VB to XF Paid Subscription Conversion

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Sal Collaziano, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+102
    I agree. If XenForo wants to scoop up vBulletin forums as they (for whatever reason) outgrow vB4 with technically no other better option - it would be really wise to provide some type of solution for this situation...

2. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,645
    I don't think that it's something most forum owners think about until after they convert. I know I assumed they would simply import without any problems. It wasn't until afterwards when I started getting IPN errors that I realized there was an issue.

3. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+102
    Well, when you're earning $10,000.00 per day on subscriptions like I am, it's the first thing you think of.

:lol:

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,645
    If you're currently earning $10,000/day from subscriptions I wouldn't change forum software at all unless you can code the changes yourself... it's just too risky.

5. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+102
    I'll definitely keep that in mind if and when I make TEN DOLLARS per day on subscriptions...

6. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,372
    DigitalpointDigitalpoint in general what would I need to do if I was to write something that redirect paypal's IPN from one system to another? Not talking about any set forum script - just looking at the general flow that would need to take place.

7. Xon

Xon Enthusiast

+316
    Internal webserver redirects, makes everything easier :p

If you are able to make webserver changes; it is much easier to migrate URL schemes.

8. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Black Jacq! Give Me My Coins!! ♠

+4,382
    Just out of curiousity - what would you DigitalpointDigitalpoint charge to make the script you've create for your forum work on a new vB4 to XF forum?

I've a client who just told me that 40% of his forum's income comes from recurring Paypal subscriptions. We're in the process of migrating to Xenforo and it's obviously a concern; he doesn't want to loose income during or following the migration - even if XF is the superior script and an upgrade from vB4... Is it something that you could work out with the client? I'm sure he'd pay handsomely for the task. Is it something that you'd even be interested in?

J.

9. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+450
    The first thing you would need to do is convince PayPal engineers to change their IPN system to follow a redirect (they do not).

Honestly, more than they would be willing to pay. I have too much of my own projects I'm backed up on so I don't have the time to be doing other people's stuff.

10. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+102
    I suppose you could always maintain the account upgrades that have already been initiated MANUALLY where any time you receive a PayPal subscription payment - you could just visit the AdminCP and keep the user in the proper group until they cancel their subscription...

11. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,372
    You are joking right? What if you have 1K+ of accounts that you need to do that for?

12. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+102
    Wow! Good for you! :p Well, that's what your Filipino virtual assistant is for...

13. Slavik

Slavik Aspirant

+34
    In which case get in touch with a solid dev to make a bridge for you between the subscription systems :) On a macro level it isn't difficult, its just making sure the little nuances are taken care of.

14. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+102
    Good advice, but I was just kidding about making that figure on a daily basis. It takes me at least three days to earn that much. :p Just kidding again...

Yes, it can be done but I think it would be nice to have something developed and somewhat supported if possible - because I foresee a lot of vB to XF conversations over the next few years... Maybe it's just me but I really, really like XF...

15. Slavik

Slavik Aspirant

+34
    If some people want to band together and look to raise the funds to cover the initial development cost for a generic system usable by everyone then its something I can halfway help with as I have a couple of clients who have such a system in place, but everything is hardcoded and unique to them.

16. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+102
    Okay, that's good to know. Hopefully a few here will chime in on that.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted