vBSEO discussions

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by Gibby, Dec 20, 2007.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    LMAO. There is only one admin that fits that description. I figured it'd be fairly obvious.

What kind of logic am I missing? I already stated it's not the end all to SEO for a forum. I understand SEO very well when it comes to vBulletin.

and you won't either. There is no A + B = C results in SEO. You can't benchmark it. Stop looking for it. Just give up.

Reliable study? There is no such thing in SEO. For or against it it doesn't matter. Each site is unique in how Google ranks it and there is no way a benchmark for site A can be verified against benchmark on site B.

There are basic SEO principles that everyone should do to a forum to achieve optimal SEO to make the search engines life easier to index your pages and determine which pages should be ranked were. VBSEO takes care of the most important part of optimizing the urls within VBSEO so that search engines have the easiest path to get to the actual url you want indexed, the showthread.php page. Only one url should be indexed per thread page. You shouldn't even present any other urls for the search engine to waste it's time on. Robots.txt does not solve this problem because you can not prevent people from linking to your site with non optimal urls with robots.txt. Therefore you get wasted linkbacks if you let people use showthread.php?p=xxxx urls to linkback to your site because it is not the url you want to have indexed. That's the biggest part of VBSEO and why I bought it. It reads me of the headache of having these urls present and eliminates completely any doubt that those urls could be holding you back leaving you to concentrate on other areas.

Basically it leaves no stone unturned.

I have no financial interest involved. I've been using VBSEO since 2005. I can't provide a benchmark for SEO anymore than anyone else. It's impossible. You can use common sense. You can put yourself in the shoes of the search engine and ask yourself what would make crawling and organizing a site more efficient. You can leave no stone unturned when it comes to taking care of every problem with vBulletin. Every duplication so that only one url exists for every thread page removing any doubt whatsoever that it would cause you any kind of problems with ranking as high as you possibly can.

There is no evidence! What you want doesn't exist. If I showed you one site ranking well with VBSEO you'd just point to another one that had good rankings and use that as an excuse VBSEO isn't needed. There is no evidence. There is common sense though.

By all means keep looking for that third. I could careless. I'm just tired of seeing people ask for proof on something that can not possibly be proved.

I can show you what I have been able to accomplish with the aide of VBSEO. 2,000 uniques a day from Google. I have a lot of competition too. My site has less than 500,000 posts and I out rank sites that have existed since the late 90's running vBulletin with millions of posts.

2. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,510
    I want TAZ to be a place where people can discuss the pros and cons of vBSEO without resorting to ridiculous arguments and personal attacks.

Pros:
    A very large array of options to adjust SEO
    Continual development and support

Cons:
    Questionable marketing tactics by certain vBSEO staff members and affiliates
    Restrictions on who can use vBSEO based on forum content
    Script encoding

Arguable points:
    Is SEO necessary for vBulletin forums?
    If so, what are the effective ways of implementing it?
    Is vBSEO (or any paid solution) beneficial in implementing it?
    How can we measure the effectiveness of any SEO manipulation?

I encourage any interested parties to discuss and/or debate these questions, or other reasonable issues as regards to this topic. But please do so without resorting to personal attacks or fallacious arguments.

For the record, the main reason that TAZ does not use vBSEO is because we already have very good rankings, and I don't want to risk making any changes to what is already successful. If I was starting TAZ over from scratch, I would strongly consider using vBSEO.

3. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    As a note, at least according to their site, vbSEO isn't using any kind of encoding in their newest version.

4. Jyles

Jyles Enthusiast

+0
    ah thanks bama and sandman :D your posts were very helpful :). yall basically answered my questions.

5. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    One more thing about vBSEO.
    It has a Linkbacks/Trackbacks/Pingbacks feature.
    It also automatically gets the title of the page of a url in a certain post.

6. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    Of doubtful utility.

You can have this feature for free with Title Replace: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=155909

Indeed, any useful feature of vBSEO is available in a few free add-ons from vbulletin.org.

7. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    Umm, doubtful to you maybe, but it has been getting my forum more visitors.

8. cbp

cbp Habitué

+21
    There is absolutly nothing that vBSEO does will have anything to do with a site getting sitelinks!

9. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    Prove it. Prove that adding VBSEO did not help his link consensus and make it easier and more efficient for Google to spider his pages.

You can't. Just like no one can prove it works you can't prove VBSEO didn't help him with that. So stop this back and forth it can't do this or it can't do that when you have no idea what Google took into account for those site links.

10. cbp

cbp Habitué

+21
    How about you proving it did help then?

11. djbaxter

+463
  12. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    I never said it did. You are the one that stated it did not have anything to do with VBSEO.

Obviously you are the SEO expert here so please enlighten everyone exactly what it takes to get sitelinks since you obviously know what it takes because you state VBSEO doesn't do anything that will help you.

13. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
  14. djbaxter

+463
    Okay. And?

I don't use vBSEO or URL rewriting at Psychlinks. Neither does TAZ. You'll see the same kind of rapid Google indexing for sites without mod_rewrite or vBSEO.

What should that tell you?

1. Google is efficient at indexing vBulletin forums.
    2. It has nothing to do with rewriting URLs.
    3. It has nothing to do with vBSEO.

15. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    Fine then.
    You know that Digital Point is mroe popular and is indexed more often that FHQ.
    Then why is it that the results to FHQ appeared within 6-7 minutes, and Digital Point appeared today morning after 10.30 am [IST]?

16. djbaxter

+463
    If you want to believe that vBSEO or mod_rewrite is responsible, knock yourself out. The evidence says otherwise but it's your choice.

17. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    *notes that the name isn't in the URL, which basically shows that keywords in the content are important and those in the URL don't matter - at least in this case*

Maybe Google happened to be indexing your site at that time, and wasn't doing so for Digital Point until later. It isn't like Google has an infinite amount of spiders (even if it may seem so). Maybe the folks at that forum went into the webmaster tools area of Google and turned their crawl rate down for some reason. There are lots of explanations that don't involve special software.

I seriously don't think there is some logic in the engine or the people that goes like: "Wow! This site has vbSEO so they *must* be awesomely cool. I must index the site every five minutes!"

18. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    Well, as if I care anymore, I don't even have vB.
    Well, I'll just forget it, and go and Watch Om Shanti Om.

19. djbaxter

+463
    :confused:

How can you be running vBSEO if you don't have vBulletin?

20. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    When did I say, I use vBulletin?
    If you check out my profile, it says I use phpBB.
    EDIT- How is Zoints SEO?
    I noticed TAZ uses that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.