good roi. Bandwidth prices are too high compared to the money being made.

Sites like netflix can go on because they have paid subscriptions. I'm not sure how websites like Dailymotion keep going. Youtube on the other hand is funded by google so they can keep going. Few years ago an article stated that Google was losing money on Youtube, but they don't want to give it up because it can be bigger in the future and they have a monopoly in that market.

• List
  9. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+88
    sad but yes it is.

youtube cant even make money, hopefully youtube closes down and minds.com gets more popular :)

10. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,837
    That's a shame. Not that I was using it, but a Youtube monopoly would be damaging. We already lost Dailymotion as the most serious challenger, and now this.

Video streaming is a though nut to crack if you need to make revenue since the beginning. The logical solution would be to join a company with longterm profitable branches carrying others or seek to remove the cost of the infrastructure (state support, deals with hosts/cdns).

11. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Neophyte

+1
    Not only does YouTube cost more to run than it earns but look at its content to noise ratio. Also note how little they enforce copyright. There are copyright violations out there that devalue owership of copies of music albums, T.V shows, etc.

The main point of buying a copy of, say, a music album is listening to it. If you can only hear samples of each track, or some whole tracks in advance, then you are defating the purpose of buying it, but sites like Bandcamp unfortunately do exactly that.

12. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+88
    youtube loves to force content violations on anything they consider conservative views I would say, they are liberal loving elitists and it will end up sending the site to the grave if they dont change their ways..

13. VICE

VICE tool

+683
    It's best not to confuse your ideology with reality. Fact: all non mainstream news and commentary sites (especially small ones) are especially hard-hit by this new policy. I can list many left wing channels affected by it. YouTube exist to make money, not to worship one particular ideology. The point of this new censorship is to accommodate the transitional move of cable news into YouTube. That's the point of YouTube TV, something that I refuse to watch even once. I haven't been watching TV for almost ten years and don't intend to do so on YouTube either.

If you take off your tin foil hat, you'll take off all your preconceived bias along with it and you'll realize that it's really just all about the money.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted