vBulletin Undercurrent

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by VICE, Oct 14, 2017.

1. VICE

VICE tool

+681
    Lost but not forgotten, vB5 has piqued my interest once more. Though no longer a license owner, I still regularly receive newsletters from IB by intentionally keeping the subscription as to ensure myself up to date news from the script that most of us once love a long time ago. Indeed, reading them tickle my predispose bias towards the underdog just a little bit. They've come a long way since what was the equivalent of a soaring Hindenburg or a sinking Titanic.

The emails content has been no less than impressive so far, at least in term of what is written. Improvement upon improvement, continuous addition of new features, as if showing us that they aren't slowing down anytime soon. Apparently, the lack of third party supports (and the sense of entitlement that they acquired along the way) has free (or force) Internet Brands to offer perks and bling that you usually get from outside developers in one bundle supported by vBulletin itself.

The push notification and internal chatting system caught my eyes the most but I'm sure there are other things I missed while I glance over the letters.

Still, regardless of the euphoric optimism that vB exudes, real world users experience will remain as the final judge and arbiter and so I've been wondering whether all these fantastical stories are actually felt by members of forums using vBulletin 5. Or perhaps there are just too little vB5 forums out there for us to draw unbiased sample opinions?

2. Pete

Pete Habitué

+148
    There's enough forums out there to keep funding development, but I suspect most of the owners don't participate in places like this that are fairly anti-vB.

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+691
    Agree here.

VB has issues, but the speed and frequency with which they're shoved in poster's faces gets tiring to even read (and I don't even use/participate in VB chat in general).

4. VICE

VICE tool

+681
    I personally would love to hear from actual members of vB5 forums on how the internal chatting system work. IMO, vB5 having its own shoutbox would also be a plus compared to other alternatives.

5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,600
    It's not a shoutbox, it extends the PM system to work like an "Instant Messenger" almost like AOL AIM looking (RIP) but with multiple participants possible.

6. VICE

VICE tool

+681
    Thus, vB5 having its own shoutbox would also be a plus compared to other alternatives. IPB has renounced its shoutbox (correct me if I'm wrong here). You need to pay for it with XF and WBB doesn't even have a decent third party offer. vB5 would gain an edge with this alone but of course, I'm eager to see first how fast out of the box vanilla vB5 is right now. How much has the speed improved? Unbiased opinions of this topic is sorely needed.

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    In terms of funding it wouldn't surprise me if vBulletin was subsidised by the parent company but that's obviously conjecture on my part.

I agree vBulletin 5 owners are not going to get an easy ride here but there are plenty of satisfied vB4 owners who do post and they would mostly join in that chorus of dissent as far as vB5 is concerned. The problem is it's got a poor reputation that's deserved. Personally I think it has a lot going for it which puts it ahead of other products but it's still held back by a ridiculously high bug count and an infrastructure that insists on using a popularity contest (JIRA) to fix bugs which is difficult when a) it's actually not that popular so no one votes and b) the results are often ignored.

I don't have a live forum running on it but I do have access to a development site populated with approximately 1 million posts. Speed wise it's far faster than it was when first released by a magnitude of many. http://www.harmonycentral.com will give you a rough idea of how things stand but be aware things tend to slow a little if you log in as a registered user. The search function however is unacceptably slow and returns poor quality results.

I could produce a list of gripes but they are easily summed up as still too many bugs to make the product viable and upgrades tend to be a bit of a lottery. That's my opinion, it may well be out of sync with the general consensus but keep in mind I actually like a lot of what vBulletin 5 has to offer.

8. cellarius

cellarius Neophyte

+4
    The forums that are already there don't fund development, since there's not renewal system. Funding would have to come from people buying new licenses.

9. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,600
    Don't discount a percentage of existing customers are now Cloud customers, and also a percentage of download customers purchase support plans and professional upgrades. Not that either is forced but as Admins want less responsibility and want things done for them I suspect it's more (as a percentage of new forum buyers) than in the VB 3.x days.

10. VICE

VICE tool

+681
    So there's really no way to learn the current state of vB5 safe for purchasing the license yourself.

11. I A 1

I A 1 Participant

+20
    The new features are tempting but we do not want to take the risk again. Once we made a mistake of upgrading to vB 5.1.0 around years ago and the forum nearly went dead. Then we had to downgrade back to vB4. Until now we are running vB4 with several custom add-ons. Almost all of them will be incompatible with vB5 if we upgrade and we simply do not want to risk losing forum activity anymore.

12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,600
    You can use the VB Support forum at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ and as always you can create your own free 7 day trial at https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/ which can now be rolled over directly to a vBCloud site if you're happy with the way you designed it and don't want to start from scratch.

13. Mark.B

Mark.B Tazmanian

+524
  14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    If you are happy with vB4 i would stick with that, have no idea of the status of vB5 but the sites Mark gave are to small and has almost no current users online to see if its good. Also vB5 add-ons are not wide spread as vB4, it could mean that you’ll need to hire a developer and recreate does add-ons. So if happy stay if not you need to consider all options.

15. VICE

VICE tool

+681

Is the trial version equal to out of the box vanilla license or are there additional improvements (e.g. caching) involved that you will not get when you install it yourself?

16. Mark.B

Mark.B Tazmanian

+524
    The trial version is effectively a Cloud site.
    It's the same as the download version except that you can't install addons, edit templates or import custom styles (though you can create your own styles, add custom css etc).

17. Mark.B

Mark.B Tazmanian

+524
    Any site that relies heavily on modifications should stay on the branch they are on. This applies to other software too.
    I've said again and again that existing sites of any type on any platform need to ask themselves what the reasons are for wanting to upgrade.
    "To get the latest shiny new version" is a terrible reason for a successful, established community to upgrade.

18. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,562
    The trials are exactly the same code as you download, just running on the vb cloud platform (meaning some features are disabled).

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  19. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,562
    Small sites will run on vB5, they will never be fast, but they will run ok.
    Just never try running a large site on it, the performance will not be good.

20. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+844
    That's just crazy but so true :(
    I wish more admins knew how badly vb5 will run if they try to import a large forum into it.

It's nuts that vb5 went "gold" early 2013 and here it's 4.5 years later and 31 versions later yet vb5 still isn't half the framework that vb4 was and still is.

I've yet to have a client who's truly happy with vb5 and hasn't had a load of issues just getting a site setup let alone one running smooth with a large community. :(

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted