VB, yes? no? depends? Need advice

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by botlrok8, Mar 15, 2019.

1. botlrok8

botlrok8 Neophyte

+9
    Wow, thanks to everyone for all the great information. What a great community there is here!

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,171
    Some customers might but some certainly don't.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/for...ns/4409758-pmchat-error?p=4409980#post4409980

3. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    While I agree with you in theory. it cannot be denied VB5 has had exceptional improvement over the years. WIth each release we continue to get lots of bug fixes (granted there should not have been so many bugs to fix at initial release) AND new features and they are keeping it well updated for latest technologies. So the reality is for years now VB5 continues to improve, more than I ever thought possible to be honest- there is no evidence they have become lazy once they got people's money.

Not a chat-box but basically an instant messenger system from within VB5.

Screenshot.... Note the red colored by the editor controls is my doing since I was testing something, it's usually a normal grey color.

[​IMG]

I will grant you it could have been worded better but that wasn't blowing that user off- that was explaining how to get further support on the issue. I added a note to make it abundantly clear though license holders should understand the policy.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    • Informative! Informative! x 4
    • List
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,171
    I've now got a better understanding of how vB support works for that product and I appreciate the clarification. However I have to say the post I linked was one of many I've seen with a similar response. In some cases that has lead to a migration away from vB5.

Do you not think it would be beneficial to state more clearly the options customers might have if they have not purchased a support package?

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,623
    The chat messenger is a nice one. I feel that both XF and IPS lack on this front. Especially XF which doesn't even have search or folders.

6. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+206
    niche would be about it...

and forums are already a niche, so its a niche in a niche, or what you might call a micro mini niche niche.

7. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    There’s nothing niche about want to easily ‘chat’ other member in your site or platform.

It’s a major issue with people wanting to migrate away from Facebook . The ‘chatty’ aspect, just isn’t there. Facebook messenger, What’sApp and discord are just too sticky and feature rich for a lot of members compared to what we can offer them.

8. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Considering the number of support tickets I work on from people w/o a ticket support plan I think the vast majority seem to understand the situation. Could it be advertised more? Sure, anything could be. But I've explained it to dozens and dozens over the years in the same words I used here.

9. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+206
    I mean VB is a niche, not the chat thing..

10. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,187
    Mark B:
    "It is however important to note that no further development work will take place on either vB3 or vB4 as they are now end of life. While we will still support them to the best level we can, no changes will ever be made to them."

VBulletin 5.x:
    - Small aftermarket
    - 1 star Trust Pilot Rating: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vbulletin.com
    -
    No Xenforo importer, and horrible import support overall.
    - Internet Brands:
    https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Internet-Brands-Reviews-E9344.htm
    https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Internet-Brands,-Inc/reviews
    - Scrubbing VBulletin negatives and most of the history from Wikipedia, has all the marks of IB/VB employees doing this. Thankfully Wikipedia keeps the edit history and you can see that it's been done.
    - Crapped on staff at its third-party support site, vbulletin.org

Xenforo:
    - Better overall framework.
    - Better styles editing framework.
    - Doesn't take years for major releases to become bug-free enough to be robust, and truly production ready.
    - Upgrading from previous major releases (such as VB 3 / VB 4 to VB 5) didn't kill once thriving communities.
    - Fewer outstanding bugs.
    - Much more active support community
    - Elasticsearch available.
    - Large aftermarket
    - Active development with a look towards the future, versus "I can definitely tell you that vBulletin 6 is not even on the drawing board right now."
    - VBulletin importer for versions 3/4/5
    - Great import options, and it's only going to get better now that they are focusing on big improvements to it such as the recent multi-threaded option for the CLI importer.
    - No XF current/former staff on TAZ trying to polish a product's horrible image
    - 4 star Trust Pilot Rating: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.xenforo.com

From what I've seen on the Internet, in general, is those giving VB 5 good ratings generally haven't managed other commercial forum platforms. Even for all my gripes about IPS's pricing and support, they have a great product and I'd consider them long before VB 5. It's gotten so selling a VB license is like trying to sell the plague. I've tried selling my licenses, and the response is like tumbleweeds in an old western movie.

In my opinion, what's most telling about VBulletin, is how many of their VB 3/VB 4 clients have avoided upgrading to VB 5. You don't see this happening with IPS or Xenforo.

One positive I have about VB 5 is its good for my business, migrating sites to IPS or Xenforo!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Fair enough, waiting for an answer from management on if this is true or not. I suspect he meant no updates other than emergency security updates but will see for sure.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  12. botlrok8

botlrok8 Neophyte

+9
    I really liked the PM system in vB. From what I am seeing here, neither XF or IPS has this feature, is this correct? I see that this board has a conversation (however I still am not sure how to use it) is this the same thing?

13. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    XF Conversations are virtually identical to vBulletin PMs. (But not VB Messenger from VB5.)

14. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,504
    Conversations are the same as PM's - they just use a different name :)

15. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Go with XF, it's a modern platform that isn't built on ancient code.

16. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,438
    In my opinion, no. I would recommend Xenforo

17. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Just to update- From Mark himself he was talking only about updates and non-security bug fixes and not about security updates. He wasn't saying security updates are ended.

From the support lead the policy remains that if a security exploit is found for VB3 / VB4 it will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Which (my own personal translation) means if it is a serious exploit that would make the software unsafe it will be patched BUT if it is something that can be mitigated by disabling a random feature, such as (just an example) profile customization, than likely you'll just be told to disable profile customization.

That said if in time something changes in browsers that breaks the editor or PayPal makes a sweeping breaking change, those things will not be updated so as Mark was originally trying to explain (and is different than I would have suggested 2 or 3 years ago) it should no longer be considered a viable option to start a new forum with VB3 or VB4. Only VB 5.x should be used if starting a new vBulletin forum. People on VB3 and VB4 don't have to move for now but you should have an upgrade path planned should the need arise whether that will be to VB 5.x or to another platform. The time to start planning is now if you haven't already.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  18. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,149
    vB3 & vB4 development stopped the day I left.

However, they said they would provide critical security updates if necessary (to the latest versions).
    As far as I know, thats what Mark means, and is still the case (and I think thats confirmed by BOP5 above).

I think at least one issue was fixed a few months after I departed (I dont recall the details now).

19. botlrok8

botlrok8 Neophyte

+9
    Thanks for the help everyone. We have settled on XF for the board and mrsiteguy for hosting. He has been responsive and nice to work with so far.

Once again thank you!:)

20. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+228
    VB5 is the world's leading forum software, that says enough and you cant go wrong with it.
    :tup:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.