vBulletin Ad Rotator?

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by GeorgeB., Dec 4, 2004.

1. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+110
    I'm looking for a solution o rotate some of my affiliate and ad network banners.

What do you use in vbulletin? Everyone says phpAdsnew but it just seems too overcomplicated for what I want to do. I just want it to rotate banners and count clicks.

Also you can't exactly do a PHP include in vb templates so how "exactly" do "you" implement banners?

Is there a VB specific ad rotator? Maybe that should be a feature in vb 3.1?

2. Bryan

Bryan Lost in Ohio...

+3
    I just started using phpadsnew last night to replace empty/default ads with Burst... It was a bit confusing at first, but once you set up one advertiser account and one publisher account it's not too bad.

I just put the code for whatever ad I want to run all under the advertiser account and put the invocation code for the publisher account in an empty .php page and put that URL in for my "personal campaign" and it seems to be working okay...

Using phpadsnew for the first time was a bit confusing tho LOL

I think an Ad Rotation Script would be nice for future version of vB

3. dune

dune Habitué

+1
    There's quite a few threads on phpAdsnew on this site. Check them out. It's a great program and I doubt vB would add anything nearly as comprehensive.

4. I use phpadsnew and I love it...its an amazing program...and totally free

5. TheNakedMan

TheNakedMan Former vB Customer

+3
    it does add quite a few queries if I remember correctly...but does work wonderfully!

6. teamrocket

teamrocket TheKyle.ca

+0
    I am coding another type of script like this that would blow your mind. I could TELL you what it is, but that really wouldn't be much fun now would it?

7. NeoMatrix

NeoMatrix Graphic Designer

+0

Common tr, tell us of this great hack :)

8. teamrocket

teamrocket TheKyle.ca

+0
    Well, I will reveal that it does integrate with the UserCP and Paid Subscriptions systems of vB but that's about all I am willing to tell.

9. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+110
    Did anyone actually read my post before they began their unpaid phpadsnew campaign?
    I don't want adsnew. I'm looking for alternatives. I already know what it does and all of it's "great features. That's the roblem, there's too many. Also it's geared towards ad selling. I'm not selling ads... I just want to rotate my affiliate program banners.

10. teamrocket

teamrocket TheKyle.ca

+0
    Well, you will also like the other features of my hack. Oh, and I will NOT give any more clues.

11. dune

dune Habitué

+1
    Sorry, I guess I was really replying to the second post, not yours.

Well, you might end up selling ads in the future, and you'll already be prepared... Most of the ads in rotation on my site are affiliate ads. But it sure makes it easy to plug in the paying ones into rotation...

12. teamrocket

teamrocket TheKyle.ca

+0
    Thanks for the idea. I will add that feature in my hack

13. dune

dune Habitué

+1
    What idea was that?

14. teamrocket

teamrocket TheKyle.ca

+0
    Making it work with all usergroups, not just paid subscriptions.

15. Zate

Zate Enthusiast

+0
    my partner and i started using phpnewads but it was just far too bloated and complicated. We ended up writing our own with perl .. it ties in to the vbulletin.. sends PMs to the admins when a new banner is created for them to approve it.. sends theuser a PM when its approved and when their "credits" gets low.. and uses paypal for users to buy credits/views for their banners.

We are probably going to release this early next year after we have tested it a little more...

16. Brook

Brook Devotee

+19
    Zate and Teamrocket.... any news on your hacks?

17. wolfyman

wolfyman Aspirant

+0
    Did this ever come to life?

18. alsarcastic

alsarcastic Fan

+114
  19. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+443
    Why would you not use openX aka phpadsnew?
    It doesn't seem that complicated, but I've been using it a few years so maybe it's just that I know what it can do.
    It still gets my vote above anything else, sorry if you don't like it :|

20. wolfyman

wolfyman Aspirant

+0
    It's been a few years since I tried it... last time I used it, it seemed overly complicated.

I'll give it another shot, what the heck.

I DO like the thought of having paid subscriptions handle it, though!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted