vB5 Help Me Thread

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by VICE, Dec 20, 2014.

1. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    If I don't remove them, I can't get rid of these bugs:

1.png
    They appeared in mobile mode.

2. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Well you did say you looked... But apparently you didn't look in the most logical place for it, the manual? Perhaps saying you looked was disingenuous?

3. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,541
    Let's not devolve into petty squabbles, guys. Get some Christmas spirit :p

4. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,958
    I must admit, I don't know how I missed "CMS". Maybe I was looking for the word "article"? :rolleyes:

Scott

5. s.molinari

+1,958
    It is all in fun for me. Merry Christmas! :D

Scott

6. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    So, no more help?
    I don't have the luxury of 30 days free support tickets.

7. s.molinari

+1,958
    You'll most likely get the standard support answer, which is.... "Start a Jira in the Bug Tracker or vote on a Jira, should the problem already exist as a Jira issue." In other words, the answer to your question is, nope. No more help. Or pay for support

Now, if vB5 were to be really popular and fun to use and performant and had a big customer community, with lots of knowledgeable people about its idiosyncrasies, you might get an answer from them.

But, that isn't the case, so, still....nope.

Scott

8. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    So you're saying it's still not the right time to use vB5?

Anyway,
    There was a new security fix for vB5.
    Didn't realize it until I look at my Inbox.

9. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    In case you didn't get it, there never been a good time to use VB5. And I would (and maybe others) hope that the topic started by AdamAdam would be a good example of why VB5 sucks

10. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    You should post the question in the VB5 Support Forum, I know we're putting extra emphasis to fix responsive design issues in the upcoming versions. I dis see you asked about it, but it wasn't in the support forum, so answers will be slow, if ever.

I have 3 clients with VB5 websites with over 2 million posts each where VB5 runs awesome, faster than XenForo even... Yes it is high end hardware but it works. Oh and before you ask, I can't release the URLs of any of them, sorry. But you should believe me and ask me questions like its true.

11. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    3 clients eh? Ground breaking numbers there, is that the total number of vb5 forums which are running with 2+ million posts? :p
    What really counts, imo, is how many users are on at peak times, rather than post count
    You could have a 15 year old forum with 2 million posts, which is a small number, given the age of the forum.

12. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    Will do.

Shouldn't it easy to find them just by using specific phrase within vB5?

13. DemOnstar

DemOnstar 50 years in the making

+762
    I would like to see 1 or 2 sites that are using the vB 5 article system.
    I would like to see a list of the features that (out of 125+) shows how many have been delivered.

Any goers?

14. s.molinari

+1,958
    Can you share links to these sites?

Scott

15. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    No I won't share the links - you should just believe me - oh and one has over 1000 concurrent users and another has 2500 concurrent users - logged in members mind you - it isn't even open to guests.

16. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    What kind of hardware is running these set ups?

17. s.molinari

+1,958
    Sorry, but I can't believe you. You know, the thing with your own eyes bit.

Scott

18. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    That and what sort of software (apache, litespeed etc) are we looking at? Is stuff like opcache, HHVM being used? And are there tricks like having the database on a different server being used?

19. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Well you certainly seem to believe Adam when he won't release the URL to his site either, why the double standard?

20. s.molinari

+1,958
    Because I've seen about 10 other examples of vB5 puking under pressures of a big site and like zero examples of a successful busy big site. I've seen reviews of the underlying code that say it is crap. I've seen it needs 100+ queries to render a single web page myself. I've seen vB.com drag its feet since day one and it is still slow.

It's no double standard. It's more like plain common sense.:D

Scott

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.