vBulletin 6?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by JLT, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JLT

JLT Aspirant

+0
    vBulletin 5 failed and for good reason. Why haven't IB moved onto developing vBulletin 6 yet? There's a chance they could redeem vBulletin. Offer it as a free upgrade for those who purchased vBulletin 5 out of good will, or possibly switch to paying for support every 6 months for access to the latest version instead like XenForo and IPB.

It's a shame to see what was once the best forums software end up like this. They should move on from vBulletin 5. Its reputation is ruined and nothing can redeem it.

2. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    I would love to see a vB6 but I'm not sure if the company has what it takes to make good forum software anymore. They could hire the best programers on Earth but even then it would lack a certain something that only people who actually WANT to build forums would have. I'm pretty sure they're done.

3. JLT

JLT Aspirant

+0
    vBulletin 3 is still respected to this day. vBulletin 4 is respected as well. They could definitely redeem themselves with vBulletin 6 and compete with IPB and XenForo IMO. Whether they actually will or not is another question.

4. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    I still run a BUNCH of vB3s. I love it. I have a few vB4s as well. Love it also. I won't touch vB5. Well. Maybe I will some day with one of my dead forums. Just to have it. But I'll never use it for an important community.

It certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility that they can bring a vB6 to the table. I just don't have confidence that it'll be anything special. I don't think they have the right people on staff anymore. Or at least not enough of them.

But there are a number of options they could choose from to get started. Perhaps buying MyBB and turning that into something really competitive. But I think it's more likely they'd move forward with their cloud platform and go that route.

5. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+666
    From what I've gathered from several people who are or have been on the inside at IB, it is extremely unlikely that IB will develop a vB 6. Obviously with the right people and sufficient resources, it could be done, but I sincerely doubt IB would be the ones to do it.

I also would love to see it happen, for the software to be rewritten from the ground up, but I'm not holding my breath. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,030
    I would say there is zero chance of that unless they get rid of management, and then spend a BUNCH of money to develop a new version.

Even then, many if not most former customers wont be back. I'm not putting my members through another software switch plus the expense and work of doing so.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  7. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    I'd be willing to give it a try if it were competitive, mobile-friendly out of the box and feature rich...

8. Joeychgo

+3,030
    You haven't converted all your sites, spent thousands on software and custom addons, etc....

9. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    Very true. What have you spent so much on? Just curious...

10. Joeychgo

+3,030
    Various customizations, the software itself, stuff like that...

11. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,944
    Out of curiosity, how much do you think a company would have to spend to develop an all new, high quality, fully scalable forum software with all the bells and whistles needed to make it competitive against the current state of the art forum software?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  12. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+306
    There is only one strategy plan for IB if they want, not only to go ahead again, but to drop a part of their competitors out of field.
    To release vB3 and vB4 for free while working in a new version.

Is there anybody who will not choose vB instead of phpBB, myBB, SFM etc? I believe nobody. This way they can build a stable userbase and then release a commercial version.

The big mistake that IB did is that when they released vB4 they change the license. They replaced the annually subscription with version subscription. Don't know how many members they had, but for 10.000 clients they lost $850.000 X 7 years = almost 6 million dollars. As an enduser of cours I was happy for this change. For 7 years I didn't paid them a single cent. Only from me they lost $595.

13. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    That's a good question. It would be expensive if you had it done by people here in the U.S. If you outsourced it to, say, the Philippines - it wouldn't cost much...

14. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    Free. That's interesting. vB3 would be the best free software, hands down. vB4 as well - but I think it's too good to be free. Maybe sell it for $25.00 per license, per year. That would at least bring them back in the game. From there, work on vB6. I don't think it's a bad idea but they probably wouldn't go for it.

15. The Sandman

+4,944
    All the really good forum software has come from European and American developers though.

16. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    If that's the case then you just need a good American and/or European team to lead the direction of the programmers...

17. The Sandman

+4,944
    That's my thought - so how many developers for how long? How much would they get paid on average? What kind of support personnel and equipment would they need? Just trying to get a rough idea of the potential cost.

Are there even any coders out there looking for work with the experience and skills needed to qualify for such a product? Or would they have to figure out forums as they go?

18. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+306
    Selling at low price is like admiting that:
    • Your product is low quality
    • You're one step before bankruptcy
    Finally they don't need the money right now. If someone is clever there, and if they really want to go ahead again, they'll get the risk to do it.

19. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+136
    I'm really not sure of all the specifics... I'd love to create my own forum software and I have the resources available to make it happen but it wouldn't make sense (for me) when there are already great options out there. If I were vBulletin, however, that would be a different story...

Well, they really don't need vB3 AND vB4 then. they should just stick to one. My opinion, anyway...

20. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+306
    They don't really need developers (coders). Just a small team of designers to make vB4 with default responsive style. This will be the first step ahead, but it will be really long step. vB4 is mature enought to be trust from big boards Admins. Cost not more than $3.000 for a very nice Bootstrap template.

After making (if) this first step they can step by step add fancy features on it. eg selecting text for quotes, a convertation system to replace the old dated PM system. PDO system is fine. Need to replace their procedural (in most cases) code with MVC and so on.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted