vBulletin Impex giving me headaches, 1044 error on last step only.

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by bonejj, Jul 22, 2012.

1. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    This should be the right spot...

I've been trying to import some old databases back into the fold of my forum and for the most part everything went pretty smooth... Until the last step where I need to get rid of the import tags to clean up the database and make things run smoother.

It is only at this last step that I get this error message and I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from.

At no other time in the importing process do I get this error. I do notice that it states that it's using the includes/config.php file for this step but I can't seem to find the error in my config file that would prevent it from being able to clean up the database.

Maybe someone on here is a little more knowledgeable about this type of thing as I've spent the last week on the vbulletin.com forum and no one seems to have any useful suggestions.

I even tried re-uploading every file, I also tried multiple times to import into different databases with different users and nothing has yielded me being able to do this last step in the process. Everything else works fine but this last step.

I am on a virtual dedicated server with godaddy, it's an older one but it is newer than vb3.7.0 which is what I'm using. I'm trying to get this all ironed out so that I can just move on and upgrade to vb4 here in the near future but I wanted to get all the databases combined back into one file again so that I can have a nice clean simple move. This is proving to be a royal pain in the butt!!!

My site I'm working on is FloridaStreetScene .

If anyone has a suggestion as to changes to make I would greatly appreciate it!

BTW, I have full root access to the server and so on.

2. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    Did you check the db name and db username and db password in config.php to make sure they are correct?

3. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    That I did. The forum works fine as it uses the same file. This is the strange part! I just don't seem to be able to find the problem....

via mobile, crazy...

4. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    anyone with ideas on this one?

5. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    What about the database name and password you're importing to? Is that all accurate? The config.php file in Impex is not the same config.php file that is used to run the site.

6. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    The clean up command states that it uses the includes/config.php

The rest of the import system went fine it seems this last step is the issue so I would think it would be something that is in the forum's config file. There should have been an error on the other end if it was the impex config file.

I think I'm going to have to attempt to redownload the vb3.7 system and try to see if I can find a config file difference.

The other option is that something else got jacked in the system but I can't seem to find anything else that would be the cause. It's very peculiar indeed...

7. Lisa

+8,476
    Impex has its own config file - you have to edit it to list both the database you want to import into and the database you are pulling the information from. It does not use the main config.php of your forum itself.

The error message specifically states that it cannot connect to the database vbulletin_forum by using the username and database information supplied, which suggests you either a) haven't changed it or b) have inputted the wrong information. There's also the c) option of someone having been in and changed the information as well.

Either way, you need to check the config.php specific to Impex and not the config.php file that runs the forum.

8. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    but I've already done that gone through it multiple times.... I even redid the original a couple times and re-uploaded that to the system. But that doesn't seem to be the problem as even doing a full import with different databases it always goofs at the last step.

And at the top of the impex page where the database/cleanup link it it states "uses includes/config.php" that config file is the forum's config file. But the forum is working fine and without issues, but the impex system doesn't seem to be able to use it or there is some other error on my server that is blocking it.

I don't see how it could be a permissions issue seeing as the forum works without issue.

9. Lisa

+8,476
    Well there's an error with the username or db somewhere - even if it's just a erroneous space.

10. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,267
    Make sure the user account in mySQL (the "databaseuser" bit in the error you posted) is allowed the proper permissions to read/write from the database you're attempting to access. ("vbulletin_forum" in the error).

You can do this through phpmyadmin or from the command line.

11. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    how would I do this from command line? I'm not fully versed on that aspect of things.

12. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,267
    This page should help you: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/user-account-management.html

I actually suggest you do it via phpmyadmin if you have it installed on the server. It'll be less trouble if you aren't already familiar managing mySQL via CLI.

13. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    that's the problem, I don't have phpmyadmin on the server, that's one of the things that I'm lacking on there. I'm in the process of looking for a vps that will have phpmyadmin and mysql. That's part of my goal when I move to another server so that I can have all the tools for all of my sites that I could really use.

I have to setup all my databases though the plesk panel right now and it's a royal pain in the butt....

Thanks for the link I will look through that here in a little bit when I get back home and see what I can turn up. I have a meeting with one of the chamber of commerce from my city tomorrow morning so I probably wont be doing much with it tonight/tomorrow.

14. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,267
    Plesk should have a similar way to give the user permission to access that database, I'll see if I can find something for you. I haven't had to deal with it for many years but as I remember it wasn't the greatest control panel in the world. ;/

15. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Tazmanian

+38
    Are you hitting your queries per hour limit? Some hosts restrict access in this method.

16. bonejj

bonejj Participant

+1
    I wish it did but I don't seem to be able to find such a thing. once I go into the database related areas there are no other options in there other than just adding a user and creating the database. it gives me no options other than that. I can create multiple users though.
    I don't have those restrictions to my knowledge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.