VBulletin 5 Server Load

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Pigoo, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+17
    My website is currently running vBulletin 4.2.5...and in my research for what software package to upgrade to (vBulletin 5, Xenforo 2, IPS, etc.)...a friend has kindly given me Admin access to his newly created vBulletin 5 website.

I've been told that one of the downsides of vBulletin 5 is that it's not as well written/coded as previous versions of vBulletin...and not as efficiently written as competing products.

One of the statistics that immediately jumped out at me when I was on the friends vBulletin 5 website was the server load.

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 10.54.36 AM.png

The site basically has no traffic on it...yet the server load is 4.80, 4.09, 4.19.

Could anyone offer an opinion on why a website with so few current visitors has such a high server load?

Is it due to:

- The specs of the server (shared server vs. VPS vs. dedicated) as well as the CPU & RAM spec's?
    - The fact that vBulletin 5 is a resource hog?
    - Some of both?

Thanks

2. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+229
    Vbulletin 5 is considered the world's leading forum software, so it comes with a lot of features other forumwares do not have, which also implies that there is likely a significant increase in server load going from Vbulletin 4 or other forumwares to Vbulletin 5. Its the industry standard though, you cant go wrong with the industry leader, theres nothing to worry about.
    :tup:

3. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+69
    I have a test site running MyBB that is nothing more than a test site with zero members or post and its server load says it is 4.24. So I guess I question the level. I know its not vB, but I think its a subjective number.

4. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,189
    If its a shared server (as seems the case) then load figures are meaningless to you, as you have no idea what else is running on it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.