VB, yes? no? depends? Need advice

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by botlrok8, Mar 15, 2019.

1. botlrok8

botlrok8 Neophyte

+9
    Where to begin? Please be patient with me as I have read through many threads here but I am still at a little bit of a loss. What started out as a simple question has led me all over the web and has finally landed me here on this forum. In the past, I have used vb and had been very happy with it. It has been about 5 or 6 years since I have used it but now find myself in a need to set up another forum. So, naturally I think to myself, I will just use my vb license and set up a new board, (thinking to self) now let's see what web hosts people are recommending for vB nowadays. Well, needless to say, that one little question has now led me to question whether or not to even use vB. What once looked like a thriving community now appears to have gone off the rails a little bit. Now I could be mistaken here so I am definitely open to correction on this, but the reading I have done so far makes it seem as vB has fallen behind and is continuing to lose ground for various reasons. So, that said and if true I am hoping to get a little guidance here.

Where we are currently. This will be a new forum, so no mods or users to import or databases to convert or anything like that. This is really a start from scratch type of thing. The reason I am posting in the vB forum is that this is what I used to use and figured you all would be best to tell me if it is time to use a different platform or whatnot. I know many will want to know how big the forum will be and what our plans are, but it really is difficult to say at the moment. Its one of those things that could stay small or grow, we just don't know. I would think that most forums nowadays are fairly scaleable but again I am not sure and open to correction on this. So my question is, is vB still viable? If not, what are you all recommending?

I would really appreciate hearing what you all have to say.

Thanks in advance!

2. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,503
    Do you remember what the last version of vB you used was?

I'd personally look toward XenForo or Invision - make a list of exactly what you need and what funds you're going to have available to put toward it as that will play a big part in which software will be the best for you.

3. botlrok8

botlrok8 Neophyte

+9

I used vb4 last time and upgraded to vb5 but did not have a lot of time playing with vb5 before shutting down.

4. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,503
    I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say vB5 is probably the last option you should consider.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,165
    I'd go with IPS or Xenforo. If you had an established forum on VB 3/4, it's not an emergency to move but I would consider it a high priority as it's woefully out of date, and living on borrowed time since it isn't likely there are going to be future updates for security.

I've seen VB 5 kill forums early in its release cycle. It is better now than it was, and "useable" but in my view, it's really not a prime product.

Admittedly I have two old VB 4.x forums, but they are very small, not of high importance to me, and though I want to move them to Xenforo I never seem to find the time. The forums I really care about are on Xenforo.

6. botlrok8

botlrok8 Neophyte

+9
    If we decide to go with Xenforo, do you have a recommendation for hosting? We are not looking for something too expensive since we are just starting out but would like a host that has fairly good compatibility with the forum. Any suggestions?

7. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+939
    Yes, it is time.

And IMO you can't go wrong with xF, it's developed and maintained by the original creators of vB. It's light-years ahead of the current crap vB product in every way, including support AND the robust add-on developer community vB used to boast but no longer does. vB is dead meat.
    I know you weren't asking me, but my personal experience has been what I did - have mysiteguymysiteguy set it up for you and host it. All of his pricing is out in the open on his website so there's no chance of scalping or "situational pricing" and he's fair, extremely competent and honest.

8. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,040
    Yeah, you should definitely not use vBulletin in this day and age. I mean, the older versions were good for their time, but technology has moved on, and Internet Brands has little interest in really doing anything well with vBulletin 5. You need something that's at least decently mobile responsive, and one that's definitely in active development.

XenForo, IPB, WoltLab, etc fit that criteria, whereas vBulletin does not.

As for my hosting recommendations, well it depends. If you're technical, something like Digitalocean or Linode could work. If you're less so, then MDD Hosting is superb, and I've found LiquidWeb, Site5, Siteground and a few others pretty good too. Just avoid obvious big names like EIG brands, since they tend not to have quality as their top priority.

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,104
    I agree with what has been said so far. vB4.0 is EOL and while vB5.0 is usable it's still home to hundreds of bugs. In addition if you need any serious levels of support you'll have to buy a support contract plus there are virtually no add-ons or themes available for it.

IPS and perhaps WaltLab are worth a look but I suspect Xenforo will be more familiar to you because it was created by members of the same team who wrote vB3.

10. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,111
    XF, IPS or Burning Board.

Any of those 3, while your community is new and growing, will run well on any cheap shared hosting. Keep costs down & upgrade later if/when needed.

As for who, I recommend Namecheap.

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,165
    I appreciate the mention.

Just an FYI, those prices are out of date. I have changes to packages I'm rolling out. Basically, making pricing tiers that have less disk space and max domain names for those starting out with lesser space needs but they still get the full resources of the server's CPU, ram and Mysql server. I don't meter CPU/RAM/Mysql - as much as your site needs it gets. I believe shared hosting and VPS hosting should always respond as fast as if you were on a dedicated host - if not, it's being oversold. I'll try to get those posted today (the package you're on doesn't change :), so no worries).

Yeah, the situational pricing where a hosting company loads down a server with often hundreds of accounts and then offers to move you to a server with fewer accounts (but still too many) for an upcharge. Its as if they **cough** intentionally **cough** set it up that way.

12. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+832
    Nope. XF or IPS, as has been mentioned.

Another viable option is Discourse depending on the type of community you're targeting.

13. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Go with XenForo. vB5 is crap.

14. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+64
    Nailed it, and in that order too.

Take your time and assess your needs for your community.

Both Xenforo and Invision just released new versions that are packed with some real cool features.

I manage 5 sites, 3 are vBulletin 5, one is Xenforo, and one is Invision. All three are doing well with their software platform, because the software meets the community's needs.

Take the time to think of what you want now, and in the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  15. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+659
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  16. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+199
    IPS or XENFORO are your best choices.

VB is long dead.

17. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Souce? Because official policy is updates for security for VB 3.x and 4.x will still be provided if deemed necessary. There has been no substantial security threats found or reported in sometime so no security updates have been needed. That's not the same as saying they won't happen.

I must disagree. I've been using XF 2.1 for a few months now and of course still use VB 5.x as well and there are things Xenforo that are lacking and vBulletin 5.x does better, there are things better in XF 2.1, and there are things that are about the same.

Examples:

VB 5.x wins
    RSS (Import) Feed - A number of options beyond what XF has
    Permissions System
    Blogs, Articles, Groups, Photo Galleries Included/available
    Long term pricing
    Front End / Site Builder system
    Cloud Hosting Option
    VB Messenger system (enhanced PM system)
    More layout/widget options

XF 2.1 wins
    Performance
    Reactions System (as opposed to basic VB5 likes system)
    Better looking (HTML) emails to users
    Built in upgrade system
    Many more 3rd party add-ons / styles (though not free like in the VB golden days)

About the same
    Responsive Style
    Adding custom pages

This isn't an extensive list by any means- just thinking off hand.

No true. Customers without a support plan can get the same support as those with ticket support the only difference is the support request should originate in the forums. If a tech cannot provide a solution in the forum (for example they need server access) they will invite the customer to create a support ticket free of charge.

Yes a support plan will get support quicker in most cases since you can provide all your info in the initial request for support, but it isn't as necessary as you make it.

• Informative! Informative! x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,049
    The long term pricing is an issue with vBulletin they take all your money upfront and do not have an insensitive to improve vBulletin. IPS and Xenforo need to keep improving because they need the renewal fees, without improvements you can say i do not renew.

19. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+832
    What is this? Is it a chat system?

20. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+64
    Perhaps in the eyes of mod developers, but it does have a niche.

I am using it just fine on 3 sites.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.