vBulletin.Org, the end of an era ?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Paul M, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,242
    Someone actually asked that - he claims its on his own.

2. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+434
    Everyone quit, now he's in charge and he thinks he's going to lay down the law and tell us all how its done. In summary:

aeq2wire.com_wp_content_uploads_2017_07_lewis_fort_2.jpg

3. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,326
  4. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,844
    He has stated his is doing this of his own accord. I've always found Mike (LSM) to be a good guy, and I honestly believe he's doing what he thinks is best for the site. I think he means well, although I think I would allow criticism of IB because it's well-deserved in this case.

5. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,523
    Perhaps he's susceptible to Jedi mind tricks and it's not really his idea at all.

6. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+44
    Well, being a 'good guy' and 'doing the right thing' aren't necessarily the same things, are they? I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I absolutely hate that stuff. You build a community, you are (or should be) subject to feedback from said community. The only reason staff has a site to moderate is because of the community. Alienating the community, and then shutting down people's right to voice their displeasure has nothing to do with protecting the community. It's about shutting down criticism. I respect that some of the folks involved have too much class to call it what it is - but I'm not bound by those constraints. It's cringe-worthy and embarassing. I own and run a vB site. I don't shut down legitimate feedback because I don't want to hear it.

Screw vBulletin.org. I won't be back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. PoetJC

+5,326
    Thank you for acknowledging the class! Had I been Lynne - had I been Paul .... And IB treat me as it seems they've been treated... The constraints would be all the way off and some higher-up be completely smacked on both sides of the face. Even throughout the whole entire drama of it all - the 'hired hands' have been a class act. KUDOS to them and shame on IB.

J.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Exequiel.P

Exequiel.P Neophyte

+4
    The funny thing about vBulletin is the price of your license, maybe still have not heard that your golden era is over.

9. PoetJC

+5,326
    IKR... The price point of $249 ($399 for the bundled mobile suite) seems OUTRAGEOUS for the vB 5 Connect license.

I know the argument is that you have access to the more operable vB 4.x series ... But it seems the goal is to sell the 'latest greatest' version = vB 5 Connect, which in the opinions of waaaaay too many active license holders is a sub-par script, the worse that vBulletin has ever offered.

I wouldn't pay $249 for it - that's for sure!

J.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. The Sandman

+5,523
    Activity on vBorg has really fallen off, but apparently the powers that be want some new moderators over there. I wish them good luck... they have some rather big shoes to fill. :D

upload_2017-7-26_13-6-37.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,477
    Wait.. get started with your own social network? When I hear "social network" a forum isn't my first go-to (although, I suppose it could be classed as one.. kinda/sorta).

12. The Sandman

+5,523
    Purely a marketing strategy I'm sure.

13. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    Surprising move, asking for moderators. TheLastSuperman is still there and Dave is still an advisor, seems like he would naturally be promoted to Moderator. Two mods and two Admins is probably more than enough for current traffic, even when I was a mod it seemed we were overstaffed. Days would go by, sometime weeks before I was the first person to zap a spammer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,242
    There are people who would jump at it, we used to get PMs asking to be mods.

15. MarkFL

+1,844
    apreaprez.files.wordpress.com_2014_09_scabkonopacki_zpsf16450c7.jpg

16. Igneous

Igneous Participant

+15
    What is VB.orgs activity like nowadays then?

Has it dropped off considerably since the majority of the staff left?

17. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    I think I was one of them, back when I had vBulletin. :D

18. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Its a terrible news, feel bad for the VB.org staff. However, I fail to understand how people are so surprised at IB doing this, this was pretty normal from them dont you think so? Typical IB if you ask me.
    :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  19. MarkFL

+1,844
    I would say, at least for me, the surprise came in that vBorg had been allowed to operate under the direction of volunteer staff, without outside interference for about 15 years. This would have been surprising to me no matter who was behind it.

20. Zylantex

Zylantex Adherent

+71
    It's certainly the end of an era for me, I have just sold my last vBulletin licence. In the current climate I think I was lucky to get anything for it tbh. I can now delete vBulletin.org and vBulletin.com from my favourites. Adios old friend, it was good while it lasted.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.