vBulletin 4 Editor and Other SSL Related Problems

Fillip H.

Developer
Okay, let me see... I don't use vBSEO or DBSEO. I did switch the Forum URL in two places in the vB Options area.
Two? Do you mean the home URL and forum URL?

Okay, so you think I should upgrade my live vB4 forums to 4.2.5? I thought it was frowned upon for live installations...

I'm definitely considering upgrading my installations to 4.2.5 - I just thought the whole "beta" thing was something you should stay away from in the event you needed company support...
DBTech has been upgraded and we run PHP 7.0 (soon to be 7.1, it's in testing just now). No issues whatsoever and we're very grateful for the work Paul has done on compatibility updates :)

To be honest, and Paul can correct me if I'm wrong, I believe these releases are flagged as Beta because IB's QA is busy on vB5 and as such they don't certify these older releases.

Fillip

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
Two? Do you mean the home URL and forum URL?

DBTech has been upgraded and we run PHP 7.0 (soon to be 7.1, it's in testing just now). No issues whatsoever and we're very grateful for the work Paul has done on compatibility updates :)

To be honest, and Paul can correct me if I'm wrong, I believe these releases are flagged as Beta because IB's QA is busy on vB5 and as such they don't certify these older releases.

Fillip
Yes, the home URL and forum URL. I need to be careful when upgrading PHP and mySQL because I'm also running a bunch of vB3 forums as well as some other types...

Fillip H.

Developer
Yes, the home URL and forum URL. I need to be careful when upgrading PHP and mySQL because I'm also running a bunch of vB3 forums as well as some other types...
If you run cPanel on your website, you can upgrade to EasyApache 4 which will allow you to set individual PHP versions for each of your sites.

One of the webservers our company owns has about 15-20 sites on it, from very small sites up to a forum with over a million posts. The server-wide default is 5.6, but two sites have switched to 7.1 (a XF forum and a vB4 forum recently upgraded to 4.2.5).

Fillip

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
If you run cPanel on your website, you can upgrade to EasyApache 4 which will allow you to set individual PHP versions for each of your sites.

One of the webservers our company owns has about 15-20 sites on it, from very small sites up to a forum with over a million posts. The server-wide default is 5.6, but two sites have switched to 7.1 (a XF forum and a vB4 forum recently upgraded to 4.2.5).

Fillip
Interesting... I will definitely keep that in mind. I didn't know that functionality was available - different versions for different sites. Does it work the same for MySQL by any chance?

Fillip H.

Developer
Interesting... I will definitely keep that in mind. I didn't know that functionality was available - different versions for different sites. Does it work the same for MySQL by any chance?
No, MySQL is server-wide. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with newer versions of MySQL unless the code was written by an individual of questionable coding prowess :p

Fillip

Danielx64

Developer
Just throwing this out there, depending on your server configuration you can also have different php versions for each folder.

This is useful for those time where you may have one part of a site that won't work on a newer version of php but the rest will.

Paul M

Super Moderator
DBTech has been upgraded and we run PHP 7.0 (soon to be 7.1, it's in testing just now).
There are some quirks in 7.1 that cause a few minor problems.
The ones I know about are fixed in 3.8.11/4.2.5 Beta 2 (due out towards the end of January).

That's one of the reasons.

The current 4.2.5/3.8.11 Beta versions are stable enough to use, and IB will not refuse to provide support if you are running them.
The IB Forumrunner site runs 3.8.11, and vbulletin.org currently runs 3.8.10 (due to be upgraded to 3.8.11 in the first half of 2017).

The same applies to the 4.2.4/3.8.10 Release Candidate versions. They will, in fact, become final releases in the same first half of 2017.

Fillip H.

Developer
There are some quirks in 7.1 that cause a few minor problems.
The ones I know about are fixed in 3.8.11/4.2.5 Beta 2 (due out towards the end of January).
Interesting, they can't be in widely used features then as the test site that's been upgraded has reported no issues and there's no PHP errors or warnings in the error logs just now. Still, I appreciate the information :)

I'll hold off on upgrading DBTech until B2 is out. Thanks!

Fillip

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
Just an FYI - I resolved all my vB4 SSL issues by switching from Flexible to Full under the Crypto options at CloudFlare...