vBulletin config.php File Location & Website Security

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Pigoo, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Pigoo

Pigoo Aspirant

+7
    While doing some research...sort of accidentially came across some info about how the config.php file shouldn't be located in a websites public_html directory...but better located "outside" the public_html directory...or in a higher level directory. The rational being that this could be a security weakness since it can provide easier access to a website's database.

The articles I've seen about this seem to be more WordPress or Joomla related...and not vBulletin. Was wondering if this makes sense for vBulletin (or even possible to do this with vBulletin)...and if it is possible...would it be a smart thing to do?

Thanks

2. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+959
    The config file in vBulletin is a .php file, so even if someone located it via the known path, it still won't display anything but a blank page on the client side.
    I wouldn't even know where to begin in moving vbulletin's config file, I'm sure there are calls to it all over the rest of the files.

3. Pigoo

Pigoo Aspirant

+7
    As a novice in this area (coding)...that would be my knee-jerk reaction as well. But since this sort of advice (moving config.php file to a more secure location)...seems to be be written quite a bit for WordPress (and I've seen some for Joomla).

Just do search with the term "move config.php file"...and anyone interested will see what's being said.:)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.