vBulletin 5 Connect: is it worth it?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Ah, I didn't realise it was sarcasm.

Also, love me some Times New Roman.

IcEWoLF

Habitué
vBulletin 5 is worth something...if you really didn’t care about your community.

Al.Ch

Aspirant
I totally agree with others.

I have 4 large forums, 2 on woltlab , 1 xenforo and one vb3.

XenForo and Woltlab are really good.

However, I have to say WoltLab is even better than XenForo but since its just some years that they opened up to global market ( from German market) they are not so famous.

They are a huge player since early 2000s in Germany.

I think they worth the try:
Https://woltlab.com

esquire

Habitué
I think everything mentioned can work just fine, including vBulletin 5 - with hesitation. If you're expecting your community to grow, you should consider the issues which may arise later from your decision.

This prompted me to see what vbulletin licenses I had (my forum moved to vBulletin ~ 2001 and used it many years) and apparently still have a good investment in several unused vb 4 publisher licenses, mobile suite, brand free, etc. I looked to see who upgraded to v5 but can't find many examples, virtually all still on vB 4 at this late date. Even the vB site showcase is barren. I might have experimented had the upgrade price been encouraging. But for reasons only known to them, they offer a very low customer loyalty upgrade discount that think it may have acted as a disincentive to upgrade and invest in developing plugins, collaboration with others and encouraged abandonment.

I did find one site called disaster.com (and ironically through TAZ.) What concerned me back in the day apparently still might be an issue at vBulletin.com too. Paul M and BirdOPrey5 are far more familiar with the software than I am and perhaps can explain whether the lags are still present.

Decide upon the feature set you need. Then embark on looking at what will work for you.

Last edited:

R0binHood

Habitué
However, I have to say WoltLab is even better than XenForo but since its just some years that they opened up to global market ( from German market) they are not so famous.

What do you prefer about it?

AdamD

Devotee
Lord, VB5 is such a POS, I went to that disaster.com site, as I do like all things weather, especially severe
Tried two different threads in the gen discussion area and got
"An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed."
Thought it might be a permission issue, but then one of the threads loaded after a few refreshes.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
Disaster.com is using VB 5.1.8. The current version is 5.4.3. I'd estimate 5.1.8 is at least 2 years old, maybe older and far inferior to current versions.