VB to XF Paid Subscription Conversion

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Sal Collaziano, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+54
    Just throwing it out there but I'd be happy to convert a few, if not all, of my sites over to XF if I could bring over the user subscriptions. That's a hassle I definitely don't want to deal with. Does anyone else have the need for this? If so, perhaps we could get enough people together to make it worthwhile for somebody to create a solution...

2. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+3,987
    I'm not positive but I thought the issue with this was on PayPal's end, not on the forum software per se. Basically, you need to create a new subscription for each member with an existing subscription but only the member can do that on the PayPal side - you can't do it for them.

3. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+54
    That's probably correct. So maybe there's no hope. But I still wonder if there's some way to set things up so that the forum can automatically send an invoice to renew/recreate the subscription when its due...

4. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,320
    Why would you need to create a new subscription?

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,414
    Its possible to do. There are a few caveats.
    A developer should be able to import historic payment data.
    A developer should also be able to create a script to forward the IPN from vbulletins file to XenForo's payment_callback.php or write a new payment_callback.php in order to keep your running subscriptions active.

6. The Sandman

+3,987
    Because the old one stops working when you change forum software.

7. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+54
    Okay, this sounds interesting... And it doesn't sound all that complicated. I imagine the XenForo community would be the place to pursue this? Or perhaps somebody here?

8. The Sandman

+3,987
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. Mikey

Mikey mikeylicio.us

+208
    It seems like the old sub would only stop working because the endpoint is different?

10. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,320
    Surely it must be possible to make the endpoint compactable somehow.

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,414
    It will entail quite a bit of work. Choose a developer well versed in Paypal, vbulletin and xenforo.

12. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    Find the good parking space at a small popular pub on new year's eve that the coupe doors on your car can open fully so you don't look like a tool getting out of your sports car.

Im going to say that's going to be easier than finding a VB/xf Dev well versed in PayPal...

13. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,320
    What if you get two people - one who good at XF and the other good at VB and get then to work together?

14. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    OK.. getting two people to work on a project now you have 3 problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+770
    I know only one person but i dont think well know for sure he does not want to do it, but you can ask Shawn DigitalpointDigitalpoint . He knows both scripts and knows paypal.

16. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+390
    A forward won't work for a couple reasons... PayPal won't follow redirects or allow you to change the IPN URL for historical subscriptions. Additionally, vB uses different data than XF does as far as cross referencing who the transaction came from.

You are left with one option... build a unique script that matches the vB IPN URL and utilizes the data that vB feeds to the subscription setup that defines who it was from and what it was for.

I did it for my site, but it's only for my site. User upgrades are hard coded, etc. basically was built to serve a purpose for my site. Was not designed or intended for use for any other site.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  17. The Sandman

+3,987
    Out of curiosity, how long would you say it took you to figure out what needed to be done and then code it?

18. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+390
    Not too long because I didn't make it work for anything but my setup. Making something that is installable and works for other sites would have taken way longer. I was lazy and just hard coded everything I needed rather than build settings and stuff.

19. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+54
    Very interesting. Thank you for these updates...

20. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+390
    I think XF would be wise to have a native system to do it, as not having one literally prevents migration with many sites. I have thousands of user upgrade subscriptions, so if I had to lose them, it absolutely would have meant no immigration to XF.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted