VB, yes? no? depends? Need advice

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by botlrok8, Mar 15, 2019.

1. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+24
    I am busy with a test conversion from VB4 to IPS and I can tell you IPS is lightyears ahead, please do not even consider VB!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. klaush

klaush Neophyte

+1
    We started today to go from vbulletin 3.x to XF 2.1. I was dreaming years of getting a good new version for vbulletin. So we stayed even more than 13 years with vbulletin which was for many years the best forum software you could use. To hold on longer we even create the 3.x version whith much money and work responsive.

With version 4.x vbulletin started to die. And from 5.x vbulletin is dead!

This is sad, very sad!

3. Kaelon

Kaelon Enthusiast

+68
    Both Xenforo and Invision Power Boards are great modern commercial options for forum-based communities. WoltLab Suite is also very innovative, but designed with a prior-generation user experience standard with current-generation coding trends, so if backward UX compatibility is important for your community (rather than the cutting edge), they should also be in the mix.

Re: Xenforo vs. IPB, they are roughly equivalent and your choice between the two of them often comes down to a matter of preference. If you want an all-in-one commercial suite with comprehensive pricing and a very vibrant marketplace that is constantly pushing monetization and commercialization of your forum experience, IPB currently has the edge. If you want a strong developer network and the successor-generation to the vBulletin series, Xenforo is a no-brainer.

No one in their right mind should be considering vBulletin. Aside from the already stated dismal reviews on trust and accountability as a company, their track record for software development since sale to Internet Brands makes them unworthy of risking your community on their software.

No matter what people say, however, forums are indeed a niche user experience today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,136
    The early versions of vB4 were poor, but the latest version is fine (4.2.5).

That said, I would not advise anyone starting a new forum to use vBulletin.
    While both vB3 & vB4 are ok, and will happily run for years, the fact is they are old, and will never be updated.

As to vBulletin 5 - its just an awful abomination, and no one should use it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
  6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,060
    They tried to game the system years ago when they had staff members submitting positive vB5 reviews to Trustpilot. I recall one particular member of staff stating he had no recollection of submitting a review (yeah right) but in any case they were all removed because staff reviews are a breach of Trustpilot terms.

The latest reviews on Glassdoor are clearly written by the same individual i.e. three consecutive reviews starting...

EDIT Because people like a source: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/for...s-posted-on-trustpilot-really-posted-by-staff

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,717
    Pretty sure that is somethign Glassdoor puts in themselves based off of the boxes you choose... Look at the reviews for Facebook start with the same phrasing:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Facebook-Reviews-E40772.htm

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,060
    I agree, it does appear to be the case. I was focused on the most obvious similarity which does look template driven.

9. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,134
    And it's simply a coincidence they removed access this topic. Thanks to another bug VBulletin has, their search engine still shows the content of some posts you're not supposed to be able to see:

Deimos started a topic Were the reviews posted on Trustpilot, really posted by staff?
    in Licensed Customer Feedback
    Sun 24th Feb '13, 10:53am
    Reviews in question are on this page - http://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vbulletin.com
    Several have been flagged/reported by other forum members here, thus no longer show
    But I'm genuinely curious if those reviews were posted by the staff, or by someone using fake IDS?

Jan Klerks replied to Were the reviews posted on Trustpilot, really posted by staff?
    Sun 24th Feb '13, 11:36am
    I am surprised that there is a review in my name though.
    You posting was made on July 13. Since March 31st you're required to use your facebook profile to log into that Web site. (see here). Basically you're suggesting that someone hacked into your facebook account and posted a waving review.

HenrikHansen replied to Were the reviews posted on Trustpilot, really posted by staff?
    Sun 24th Feb '13, 11:40am
    He admits that Internet Brands has told IB employees to make vbulletin reviews at Trustpilot, even thoug it is strictly illegal and highly unethical. Of course, if Wayne says
    he has not posted himself,...

Wayne Luke replied to Were the reviews posted on Trustpilot, really posted by staff?
    Sun 24th Feb '13, 11:42am
    My name isn't really unique. Nor does Facebook restrict based on name. There are currently several hundred Wayne Luke profiles on Facebook. It does look like someone tried to impersonate me though.
    SEE LESS | GO TO POST

rmwebs commented on Guest's reply to Were the reviews posted on Trustpilot, really posted by staff?
    Sun 24th Feb '13, 12:37pm
    You can talk technicalities all you like, it makes no difference at all when it comes to both ethics and the rules of trustpilot. Plus which, half of them were posted by IB employees, not support staff.
    So really the fact of the matter is that employees posted false reviews, and then in addition, support staff posted reviews. Both sets are against the trustpilot rules. IB would have known that - it doesnt exactly take a rocket scientist to work out that a review site doesnt allow bias/fake reviews to be posted.

But according to them, negative reviews were simply "organized campaigns" against them. BTW, being able to see walled off topics in the search engine is a serious security bug.

10. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,717
    You've never had a vBulletin license? If you did you have access to Licensed Forum Support, where these threads are. Just curious, before you call it a bug.

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,134
    vblisenses.jpg

Regardless of license status, a topic a user doesn't have access to view, yet can see in search is a security (permissions) bug. Either that or a "feature" giving a site's staff a false sense that a topic is walled.

12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,717
    So if you do have a vbulletin license, why do you feel you shouldn't have access to that forum? I'm very confused. Are you logged out of the forum when searching? If so may I ask what search terms you used?

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,060
    That's sounds like a vB5 bug I raised a long time ago which as far as I'm aware has never been fixed. I think it likely you don't see it because you're logged in with a different set of permissions.

14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,134
    I was initially logged out, that was a mistake on my part, I assumed I was. Search term was trustpilot.

15. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,717
    When I do a search for "Trustpilot" (no quotes) on vBulletin.com forum while logged out I only get 5 results and they were all from pre-sales (a public forum.) I see no evidence of a bug revealing search results from forums someone doesn't have access to.

16. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,060
    I don't think logging out will necessarily replicate the issue which according to one tracker entry, VBV-17272 has been fixed anyway. I'm not sure that it has because I still occasionally see admin deleted (pink background) content.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,134
    Log in as a user, but one that doesn't have access. You'll see the bug then.

18. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,717
    Thanks. That seems more like a vBulletin.com permissions issue than a vBulletin bug.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.