vBulletin vs. IPB

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by biggjoe, Jan 28, 2006.

1. biggjoe

biggjoe Participant

+1
    It's that time again. Setting up another Forum, and I'm thinking which one to go with. Price isn't an issue either.

I know vBulletin pretty well, but I've heard great things about IPB including that it has a way better Admin Control Panel and management features.

The thing about vB is that it has that tremendously huge community for mods/hacks and etc.

%#@#....I can't decide.

Any suggestions?

J.

:whew:

2. Adam S

Adam S Fan

+0
    What kind of site is it going to be? That would define(in my book) which to go with.

3. biggjoe

biggjoe Participant

+1
    Well, basically a community driven site with a few categories to start with then kinda go from there.

Discussion based and etc. The thing with vB was that it was kind of a PITA tweaking the skins and stuff. However I was able to lock it down pretty extensively. This Forum will be Public, with the option to register.

I have worked with other products from Invision and I fell in love with it's Admin side. Plus I've heard the same thing from others who have actually used both.

Either way, it will be heavily modded and tweaked.

J.

4. Adam S

Adam S Fan

+0
    Well I think it is up to you. I have used both and I like the ACP of IPB and the user interface of VB. I think the choice is yours.

5. biggjoe

biggjoe Participant

+1
    Tech;

In your opinion, which one offers better over all management from the Admin side? Perhaps better security? Skins/Hacks/Mods?

J.

6. Homerun

Homerun vB User

+0
    I'd definitely choose vBulletin. Lightning fast support, hundreds if not thousands of hacks, and just an overall better choice in my opinion.

7. Big Boss

Big Boss Snake Eater

+0
    You heard him so go for vBulletin! ;)

8. Though I am a multi vB owner, I have to say that I feel the the corerct answer to this question is... each to their own.

vB and IPB are obviously two of the leading players in the BB market, and both have their plus and not so plus points. You need to check out the pros and cons of each really. Good luck to you though, difficult decisions ahead.

9. biggjoe

biggjoe Participant

+1
    Perhaps...some can list out the pros/cons of each...that have used both pieces of software?

Thanks,

J.

10. PacMan

PacMan Fanatic

+157
    My next project(s) will all use VB as I am familiar with it and know which hacks are usefull. If I had more free time, I probably would venture out and try something new.

11. samu2

samu2 Enthusiast

+0
    I used IPB for two years and recently swtiched to VB and would not go back to IPB ever.

I found the ACP in VB harder to use at first as there is so much more to it but it offers so much more the IB

However my old admin who recently left my board started her own board and went back to IB because she thinks that is so much better then VB so it really is each to their own.

I like VB best for their hacks,support,the security fixes that are released often and a lot of built in features that IB requires a hack for.

12. Bendo

Bendo Fan

+7
    I'd go with vB, at least with vB you can read about the issues that current users have and see solutions before you buy. IPB on the other hand seem to feel the need to keep everything behind closed doors.

13. PCOSGurl

PCOSGurl Aspirant

+0
    I have a vB with 30,000 members, but I'm considering IPB for my next forum.

Why? I want integrated CMS and integrated Blogs. That = IPB.

The blog/journal hack has not been completed for the latest version of vB, and there's no word on when it will be done.

14. Sire

Sire Aspirant

+0
    It's been a few years now, but I've had a little experience with both. I think IPB is a bit easier on the server. More efficient coding maybe, but the server loads dropped after I switched from VB to IPB. Has anyone else experienced the same thing ?

15. LiveWire

LiveWire Enthusiast

+0
    Depends on you really. If you feel comfortable using vBulletin cause of its support, hacks, ect.. then go with them. :)

16. Corriewf

Corriewf Fan

+0
    I would look at who you have to compete with. What are they running and what software could you use to gain the upperhand.

17. Marianna

Marianna Cheers!

+5
    They're both very good softwares so I think that, in the end, you'll be happy with both of them. I've seen huge communities powered by those two forum softwares and they had never any sort of problems.

For my community I use IPB for the simply reason that I'm experience with that - I used to be a moderator on a IPB 1.3 forum, which later upgraded to IPB 2.0 and 2.1 so I was very familiar with its moderating tools and now I'm an admin and I find the admin CP to be very well organized, I love the skinning system, which is fairly easy and the inline moderation is outstanding.

What I really think it's also important to consider is how much they are user friendly - I personally think that speaking of user interfact IPB and Vb are pretty much the same, I don't see such huge differences between them.

On another silly note, IPB has better smilies. ;)

18. wizard1974uk

wizard1974uk Tazmanian Gremlin

+20
    VB doesn't necessarily create more load on a server, it could be the way the server is configured.

19. Corriewf

Corriewf Fan

+0
    Or it could be all the hacks people install sometimes.... :unhunh:

20. PacMan

PacMan Fanatic

+157
    This is were Jelsoft is lacking..... I wish they would speed up their development.