vBulletin 5 Connect is Most Open and Transparent

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by vijayninel, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Wolfie

Wolfie Common Sense Guru

+35
    When a new major release is made (3.0, 3.1, etc), it's not uncommon for the .1 and .2 releases to come out within a short period of time, but after that, the .3 (and any others) tend to take some time. The .1 and .2 releases tend to cover any bugs that weren't caught during a somewhat extensive beta testing stage, while releases after that tend to catch any lingering bugs that had yet to rear their heads or happened to be the result of other bugs fixed.

IP.Board 3.4.0 was released at the end up November and 3.4.1 was released roughly two weeks later. Version 3.4.2 came out about a month and a half after that (end of January) and 3.4.3 a month after that. These aren't timed released, just a matter of determining if and when it is necessary to do a release. They are reporting bug fixes as being part of 3.4.4, but from past experience, it's no guarantee that there will be a 3.4.4 release. They weigh out the importance of doing so and decide from that.

The main criteria they follow when doing a release is very simple. "When It's Ready™" No sooner than that. They won't say "we'll release this a month from now" or "we'll release an update every month" because the next release may be so minor that there's no point to it. Or could be it takes longer than a month for it to be ready.

Either way, from the sounds of it, the handling of vB5 could stand to learn a few things. When IPB3 Final came out, I don't believe there were anywhere near as many bugs as vB5 'gold' has. When IPS felt it was stable enough to use, they installed it on their community. Bugs were found and those bugs were fixed. After that, it was beta tested for more testing (test out things that couldn't be tested on the live community), more bugs found and fixed. Then released to the clients. This was, of course, after a few beta versions had been developed and used. I forget how many exactly, but less than 10 betas (like 5 or 6 I think), no where near as many as vB5.

So to answer your question, 'kind of.' Like I said before, the .1 and .2 releases usually come out in a relatively short period of time and usually .3 (and anything after) tend to take a longer period of time. The 3.4.x series happens to be a bit unusual and a peek at the news&announcements forum for releases will demonstrate that.

Ahhh skinsbydragonfly. It was because during that time period, there would be numerous skin changes would be made and it wasn't profitable for her with her business model. From 3.0 to 3.1, there were enough skin changes that 3.0 skins were all but incompatible. Going to 3.2, the skin was majorly overhauled and I think the number of changes started to drop some so that it wasn't as bad as before.

2. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Well every software has flaws, this cannot be helped, sometimes its also partly due to the programming language itself. Good software companies know how to work on those issues and reduce their negative impacts to minimum. No one is perfect, but some are closer to perfection while others are near the opposite pole.

3. Finance

Finance Participant

+3

Cool, that must be one of the 125 new features. So we only need to find the missing 124.

4. PWO

PWO Enthusiast

+5
    VBulletin, what has happened to you?

5. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    Internet Brands happened.

6. rusty105

rusty105 Habitué

+46
    We could say it was IBS :) But that acronym has already been taken by the medical field ( Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
    Although the output is roughly the same :)

7. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
  8. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    This... Quote of the day lol.

9. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    HILARIOUS!
    Correction on the thread title if I may please:
    vBulletin 5 Connect is Most Open and Transparent POS :)

10. Wolfie

Wolfie Common Sense Guru

+35
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Internet Brands Syndrome
    Irritable Brands Syndrome
    Internet Bowels Syndrome

Sounds interchangeable to me. :)

Only thing I don't like is that it looks too much like IPS or IPB.

11. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
    and this past QC?

12. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    At this time I do not consider vB5 at it's current state worthy of being released...I thought it would be this summer when they would release a more stable version.

Me and few others were a bit surprised about this early release of the software.

Obviously I wouldn't call it RC worthy... I am sure most can honestly say, they would not touch vB5 at this stage even with a 10ft pole until major issues are fixed.

Everyday that vB is keeping up vB5 on their site the way the website is, I think everyday the vB community site is losing members and of course customers and potential new buyers.

Again, the above is my personal opinion. Wish success, but this whole thing is a mess.

Staff has been great, devs, I suppose they are doing their job, QA I am not sure whats going on with them, lastly, management has been all over the map about vB5. At this point I somewhat feel bad for the poor guy Lawrence Cole. The **** he is taking over vB5 customers over the forums is crazy. Not his fault, at this point I will point my finger at whoever is on top of him.

vB5 makes vB4 look like a master piece hehe.

I do like vB5 sitebuilder, I think it would be nice to have such feature with vB4 CMS...it would make peoples lives easier.

But I keep on dreaming about that.

13. gfc

gfc Participant

+20
    Love it, change it or leave it. Lawrence obviously didnt leave and didnt chance it. So why pity him?

14. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Actually I think Lawrence deserves somewhat of credits. I mean, he started off with a notoriously rude attitude as revealed by vbtruth.com 2 years ago, but now hes calm and able to take criticism.

15. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15
    It's all part of their master plan to get us to upgrade. vBulletin 4 is looking mighty fine now that we've got the steaming pile of dog poo that constitutes vBulletin 5.

Next up, vBulletin 6 is going to be so awful that we'll compare to vB 5 and say "ah hell.. at least it isn't 6!"

16. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Looks like they've had another serious bug being exposed lol. The 'a' glitch, your images turn into the magical 'a' link that refers you to an empty blank page. Scott has been posting VB5's issues like crazy lately, I am afraid he will get banned soon. Poor dude, he actually cares more about VB than pretty much everyone of us here.

17. rusty105

rusty105 Habitué

+46
    Maybe they should hire him as their QC dept, as the one they have obviously is not doing their job!

18. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    I dunno about that, I bet the senior managers all want him gone for good. He talks too much, not the ideal type of staff IB wish to have. Instead, they love employees who keep chanting 'In IB we trust!'.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  19. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    2 Things-

1) You're calling it Gold, not IB

2) If you were a license holder using VB5 on a live site you'd be hoping for releases as soon as possible- If you're not using the software you have zero standing to complain about too frequent updates. :hopeless:

20. vijayninel

vijayninel Ave atque vale

+100
    I have to agree with Joe. Internet Brands or vBulletin Solutions have never said that this is a gold release. They have only said that its out of beta. They have refused to answer our repeated direct queries on whether this can be considered a Release candidate or Gold.

However In this announcement Wayne Luke had said :

So is this unbeta the final release or do we still have to wait for the final release? I would really like to know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.