VBulletin 5 vs comparable software

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by torquewrench, Nov 3, 2015.

1. torquewrench

torquewrench Aspirant

+13
    I've been researching forum software for weeks, and after finally settling on VBulletin 5 after seeing a layout I really liked on a Honda Acccord forum, access to the site today was crashed by a hacker...

A few questions:

Is the software vulnerable because of its popularity?

Is there a comparable software that's just as reliable and user-friendly? (I guess reliable is subjective at this point)

Is most forum software "you get what you pay for?"

My web experience deals mostly with Wordpress, so I was hoping the dashboard functionality of whatever I go with would be just as easy to use. I also found VBulletin pricing to be reasonable.

I'm really glad I found this forum as questions in my Wordpress days were answered by pouring over hundreds of webpages. I hope to be able to reciprocate in the future when I earn my cap and gown!

Tommy

2. torquewrench

torquewrench Aspirant

+13

3. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Based on that, I still say XenForo, https://xenforo.com/

It's popular, there is a plethora of mods and styles available, it's affordable, and it is actively developed, and the coding standards are quite high.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Sherrie

Sherrie Fan

+555
    Well really vBulletin 5 didn't tick any of those boxes so things can only get better. My personal recommendation would be woltlab/burning board but this forum for instance uses xenforo.

5. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
  6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    In that case, I'd suggest XenForo as the first choice.
    Their default gallery is REALLY a good one and well thought out (Chris D originally had it as an add-on and the Xenforo developers/owners got doubly smart - they grabbed the rights to it and hired the developer of it - that being Chris). It supports video by embedding or uploading directly (Admin control over this) - and as I said, it's now a 1st party add-on (XenForo supported). There are several popular chats. I like Siropu's myself, but there are a few others out and DragonByte is bringing their vBulletin version over I believe.

My next choice would be WBB (only have had exposure to the BETA's of the forum script) but they get good reviews from the people that use it.

After that would be IPS 4.x series - although the gallery is seriously lacking compared to XenForo's. The editor in IPS is also "quirky" in some aspects and your users will have to get used to a different way of interacting with it compared to XenForo or WBB. It also will not allow you to create media BBCodes like XenForo will - which means if you want custom media BBCodes you will either need to know how to write the add-on to do it or hire someone.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. torquewrench

torquewrench Aspirant

+13
    Thanks so much! I just got notification of these replies.

I noticed there are a lot more themes with Xenforo. I'll probably dig a little deeper for sites that use Xenforo(I see this one does, obviously). I can't remember which IP forum I read about, but it had horrible reviews. I guess I just want something with a clean look that won't look too busy because I want a blog feature, too.

I'm guessing VBulletin won't be my wine of choice. That's a bummer because I saw some really cool sites running it. Here's to some Xenforo research!

8. torquewrench

torquewrench Aspirant

+13
    Oh and I haven't read anything on Vanilla, but the pricing was pretty rich! I'm guessing nobody uses it? Hahaha

9. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    Free alternatives should satisfy this requirement.
    Primarily NodeBB and Discourse but also Flarum in the future.
    (I forget to add Vanilla)

Though I have to warn you about Andorid compatibility issue for Discourse.
    I tested Discourse before and its first load is quite slow, though super fast for subsequent loading.

10. torquewrench

torquewrench Aspirant

+13
    I thought vanilla charged a fortune if I remember correctly?

11. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    Their developers overestimate the value of their product.
    The source files are free, like WordPress.
    You only pay when you host with them (managed forum hosting).

12. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    First site in my sig is running IPS 4.1.2
    The other two are running XenForo (one with the gallery and downloads - the motorcycle one, the other with just downloads) with some add-ons and using some of Audentio's styles.

I know they were rather expensive when I looked at them, and I wasn't honestly that impressed with it.

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,488
    I'm a little surprised no one has jumped on that statement. vBulletin 5 is not popular at all and there's a ton of content here that will explain why. vBulletin 3 and 4 on the other hand were extreamly popular but both are now considered EOL in terms of further development.

14. torquewrench

torquewrench Aspirant

+13
    I guess my experience is different. Every form I've ever visited up until now was VBulletin. Those I paid attention to, anyway. I'm probably going to use Xenforo. I really like the functionality and add ons. Lots of themes, too.

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,488
    I could be wrong but I would imagine that's because most of them were running on vB3 or vB4. There are still more forums running on those two versions than any other forum software. However there are very few established forums running on vBulletin 5, it simply isn't robust enough.

If you are leaning towards Xenforo which is in my view a good choice you might also want to check out WoltLab Burning Board which also recommended by a lot of forum owners.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. torquewrench

torquewrench Aspirant

+13
    I definitely appreciate that. I'll take a look at sites that currently run WoltLab. Xenforo had some sites that I really liked, and the options were pretty favorable. Thanks!!

17. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    Nobody mentioned this yet but choosing Xenforo will subject yourself to significant extra $ for the add ons (depending on how many you need them). Always remember to check the TOS because some of them are atrocious.

18. Sherrie

Sherrie Fan

+555
    That was one of my reasons for choosing Burning Board and that Burning Board had more in the core. Its been ages since I compared both demos when I was making my decision so I can't remember all the fine points.

With Xenforo you have the benefit of a larger community and I believe more plugins. The only thing from this forum that I wish I could have on my forum is the post ratings.

Woltlab have a cheaper license fee but they do charge for upgrades which are annual or longer, they do not charge renewal fees or for forum support. They have an opensource frame work that is currently free. From there you can buy their forum, blog, calendar, gallery and filebase. You can install any or all you just need the framework. Next year they will be bringing out a new framework that has a CMS as part of it which will then make it pretty complete.

Burning board have a decent amount of plugins that continue to grow, which are mostly free or cheap. The only downside to burning board in my mind is that most of the community is German but in order for their English community to grow it needs us to give it a try.

Here's a couple of old threads that discuss both in comparison:

https://theadminzone.com/threads/burning-board-vs-xenforo-moving-from-vb3-8-confused.135942/

https://theadminzone.com/threads/should-i-choose-burning-board-or-xenforo.108538/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  19. VICE

VICE tool

+695
  20. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Ich verstehe nicht, Deutsch, ├╝bersetzen Sie bitte.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.