vBulletin.Org, the end of an era ?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Paul M, Jun 30, 2017.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+628
    and PHP 7.2 ? PHP 7.2 beta1 is coming next week :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    vB3 and VB4 dont like PHP 7.2 much.

That said, I dont think any of the errors are fatal, so if you completely suppressed error reporting, you might get away with it.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. inomnibus

inomnibus Aspirant

+26
    Complete suppression is the IB Way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    Ok ..... :rolleyes: What is that even supposed to mean ?

Error supression was built into vB3 by Jelsoft, and replicated into vB4 (its probably in vB2 as well).

5. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+334
    Suppression of dissent on the forums.
    Suppression of former employees with the XenForo lolsuit.

C'mon you're not that thick. :p

6. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    The discussion was about php 7.2 and errors.
    If you have something useful to add, please do, but pointless digs about IB are not welcome.

7. inomnibus

inomnibus Aspirant

+26
    I meant IB has a habit of suppressing their own errors in terms of the decisions they have made with the vBulletin product.
    No one has ever publicly admitted to making poor decisions and no one has been made to pay for said poor decisions.
    The vB.org decision is just another poor one in a long line of poor ones.
    In any reputable company Robert Briscoe would have been out the door after the vB4 "Gold" fiasco.
    But not only did he receive a free pass on vB4, a product salvaged largely by the likes of yourself and others, he has also received a free pass on vB5.
    If vBulletin.org is the end of an era then vBulletin.com will be defined as the end of an error.
    Considering I've been exclusively a vBulletin customer since 2000 and have openly defended the vB5 product this is not pointless bashing.
    It is a customer wishing someone higher up than customer support and the developers cared about the future of the product.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  8. joevelez

joevelez Aspirant

+11
    Some people get it. :)

9. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,854
  11. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,653
    I'm surprised they left mine. I did try to word it very carefully. :D

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,636
    It appears your subsequent post highlighting some out-of-date information has been logged in JIRA, marked as resolved and petitioned to be reopened. All this to amend the site 'About Us' page.

I try, I honestly try not to bitch and moan about vBulletin but but they present such an easy target it's almost impossible to resist.

LaurelandHardyWayO_3274850k-large.jpg

13. The Sandman

+4,653
    Which still lists Marco as the Site Coordinator BTW, so it's not like it's only a little bit out of date. Marco's been gone what, almost 7 years? And I'm not even getting into the assertion "vBulletin.org is primarily run by volunteers who, like our member base, are vBulletin customers" - it's clear who's running vBorg now.

ai0.wp.com_herbertimo.files.wordpress.com_2015_01_wpid_giphy_4.gif

14. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+334
    About a year after Internet Brands took over vBulletin, I posted this image. I was ridiculed for my sky-is-falling opinion. After all, vBulletin was the industry leader and had a spotless reputation at that point. :p

Attached Files:

15. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    Since I cannot access vborg Jira anymore, I dont know what they did, but the process of using Jira for all VBO changes is standard (and one I insisted be used).

Everything is stored in svn (code & styles) and the site reloaded from svn on any updates.
    So even a custom template change would be wiped out by a subsequent change and reload if its not correctly saved.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  16. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,636
    I used to use a similar system when I had forums running on vB4 to ensure continuity after an upgrade so I can see the point of it but changes to content even on custom pages was a trivial process despite being logged. This seems unnecessarily protracted.

17. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    The basic process is pretty simple ;

1. Log Jira
    2. Update in SVN.
    3. Deploy to Stage
    4. Verify its correct.
    5. Deploy to Live
    6. Verify its correct
    7. Close Jira.

VBC, VBO & VBG all sucessfully used that basic process (which I built) for 5 years, and no one had any complaints.
    You can argue thats over complicated if you want, but when you are maintaining multiple sites and systems, its far easier to just have a standard process.

The only part that puzzles me as why the Jira was closed before the work had been done.

18. The Sandman

+4,653
    I blame Marco!

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,323
  20. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+494
    We use a similar process.

Verification: