Vbulletin for New site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inertia

Participant
I am not too familiar with this software apart from a few Naruto forums, I am apart of presently. I actually like it. I am unsure of what version they run though.

However, I've read some troubling posts about Vbulletin? As I am starting an anime/gaming project, I am looking at various software to find something new that i've never tried and take the opportunity to learn. Is Vbulletin good for new forums?

PaulKet

Habitué
Is Vbulletin good for new forums?

vB5 is a complete mess and there are a number of threads here with forum owners who regret converting to it deeply. vB4 and vB3 are no longer being developed and you would be better off using a free script that is, such as SMF or phpBB3.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
vB3 yes, vB4 possibly. vB5 definitely not.

Inertia

Participant
vB5 is a complete mess and there are a number of threads here with forum owners who regret converting to it deeply. vB4 and vB3 are no longer being developed and you would be better off using a free script that is, such as SMF or phpBB3.

vB3 yes, vB4 possibly. vB5 definitely not.

http://www.narutoforums.com/
Could you tell me which that uses? Hmm, I probably won't use free. I'd rather use something with an active developer community.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Are we able to buy that still?
I believe you would have to buy the current vb5 but you may get access to older versions. BirdOPrey5 will be able to confirm or deny that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasty

Fan
Look at Woltlab Burning Board. Inexpensive, straight forward, no-drama-tech-support, easy

Inertia

Participant
Look at Woltlab Burning Board. Inexpensive, straight forward, no-drama-tech-support, easy
Oh since our site is possibly considering them, this a good time to test drive them on a larger site. I forgot about WBB.

Rasty

Fan
Oh since our site is possibly considering them, this a good time to test drive them on a larger site. I forgot about WBB.

I can help if you have questions. They have a free trial that gives you access to everything. I have two WBB licenses and have picked up just enough knowledge to know what I can do and what I need a pro to handle.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
You can purchase a VB5 license and still be able to download/use VB 3.x.
Alternatively you can buy a used VB4 license and get access to the latest VB 3.x as well. Do not buy a used VB 3.x licence, it won't have the latest versions.

And yes, VB 3.x and 4.x are still being developed, both have a current beta version for latest PHP 5.5.x/5.6.x updates.

In fairness however these are likely the last updates either will receive.

Inertia

Participant
I can help if you have questions. They have a free trial that gives you access to everything. I have two WBB licenses and have picked up just enough knowledge to know what I can do and what I need a pro to handle.
Thank you. The forum I am a Staff member on(Micah's) is contemplating a move to WBB, so it'll be good to use his site a a guinea pig. How long have you used WBB yourself? Would you recommend them over other solutions like Vbulletin, Xenforo, and IP Board?

Inertia

Participant
You can purchase a VB5 license and still be able to download/use VB 3.x.
Alternatively you can buy a used VB4 license and get access to the latest VB 3.x as well. Do not buy a used VB 3.x licence, it won't have the latest versions.

And yes, VB 3.x and 4.x are still being developed, both have a current beta version for latest PHP 5.5.x/5.6.x updates.

In fairness however these are likely the last updates either will receive.

But i am confused as to why I buy a Vb5 license but I can't use/shouldn't use the VB5 version even if it is newer and has more updates?

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
But i am confused as to why I buy a Vb5 license but I can't use/shouldn't use the VB5 version even if it is newer and has more updates?
You might want to go spend some time reading in the vB forum on here ;)

Rasty

Fan
Thank you. The forum I am a Staff member on(Micah's) is contemplating a move to WBB, so it'll be good to use his site a a guinea pig. How long have you used WBB yourself? Would you recommend them over other solutions like Vbulletin, Xenforo, and IP Board?

Moved from Joomla in June to WBB. My partners and I looked at XF, IPB and Vbulletin and picked WBB. We are very pleased. Version 4.1 looks even better.

Inertia

Participant
Moved from Joomla in June to WBB. My partners and I looked at XF, IPB and Vbulletin and picked WBB. We are very pleased. Version 4.1 looks even better.
Never heard of Joomla.

Well hopefully, I'll get firsthand experience with it if he moves it to WBB. I don't like Demo's much because they don't let you test drive a site with your data and members on it. It's like a superficial glance at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.