vBulletin 4.2.5 has been released...

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Sal Collaziano, May 10, 2017.

1. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    Good morning all you sick forum freaks... I just wanted to pop in and mention that the latest version of vBulletin 4 is ready for live environments. I do believe it's technically been ready for awhile - but now it's official - and I imagine - supported... Since there was no official announcement other than in the Admin CP - I imagine it's only PHP compatibility stuff that's changed. Am I right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    Yeah that was mentioned here:

3. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,219
    I did the technical work to release them this morning, and the forum annoucements this evening (UK time).

There has not been any ACP News (yet), I think you must have seen the one for 4.2.4

News and e-mail are generally done a few days after initial release.

4. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212

There is a newer version of vBulletin available to download
    Latest version available: 4.2.5
    . You are currently running vBulletin version 4.2.4.

Click here to download vBulletin 4.2.5 from the Members' Area

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,219
    Oh, right, that. I thought you meant a news item.
    (You think you will only see that message if your licence is vB4, not vB5).

6. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+32
    Downloaded, now to get the guts to do the upgrade, when I did the 4.2.3 upgrade I lost all my attachments due to an error in the upgrade script.

7. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    That happened to me with one of my forums as well...

8. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,219
    No you didnt, there was no error in any upgrade scripts.

9. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+32
    Would you recommend doing a demo upgrade first? It will be 4.2.3 to 4.2.5.

10. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    He probably meant an error DURING the upgrade...

11. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,219
    You should have a test site, and you should always upgrade that first.

12. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+32
    No thinking back Paul is right, the upgrade was a success, there was a scheduled post upgrade task that caused the havoc.

Will do upgrade my dev version first, it is a good time to get my dev version more up to date with current data.

13. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,219
    I dont know, but thats how misinformation and rumours start.

There is not, and never was, any error in the upgrade process at all.
    In fact, a step was added to 4.2.3 (and 4.2.4) to help with the original issue.

As to the issue itself, that was down to broken database records dataing from many years ago (early vB3 at a guess).
    There was actually a bug in older vB versions that meant oprhaned attachment records were not being deleted, that issue was fixed in 4.2.3.

However, the problem was that those very old attachment records were broken in such a way that they appeared to be orphans.
    Therefore the fixed code [correctly] removed them. The step was added to fix those old broken records so they would not be removed.

14. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+32
    That sounds about right, only I upgraded from 3.8.9 to 4.2.3, and still experienced it, but we way off topic now.

15. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,241
    Thanks Paul for the effort on this. I have a client who is looking forward to my moving them to PHP 7.x

16. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+58
    What's the value from upgrading from 4.2.3?

17. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    VB 4.2.3 was designed to work on PHP 5.5.x, max. It happens to work OK on 5.6.x but nothing above that.

VB 4.2.5 requires a minimum PHP version of PHP 5.6.x but also works on PHP 7.0.x and 7.1.x. Since PHP 7 is a major upgrade over PHP 5 (so major they skipped 6 altogether to make the point clearer) PHP 7 support will allow VB 4.x to (hopefully) keep running several more years before hosts start upgrading beyond its maximum PHP version.

Higher PHP versions are generally faster and safer than lower versions. PHP 7 is significantly faster than PHP 5.

18. EasyEazy

EasyEazy Participant

+24
    In terms of any templates bought say for 4.2.3 would there be an issue in upgrading to 4.2.5 do you think?

19. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    They'll all be fine. No template changes I'm aware of since 4.2.3, if there are any they are super minor.

20. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,219
    There are at least a couple of template changes, but as BOP says, pretty minor, they will likely auto merge (assuming you had customised them at all).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.