VB is still a thing?

zappaDPJ

Could you exchange your 5.5 licence for 4.2X? For most communities there's plenty of mods for that.

Modern vBulletin licenses allow the license holder to download all previous versions of vBulletin. The problem is versions prior to 5 are EOL and won't run on supported versions of PHP.

spoky

Aspirant
ah ok!
No i was just asking on vb.com about vb6, and the answe is:
Code:
We're currently working on vBulletin 5.6.0. The software is under a constant state of refactor and improvement. You can see the roadmap in the tracker here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulletin5/roadmap

5.6.0 is milestone 48, the 48th release of vBulletin Connect. The highest sprint number is the current work. That could currently be Sprint240. So Sprint240M48 is what the developers will be doing for the next two weeks. Each release is usually 4 sprints or 8 weeks of development followed by 4-6 weeks of testing.

no revolution....
thanks for your answer

Kyrie

Habitué
ah ok!
No i was just asking on vb.com about vb6, and the answe is:
Code:
We're currently working on vBulletin 5.6.0. The software is under a constant state of refactor and improvement. You can see the roadmap in the tracker here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulletin5/roadmap

5.6.0 is milestone 48, the 48th release of vBulletin Connect. The highest sprint number is the current work. That could currently be Sprint240. So Sprint240M48 is what the developers will be doing for the next two weeks. Each release is usually 4 sprints or 8 weeks of development followed by 4-6 weeks of testing.

no revolution....
thanks for your answer

Ah, so not for awhile. I'm secretly hoping for a redemption arc.

Paul M

Super Moderator
There will never be a vB6, unless they just decide to randomly rename vB5, they have no one to develop a new version.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
There will never be a vB6, unless they just decide to randomly rename vB5, they have no one to develop a new version.
Never say never. Practical modern realities might simply get a working scripts (already released or not, wether made inhouse or otherwise) rebranded as "vb6".
Ditching php and even downloadable versions would make even more sense given that vBS kept trying to convert into a SaaS provider and php is a dying language that doesnt scale as well as alternatives.

spoky

Aspirant
i quite agree with that, like i said bigger problem for most of them it's that they don't have a lot of people working on.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
PHP is a dying language? I have to laugh every time I hear that, and I've been hearing it for at least a decade yet deployment keeps holding steady. Its actively developed, each version is faster than previous versions, and over time they've been streamlining it and deprecating things which caused many of it's short-comings though it still has a long way to go. 8.x looks to be another big jump in a performance like moving from 5.6 to 7.0 was.

There isn't even a close second, with ASP being at 11% and everything else in the single digits (or fractions). PHP has commanded about an 80% share of web sites for many years. The overwhelming majority of forums will never need the scale other alternatives such as Go have.

While there are notable exceptions, it's the enterprise operations who generally do not use PHP, for good reason (such as being very easy to write sloppy code). But there's no correlation between how good a language is, and its adoption rate, lol.

Kyrie

Habitué
PHP is a dying language? I have to laugh every time I hear that, and I've been hearing it for at least a decade yet deployment keeps holding steady. Its actively developed, each version is faster than previous versions, and over time they've been streamlining it and deprecating things which caused many of it's short-comings though it still has a long way to go. 8.x looks to be another big jump in a performance like moving from 5.6 to 7.0 was.

There isn't even a close second, with ASP being at 11% and everything else in the single digits (or fractions). PHP has commanded about an 80% share of web sites for many years. The overwhelming majority of forums will never need the scale other alternatives such as Go have.

While there are notable exceptions, it's the enterprise operations who generally do not use PHP, for good reason (such as being very easy to write sloppy code). But there's no correlation between how good a language is, and its adoption rate, lol.

Forgive me if this is naive but I'm only regurgitating information I've heard prior. Isn't most of PHP's install base (80%+) wordpress installations?

overcast

Adherent
Lot of people claim that VB is not in development. But meanwhile I see this on VB Forum.

zappaDPJ

Lot of people claim that VB is not in development. But meanwhile I see this on VB Forum.

I think it's fair to say vBulletin 5 is under constant development with regular releases. The bug count is still way too high though so I would be reducing those before adding new features.

Kyrie

Habitué

I think most people mean vBulletin 6.. Which I'd gather as there being too much wrong with vB 5 and should honestly just focus on next release redemption arch akin to "No Man's Sky"

spoky

Aspirant
Yes i think that vbulletin should really change strategy.
they are loosing everyone, and first the coders that make plugins.

whitetigergrowl

Enthusiast
Who has claimed that ?

I know I haven't seen anything about it not being in development. Though they do seem focused and hell bent on trying to mold VB 5 into...something. Last they said anything when asked, VB 6 wasn't even on the radar yet.

Personally they should sell VB to more capable developers at this point. It's just barely staying relevant at this point IMO as people continue to flood elsewhere.