vBulletin - bad for Google listings?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by nsusa, Feb 14, 2006.

1. nsusa

nsusa Aspirant

+0
    It seems like that with the upcoming Big Daddy Google update many forum websites will loose a high number of pages indexed by Google. I think what happens is that Google is removing pages with duplicate content (vBulletin archives, different links/views to the same pages, etc.).

Does this make se-friendly URLs in vBulletin more important? Is it better to turn of the archive in VB to avoid a duplicate content filter to punish the site? What's everyone's take on that?

Christoph

2. DChapman

DChapman Devotee

+14
    vBulletin needs a lot of SEO work out of the box. This has been true for some time now. With Big Daddy, it will be increasingly true.

The archive is a big problem. It would be easy to turnoff the archive or utilize it as a sitemap, however, I know forums that generate upwards of 90% of their revenue from the archive. Obviously these forums don't want to turn it off.

I know of a group testing a fix for this issue. I hope it works, as it would certainly solve a major conundrum.

3. MGM

MGM vBulletin Guru

+7
    A group? Could you provide a link or some more information?

MGM out

4. AWS

AWS Guest

+129
    To avoid duplicate content only allow the spiders access to index, forumdisplay and showthread. The problem is there is more than one way vbulletin can show each thread. Showpost and print thread are a couple examples of showing the same content.
    I have this as my robots.txt.
    Code:
    # MS-OS: 2005-05-11
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /newthread.php
    Disallow: /newreply.php
    Disallow: /showpost.php
    Disallow: /printthread.php
    Disallow: /member.php
    Disallow: /memberlist.php
    Disallow: /calendar.php
    Disallow: /sendmessage.php
    Disallow: /subscription.php
    Disallow: /search.php
    Disallow: /report.php
    Disallow: /misc.php
    Disallow: /register.php
    Disallow: /login.php
    Disallow: /forumdisplay.php?page
    Disallow: /forumdisplay.php?sort
    Disallow: /forumdisplay.php?order
    Disallow: /forumdisplay.php?pp
    Disallow: /forumdisplay.php?daysprune
    Disallow: /forumdisplay.php?do
    # Allow: /forumdisplay.php?f=
    # Allow: /forumdisplay.php
    Disallow: /showthread.php?mode
    Disallow: /showthread.php?goto
    Disallow: /showthread.php?post
    Disallow: /showthread.php?page
    Disallow: /showthread.php?pp
    Disallow: /showthread.php?p
    Disallow: /archive
    # Allow: /showthread.php?t=
    # Allow: /showthread.php
    # Allow: /announcement.php
    # Allow: /faq.php
    # Allow: /index.php
    # Allow: /index.php?
    # Allow: /sitemap.xml

With this all my forums, threads and posts are well indexed and there is no duplicate content spidered. Notice I als disallow the archive. The archive is just another way to show the same content which Google could penalize you for. There are a few that disallow everything from the live forum and send all spiders to the archive. This is another way to do it, but, I prefer to have the people coming in from Google to be in the thread or post. That way they are one click away from registering instead of 2.

5. jcerious

jcerious Participant

+0
    I don't think the search engines are indexing my forum at all! I checked by searching on some exact text that has appeared in one of the threads since December and absolutely nothing came up. Any ideas why that might be?

6. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272

I disagree that showpost would be considered Duplicate content.

I can not see how Google would consider these the same thing:

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/uh-yeh-19622.html

and

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/285477-post5.html

they are not the same thing and if anything else this one post could be more keyword dense than the whole thread combined.

7. mightyb

mightyb Amaizingnistrator

+2
    Someone on digital point forums did an experiment that basically shows that VB is just as good out of the box and some SEO tweaks/hacks might even hurt the forum. The tests were also done in the long run.

8. DChapman

DChapman Devotee

+14
    If you're going to utilize that method, why not just convert the archive to a sitemap as it does make an excellent one.

Excluding your archive and not showing ads there drops your revenue generating potential significantly. Depending how agressive you want to get in the archive with ads, you can get upwards of 15% CTR there.

They are considered the same thing because the 2nd post has the same content as the first post. If they didn't consider it duplicate content, then we could go around cutting up articles and making 50 different threads out of one article. Google, when indexing those pages, will choose to display one or the other, but will not display both in the SERPs. In addition, when you have showpost able to be indexed, your onpage links on showthread are often greater than 100 which isn't good.

Please link me to that thread as I couldn't disagree more. Naturally, some SEO tweaks can hurt you, but there are a lot of tweaks that can be made to vastly improve results.

9. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272

How can the second or even the 11th post have the same content as the first post when it clearly... doesn't.

A thread titled list your car specs will be different post by post

Can you show me where google says for fact that these are considered duplicate pages?

Oh and you can see how my archive works with VBSEO. It redirects the showthread archive links to the actual threads http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/archive/f-261.html

10. PalePhoenix

PalePhoenix Prince of Dorkness

+29
    This is good, I was just about to start a thread to ask, "What the heck is Google doing on my site?" Though Mods and I think there's nothing to really complain about, we've gone from once a month visits/hits, to once a week, to daily (at about 5 pages cached), to where it's at now, visiting about twice a day with nearly 200 hits at a clip.

What's oddest about this, it's one of only three spiders to stop by...at least the only ones that are being SHOWN and COUNTED. We've got all the major ones set to show in the online list, but even in the ACP, we only see Google, AskJeeves, and Archive.org. Strangely, we've just leapt from 200 pages on MSN to 600. All of this is "good," we suppose, but we don't entirely understand the behavior.

And despite their gracing us with their august presence, we're still not seeing any more actual caches on Google, nor an increase in PR (which a Mod keeps telling me there are "rumors" they'll be re-ranking next month).

11. DChapman

DChapman Devotee

+14
    Let's take a look at webhostingtalk.com, an outstanding pr8 vBulletin forum that does no SEO work. They have 476,743 threads.

A site:webhostingtalk.com ([ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awebhostingtalk.com&btnG=Google+Search"]site:webhostingtalk.com - Google Search[/ame]) returns 369,000 results.

A site:webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php ( [ame="http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=site%3Awebhostingtalk.com%2Fshowpost&btnG=Search"]site:webhostingtalk.com/showpost - Google Search[/ame] ) returns 14 results.

Google doesn't like showpost.php much :) All it does is hurt you.

*edit* I just noticed that WHT rel no follows their showpost on showthread, so that's not a great example. I have to run out for a bit, i'll add a better one when I get back.

Yes, that's definitely a viable method (until your site gets LARGE in which case you will have more than 100 links per page) as long as you don't mind losing 80%+ of your site's revenue generating capabilities.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  12. DChapman

DChapman Devotee

+14
    Your redirect from your homepage to your forums is hurting you big time.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <TITLE>400 Bad Request</TITLE>
    </HEAD><BODY>
    <H1>Bad Request</H1>
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<P>
    Invalid URI in request GET  HTTP/1.1<P>
    <HR>
    <ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.33 Server at AppStuff Port 80</ADDRESS>
    </BODY></HTML>

13. PalePhoenix

PalePhoenix Prince of Dorkness

+29
    We know. How do we STOP it? Not even the provider seems to know.

14. DChapman

DChapman Devotee

+14
    What is the content of:

1. Your root .htaccess file

2. Your root .html (or .php) file

15. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272

Has someone documented that 80%?

I don't see the difference between them finding my real thread over my archive thread..

Google seems to like Digitial points showposts... [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=site%3Aforums.digitalpoint.com%2Fshowpost.php&btnG=Search"]site:forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php - Google Search[/ame]

16. DChapman

DChapman Devotee

+14
    I have :)

On my own forums and on over 50 communities I have done work for. It's often higher than 80%.

Aggressive use of ads there can bring upwards of 15% CTR and it is common to see $xx.xx CPM.

17. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    Alright, I'll bite.. I just saw $$$ signs...

Can you show me one of your sites archives so I can see how you have your ads arranged? PM if you dont want to post.

Thanks for the help

18. Scribbller

Scribbller The dude

+9
    DChapman I would also like to see your ad arrangement in your archive.

19. Scribbller

Scribbller The dude

+9
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.